PDA

View Full Version : Platformer PrC

Some Android
2018-06-26, 05:10 PM
I want to make a prestige class based on the video game genre Platformer. Not a specific protagonist from a platformer game/series - just a class that would grant one abilities similar to that of any generic video game platformer (like being able to casually jump 10 feet in the air, kill enemies by landing/stomping on them, and falling great heights without taking damage).

This is just a rough idea, and I have little fleshed out. I'd like feedback and suggestions. Right now I just have some rough requirements. This is for a D&D 3.5 campaign setting (not sure if other systems have prestige classes).

Requirements:

Skills: Jump 9 ranks, Tumble 6 ranks
Feats: Skill focus (jump), unarmed strike
BAB: +5
Special: This character must have reduced an enemy to or below 0 HP by falling or landing on top of them. The enemy must be the same size category or larger. The player cannot just do something like squishing a bug.

The class is obviously going to be combat based so a high BAB, and I'm thinking a d8 for hit die.

Maat Mons
2018-06-26, 06:12 PM
Double jump? Respawning at checkpoints? Temporary invulnerability after being hurt?

Some Android
2018-06-26, 06:43 PM
Double jump?

Oh yeah! That's good! Maybe an ability you can use x times per day where you make two jump checks for one check and add both results, or you just double the roll.

Respawning at checkpoints?

So you die, and can just conveniently come back to life? Seems a little OP for a tabletop game.

Temporary invulnerability after being hurt?

Maybe. Again a little OP. Maybe if you're dealt over a certain amount of damage you get DR 10/- for one full round. Maybe. Honestly that's just a video game thing in general (like checkpoints), and I want to focus on specifically platformers.

Saintheart
2018-06-27, 02:41 AM
So you die, and can just conveniently come back to life? Seems a little OP for a tabletop game.

Maybe some sort of Revivify-style power as a high-level class ability used once per day or something. It even has the flavour of "Mash X to stay alive long enough for someone to come over and revive you".

How about some sort of ability that allows you to bump something or push it into the air if you hit it from below, or similar?

Also, given it's a Platformer and you're doing the whole "2d scrolling" thing ... how about double movement speed if travelling horizontally on a tactical map? :D

Some Android
2018-06-27, 03:59 PM
Maybe some sort of Revivify-style power as a high-level class ability used once per day or something. It even has the flavour of "Mash X to stay alive long enough for someone to come over and revive you".

Maybe. Since people keep suggesting this maybe something like an ability you can instantly come back to life, but it takes like a month in game to recharge.

How about some sort of ability that allows you to bump something or push it into the air if you hit it from below, or similar?

Could work. I was also thinking of maybe having an ability where you can create bottomless pits for a limited number of rounds. Bump foes into the pit.

Also, given it's a Platformer and you're doing the whole "2d scrolling" thing ... how about double movement speed if travelling horizontally on a tactical map? :D

I could have increases to base land speed every few levels or something like that.

Also maybe some sort of ability where you can create platforms made out of pure energy you can stand on and jump to. Platforms could last maybe 1 minute per level of prestige class.

Goaty14
2018-06-27, 08:03 PM
Battle Jump (lets you charge somebody by falling on top of them) and then a bunch of charge multipliers to insta-kill anything you jump on: as a prestige class.

Seriously: you gotta have battle jump somewhere in there.

Saintheart
2018-06-27, 08:17 PM
Also maybe some sort of ability where you can create platforms made out of pure energy you can stand on and jump to. Platforms could last maybe 1 minute per level of prestige class.

Reflavour Tenser's Floating Disk along these lines as a Spell-like ability usable X number of times per day, and you're there.

Lalliman
2018-06-28, 03:30 AM
Oh yeah! That's good! Maybe an ability you can use x times per day where you make two jump checks for one check and add both results, or you just double the roll.
Double jumps aren't just for jumping further, they can be used to increase your air time, change direction, and avoid falling damage in games that have it. I would use something like: During your turn, while you are in the air, you can make a Jump check as a free action. Your current momentum is cancelled and you move in a direction of your choice as if you had jumped off solid ground. You can't use this again until you've landed on a solid surface.