PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Nature Domain Channel Divinity replacement.

nothinglord
2018-06-26, 09:44 PM
I'm currently making a little list of minor homebrew changes for personal use, and I'm trying to come up with a replacement for the Nature Domain's Channel Divinity and their 17th level ability Master of Nature since it's based on their CD. The reason I'd like to change them is that they're both highly situational, as Beasts aren't the most common enemy type and get considerably rarer at higher levels (making the 17th level ability even ****tier).

For their CD the easiest replacement I could think of was to give them the Oath of the Ancients' Nature's Wrath CD, but I don't know what to do for the 17th level ability.

Other suggestions for both abilities would be welcome, and they don't even need to be terribly powerful, since the rest of the Nature Domain's abilities are so good. All I want are abilities that are more broad in their uses.

bid
2018-06-26, 10:43 PM
For their CD the easiest replacement I could think of was to give them the Oath of the Ancients' Nature's Wrath CD, but I don't know what to do for the 17th level ability.
Replacing an out-of-combat utility with a combat wall...

You're better going for primeval awareness or anything else that has no combat value.

nothinglord
2018-06-27, 02:08 AM
I see no reason to restrict it to an out of combat ability, seeing as there's nothing that would imply it's solely that in the first place. However, I'm also not saying it can't be an out of combat ability. I just think it's too narrow in scope. Plus they already get Animal Friendship and Dominate Beast which covers half of both the base Channel Divinity and the level 17 ability.

MrStabby
2018-06-27, 04:48 PM
I think if you do, you should also change their level 6 ability. One is stronger than average, the other is weaker - together they cancel out. If you only change the weak ability you bring it in line levels 2 to 5 but then level 6+ you are a little out of line again.

nothinglord
2018-06-27, 05:44 PM
Would it not be possible to keep the Channel Divinity weak but make it less specialized? I'd like to keep the rest of the Domain the same. I just don't like how highly specific and focused the ability is.

Nifft
2018-06-27, 06:06 PM
Would it not be possible to keep the Channel Divinity weak but make it less specialized? I'd like to keep the rest of the Domain the same. I just don't like how highly specific and focused the ability is.

Just checking -- you know that you get both the Charm Animals & Plants ability and also the class-wide Turn Undead ability, right?

Those share your one Channel Divinity slot, so you can use one or the other, which means if undead are more common, then you'll have full use of the other specialized ability.

-- -- --

If you were already aware of that and the combo is too specialized for you, then my suggestion would be something that hinders or exposes a broad swath of anti-nature critters. Something like:

Channel Divinity: Pyre of the Unclean
As an action, present your holy symbol an declare loudly the righteous and overwhelming power of nature. All aberrations, celestials, fiends, and undead within 30 ft. of you are limned by green flames, which inflict 1d4+Wis fire damage, or no damage on a successful Constitution save. In either case, all valid targets are lit by distinctive green flames for 1 minute, shedding light like a torch even if one leaves the range of this effect. If there were no valid targets within 30 ft., you instead learn the direction and distance to the nearest aberration, celestial, fiend or undead. You don't learn which type of creature was indicated, nor anything else about the target, only its distance and direction.