PDA

View Full Version : Building a 1st level character... maybe Barbarian

Eric Diaz
2018-06-26, 10:29 PM
I need a character for a game tomorrow and I'm not really into optimization and a bit lazy to consider all options....

House rules include some limitations for heavy armor and a few free cantrips and spells (something like magic initiate for free, but we get spells from any list).

Character creation is point buy, plus four to a single stat. All published material by WotC allowed. Feats an MC included.

I usually play fighters, paladins and clerics. Thought I'd play a barbarian or monk for a change, or maybe something competently different. I like wizards but too many spells to keep track of... I don't like bards very much, and PHB rangers feel lackluster to me, but am okay with most other classes.

Anyway, is there any barbarian guide with XGtE included?

I don't care much for high levels, just something to get me started.

Any ideas, guides, pregens etc?

Thanks!

Speely
2018-06-26, 11:04 PM
Kensei Monk. Be a higher-sustained-damage monk from close or afar, and have options for defense. Plus, you can be an artist.

Seriously, it's a subclass that's very versatile and fun. I don't have links to post rn, but look into it. Kiting, tanking, controlling... All with above-average damage for a monk.

prototype00
2018-06-26, 11:48 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nonfictiongaming.com/2018/02/dd-5e-character-optimisation-barbarian/amp/

Here ya go.

Protato
2018-06-26, 11:59 PM
I made a Barbarian guide actually, specifically because of a lack of guides that covered expansions. You can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?557420-The-Age-of-Barbarians-A-Guide-for-post-Xanathar-barbarians), and I hope it's helpful.

CTurbo
2018-06-27, 02:01 AM
Point buy +4 to one stat? Yeah I'd go Half-Orc or Goliath Barbarian with a 20 Str from the start. You could start 20 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 8 Cha and go unarmored. Bear Totem is simple and effecyive. Wolf Totem is great if you have another melee beast in the party. You could start Variant Human for a feat like GWM or PAM.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-27, 11:15 AM
I made a Barbarian guide actually, specifically because of a lack of guides that covered expansions. You can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?557420-The-Age-of-Barbarians-A-Guide-for-post-Xanathar-barbarians), and I hope it's helpful.

+1 for Protato's guide. It's well done and considers a lot of options for non-standard barbarians.

DMThac0
2018-06-27, 01:37 PM
I just got done putting a barbarian together...he's a fill in for when a player is missing from a campaign I'm normally not a part of. If you're interested here he is:

Utgar Baulderkin Dwarven (mountain) Barbarian (entertainer: gladiator)

He's loud, boisterous and charismatic. He is a famous gladiator in dwarven circles, similar to wrestling stars, known as a "hero" figure like Hulk Hogan was in his prime. Born in a family who has a lineage that spans generations uncountable as worshipers of Moradin. His family's faith and patronage was gifted with a fire inside them that was able to ignite their fighting spirit like the forges. He was unrivaled in his youth as a fighter, and now in his adulthood he is still a powerful figure. His was a life of community, wealth, and clan.

19 Str
15 Dex
17 Con
11 Int
11 Int
14 Cha

Eric Diaz
2018-06-27, 03:33 PM
Thanks all, this is very useful!

For race, I'm thinking variant human... mostly because I prefer to play humans over dwarves and half-orcs, which I find a bit boring.

I'm a bit conflicted about axe + shield or greataxe. I love grappling, so maybe shield master.

Maybe some advice on spells too?

Awesome stuff. I notice paths do not have colors... any advice on those?

GlenSmash!
2018-06-27, 04:05 PM
Thanks all, this is very useful!

For race, I'm thinking variant human... mostly because I prefer to play humans over dwarves and half-orcs, which I find a bit boring.

I'm a bit conflicted about axe + shield or greataxe. I love grappling, so maybe shield master.

Maybe some advice on spells too?

Awesome stuff. I notice paths do not have colors... any advice on those?

Variant Human with Prodigy is my favorite grappler barbarian.

Maxilian
2018-06-27, 04:05 PM
IMHO, it depends what you want to play as, i normally try to go with interesting character concept (that actually works), for example, a Barbarian build that use the Charger feat (normally useless) but if combined with Moon Druid and some of its Wildshapes, you can have a good mobile character with a damage that scale just like the Rogue.

CTurbo
2018-06-27, 06:07 PM
I don't like shields on Barbs so I'd go Greataxe or Dual Wield Hand Axes and Grapple