PDA

View Full Version : Player Help So what is the point of hiding during combat?

holywhippet
2018-06-27, 01:02 AM
One of the actions you can take each turn in combat is the hide action. But is it really useful for most players? In the campaign I'm playing in one of the players is playing a rogue and one common trick he uses is to duck in through a door or however the party entered the battle, take a shot at an enemy, then duck back out and hide (as a bonus action). That is kind of redundant IMO since he has total concealment anyway. One time we were in a tavern battle though and he was firing his hand crossbows under the table while pretending to be drunk then using stealth so that enemies didn't realise who was firing at them.

In general though, I don't see the point of hiding during combat since you can't actually sneak up on an enemy. Unless you plan to try to escape detection or are laying an ambush I can't think why you'd take this action.

prototype00
2018-06-27, 01:30 AM
Triggers Sneak Attack and enemies can’t attack you on their turn if you’ve hidden from them.

Not played a Rogue but that’s why most of the weaselly fellas did it.

MaxWilson
2018-06-27, 01:36 AM
One of the actions you can take each turn in combat is the hide action. But is it really useful for most players? In the campaign I'm playing in one of the players is playing a rogue and one common trick he uses is to duck in through a door or however the party entered the battle, take a shot at an enemy, then duck back out and hide (as a bonus action). That is kind of redundant IMO since he has total concealment anyway. One time we were in a tavern battle though and he was firing his hand crossbows under the table while pretending to be drunk then using stealth so that enemies didn't realise who was firing at them.

In general though, I don't see the point of hiding during combat since you can't actually sneak up on an enemy. Unless you plan to try to escape detection or are laying an ambush I can't think why you'd take this action.

In addition to its uses for gaining advantage, it tends to be less redundant when you're hiding behind heavy obscurement instead of total cover. E.g. hiding in Darkness or a Fog Cloud to make it really difficult to attack you.

Contrast
2018-06-27, 02:30 AM
To clarify/be explicit about what the other two have said - you get advantage when attacking from hiding. This is obviously particularly relevant for rogues as they need advantage to sneak attack (plus only one attack a round so important to make sure it lands plus good benefits from crits which advantage increases the odds of) if they don't have a buddy standing next to an enemy and they get improved action economy due to bonus action hiding. It's mostly irrelevant for other people as giving up your action to get advantage usually won't be worth it (see the help action) but does mean when you're ambushing people etc you'll have an even nastier first round.

I have no idea when you mean when you say you can't sneak up on an enemy? As in OHKO them with a stealth kill? Advantage increases your chance of critting but thats your lot.

That all said you seem to discredit it as being only useful when trying to escape detection. The search action is only useful when looking for something, dash is only useful when you're trying to move faster. Seems an odd criticism to have :smalltongue:

holywhippet
2018-06-27, 05:51 AM
I have no idea when you mean when you say you can't sneak up on an enemy? As in OHKO them with a stealth kill? Advantage increases your chance of critting but thats your lot.

I mean if you try to move closer to an opponent while hiding you will generally get spotted automatically. So you can't move in close to sneak attack unless you can provide some kind of justification for it.

Unoriginal
2018-06-27, 06:07 AM
I mean if you try to move closer to an opponent while hiding you will generally get spotted automatically. So you can't move in close to sneak attack unless you can provide some kind of justification for it.

Have you read the "attacking while unseen" part of combat in the PHB?

carrdrivesyou
2018-06-27, 06:07 AM
My guess as to why people hide in a fight is to not die. lol

Millstone85
2018-06-27, 09:03 AM
Have you read the "attacking while unseen" part of combat in the PHB?Well, his post was practically a PHB quote.
In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the Dungeon Master might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack before you are seen.

MaxWilson
2018-06-27, 09:15 AM

Why move in close? For rogues, sneak attack works with ranged weapons. For others who are hiding for defensive purposes (e.g. Lore Bards who cast Conjure Animals and then hide to maintain concentration, because bards have crummy attacks anyway) you are going to use your movement to stay away, not approach.

Unoriginal
2018-06-27, 12:03 PM
Well, his post was practically a PHB quote.

Maybe, but it's missing the crucial part:

Unseen Attackers and Targets
Combatants often try to escape their foes' notice by hiding, casting the invisibility spell, or lurking in darkness.

When you attack a target that you can't see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you're guessing the target's location or you're targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn't in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the GM typically just says that the attack missed, not whether you guessed the target's location correctly.

When a creature can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it. If you are hidden–both unseen and unheard–when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

When you make your attack while hidden, you are unseen, so you do get the advantage. If you're only behind total cover, you don't get the advantage.

Yes, you reveal yourself, but it's only after the attack was rolled with advantage -be it a hit or a miss.

Of course if you attempt to do that in melee it's up to the DM to say if the target is actually distracted enough for your to hide while approaching, but as pointed out above, that kind of hit-and-hide are generally ranged for a reason.

DMThac0
2018-06-27, 12:32 PM
Rogues are an easy one to explain why hide is used, as is exampled by almost every post before me.

Not Rogue hiding:

Let's say you're in a room, in this room is one big bad boss. Also in this room you find there are a few fallen pillars, an alcove covered by a tapestry, and a rather large desk. There are 4 of you and one of him, but no sneaky type to do the hit and run because reasons.

The boss has two of your party members in front of him, smacking him in the face, and the third guy is tossing Firebolt like it's candy at a parade. It just so happens that the Boss has his back to one of the fallen pillars. You hide behind the pillar, then using your half-speed movement you move up to the boss, behind him.

Or, you drop the desk so it creates a half wall and have it next to the alcove. You use the desk as cover, then hide behind it. You then sneak behind the tapestry and into the alcove. The boss smashes the desk to see you aren't there.

---

There's ways to make hide work for you even if you're not a rogue, you just have to make it work for you.

Malifice
2018-06-27, 01:23 PM
If you're hidden, the enemy doesn't know where you are.

Thats an extremely good advantage to have.

holywhippet
2018-06-27, 05:57 PM
Related question - there are some spells like faerie fire which prevent a character from taking advantage of being invisible. But those spells say nothing about hiding. I can't imagine it is even possible to hide when under the effect of something that makes you glow (short of extreme methods like hiding in a crate. Should I assume that anti-invisiblity spells generally make hiding impossible?

MaxWilson
2018-06-27, 06:08 PM
Related question - there are some spells like faerie fire which prevent a character from taking advantage of being invisible. But those spells say nothing about hiding. I can't imagine it is even possible to hide when under the effect of something that makes you glow (short of extreme methods like hiding in a crate. Should I assume that anti-invisiblity spells generally make hiding impossible?

I can imagine situations in which hiding still makes sense. For example, you could hide from a blind guy even if you're under Faerie Fire. Another example: hiding behind rubble in a rubble-filled labyrinth.

The DM could certainly rule that there are certain situations in which hiding would not work at all, e.g. he could rule that you can still be seen through a Fog Cloud. It's hard to make a hard-and-fast rule though to cover all situations.

ImproperJustice
2018-06-27, 06:09 PM
As a GM, I would consider the Orc Shaman trying to avoid getting fireballed by your mage, pincussioned by the Ranger, or stabbed by the Fighter as “distracted”.

I mean, I get that we want some level of preventing abuse, but if the Rogue wants to be all ninja ish and use his actions to hit and run from the Shadows why not?

greenstone
2018-06-27, 07:36 PM
...firing his hand crossbows under the table while pretending to be drunk ...

That is a really cunning plan as well as a good example of hiding in combat.

Tanarii
2018-06-27, 08:38 PM
When you make your attack while hidden, you are unseen, so you do get the advantage. If you're only behind total cover, you don't get the advantage.
If you're completely behind (opaque) total cover, you're also unseen. Also if you're in darkness or other (total) concealment.

That said, most DMs seem to rule if you've successfully hidden, it means you can lean out from behind total cover to attack while retaining advantage on the attack.

Malifice
2018-06-28, 12:27 AM
If you're completely behind (opaque) total cover, you're also unseen. Also if you're in darkness or other (total) concealment.

That said, most DMs seem to rule if you've successfully hidden, it means you can lean out from behind total cover to attack while retaining advantage on the attack.
That's not a ruling. It's the rules RAW and RAI.

You dont reveal yourself until after the attack is resolved.

Unless you need to move up to your opponent from your hiding position, in which case its DM dependent (is your opponent sufficiently distracted).

Classic example is sneaking up behind someone to 'backstab' them.