PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Throw everything

Brightersidegam
2018-06-27, 02:37 AM
So, there have been discussions on how to build a character that can carry as much as possible, batter someone with someone else, whatever. So I'm not really going into detail as to how to build this character, I'd like more answers on how one would make rules for a character like this.

Level 6 goliath totem barbarian, powerful build from goliath, taking the tavern brawler feat for proficiency in improvised weapons (plus 18 str with point buy), and the bear totem at level 6 for double carrying capacity leads to a man that can carry a lot, and lift more.

The idea is that this hulk could, theoretically, throw big things. Chairs, tables, beds, rocks, VW Beatles, and while the rules don't explicitly state ranges for improvised weapons, our that they are throwing weapons in general, one could say that throwing anything is an improvised weapon

How would you rule this? Would you make a table or chart on what size item does how much damage? Would you have him make attack checks, or have his enemies make dexterity saving throws, or both? I'm not asking if you would allow it, but if allowed, how would you go about doing so?

Sjappo
2018-06-27, 06:51 AM
Well, the PHB gives the range for Improvised Weapons as 20/60 (p.148 first paragraph). Which I think is fine. It is on par with other thrown weapons like daggers, hammers and axes.

The damage for an improvised weapon is d4, which seems low for throwing a dumpster. I think I would go for 1d4 for small, 1d8 for normal and 2,6 for large objects. And just eyeball it. Chair? 1d8. Heavy oaken door? 2d6. Teapot? 1d4. That would be on par, or a little lower, than the expected damage output for such a character.

You could go for saving throws for large objects, but I would stay with attack rolls. More fun for the player.

I'd shy away from automatic damage, like half damage on a failed save or miss. My gut tells me that would unbalance it, for it would increase the damage output for the player. And it makes it much easier to hit, and kill, high AC low HP creatures like mages with Shield up.

Brightersidegam
2018-06-28, 02:18 AM
Ah, must have missed the range increments the first time around.

I can also see what you're saying with not doing damage on a miss/save, though I could also see arguments for the other side. Of course, these would be for the much larger objects that are more of a danger being hurled around you, rather then being 100% accurate with them (like throwing a fallen tree lengthwise at an opponent).

I don't know, nothing really else to flesh out here, huh. It's an interesting concept to say the least, and it does work with any race with the powerful build ability, do bugbears get that? Sneaky log or sneaky teapot doing 2d6 more damage would be kinda funny.

Vogie
2018-06-28, 08:16 AM
Depending on if your DM rules thrown improvised weapons as ranged or melee, you could do a 1 level dip in fighter for either Archery (+2 to hit) or Dueling (+2 to damage for things provided it's held with 1 hand... prior to being thrown)

As for how you'd work it for really big things, it'd depend on what type of attacks you were doing.

Taking a rock or lamppost and tossing it directly at a person like a differently-sized version of a normal weapon (rock being a very round dagger, lamppost being a large spear) would act like a weapon, with attacks working with AC as normal

Taking a larger object, like a dumpster or carriage, and throwing it, would be more of throwing the object in the air, then hoping it lands on the target. For that, I'd rule it more like a spell requiring a Dex Save:

Tossing an object that is larger than a weapon but a 5ft cube or smaller would act kind of like a heavy, nonmagical version of Create Bonfire - "Any creature in the object's space must succeed a Dexterity save or take 1d8 damage. (the DM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object)."
Tossing an object that is greater than a 5ft cube or less would act kind of like a heavy, nonmagical version of the first half of Flaming Sphere- "An X-foot object lands in a target area. Any creature within 5 feet of the object must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. (the DM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object)"
Then, you could scale up the damage based on the weight of the object thrown (rather than the player level) and obviously there wouldn't be concentration requirement