PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tempest Cleric possible multiclassing options?

Seba
2018-06-27, 05:46 AM
Hey friends,

Currently playing a Tempest Cleric (Str 18, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 9, Wis 20, Cha12) within my friends campaign, my initial plan for this character was to run Tempest all the way to level 20 because in prior campaigns my buddy restricted multiclassing. Although, in recent weeks he's finally come around and allowed us to multiclass, but with the mandatory investment of 5 levels into said class.

What multiclassing combinations have you tried and did you enjoy them?

Also, I'm unsure if this will play a factor in possible multiclass options (flavor and possibly optimizing?), but in my characters possession are 2 x javelin of lightning, a dagger of basilisk venom (HB), and demon armor. For flavor I feel like fighter might be pretty cool.

CTurbo
2018-06-27, 05:52 AM
What level are you know, and how do you play your character? Like front like warrior? Sit in the back and blast or javelin throws?

Seba
2018-06-27, 05:59 AM
Currently level 5, variant human(feat:warcaster), and my play style is adaptive to the encounter.

Party break down; we have a druid, paladin, rouge, and a sorcerer.

Laserlight
2018-06-27, 06:03 AM
One common Tempest MC is Sorc, but you don't have the CHA. I don't think you gain enough from Fighter to be worth losing the caster levels. I would stay in Tempest.

Willie the Duck
2018-06-27, 06:08 AM
First of all- rogue.

Anyways, sorcerer dip is common, so is fighter. However, I've always thought both of them to be rather... well I just think a straight tempest cleric does what people are trying to do with those dips just fine without. A 5 level investment in fighter has a straightforward benefit (extra attack, plus a fighting style, 2nd wind, and action surge).

Choice is up to you, but I would probably stick with cleric. Particularly with a 20 Wisdom, getting the higher level spells sooner rather than later will always be nice.

CTurbo
2018-06-27, 06:12 AM
Ah ok.

Well Fighter 5 is the most obvious choice. You'd get a Fighting Style which I'd take Defense or Dueling, Second Wind, Action Surge, Extended Crit range(Champion) or Battle Maneuvers, and extra attack. The Riposte maneuver is great on Clerics after level 8 since Divine Strike can be used with your reaction too.

Ranger 5 would be good too. Especially if you can use the US Revised Ranger. You'd get Natural Explorer, Fighting Style, Favored Enemy, some fun utility spells, extra attack, and either Hunter which would give you Colossus Slayer which also stack with your Divine Strike, or Horde Breaker. Gloom Stalker gets you a super powered first turn of every encounter(+10ft movement, extra attack, and extra damage), some extra spells(Wis based), and extra far darkvision.

If you had a 13 Cha, Sorcerer 5 would be great. You'd get Booming Blade, and any other Lightning Cantrip along with Lightning Bolt. Awesome on Tempest Clerics. Storm or Stone Sorcerer would be cool.

You could put +1 in Con and Cha at your next ASI to make this happen and it rounds out your Con too. If not, I'd definitely take Res(Con) next chance you get.

I also wouldn't multiclass yet as you'd fall behind with your spell progression too much.

Edit: I do agree with the guys above that a straight Tempest Cleric is really awesome. My favorite 5e class for sure.

Seba
2018-06-27, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, I guess I'll worry about multiclassing later on

Willie the Duck
2018-06-27, 12:21 PM
Ah ok.
Well Fighter 5 is the most obvious choice. You'd get a Fighting Style which I'd take Defense or Dueling, Second Wind, Action Surge, Extended Crit range(Champion) or Battle Maneuvers, and extra attack. The Riposte maneuver is great on Clerics after level 8 since Divine Strike can be used with your reaction too.

One exception to my 'no don't MC' advice would actually be with Eldritch Knight fighter. A five level dip would suck, given how MC rules work with 1/3 casters, but a 6 level dip would make for a pretty solid character. They would always be a mostly-martial type, however.

Specter
2018-06-27, 12:39 PM
With your stats, Fighter. Action Surge on Call Lightning? Don't mind if I do.

SirGraystone
2018-06-27, 12:39 PM
I would take 2 level of fighter for fighting style and action surge, you don't need more then that. Being able to cast two spells in the same round is great.

CantigThimble
2018-06-27, 01:19 PM
Although, in recent weeks he's finally come around and allowed us to multiclass, but with the mandatory investment of 5 levels into said class.

So you're only allowed to multiclass if you put 5 levels into the second class? If that's the case then I honestly don't think any multiclass would be worth it. Cleric is just strong and more spell slots at higher levels will do more than anything else for you.

The only things you have the option to multiclass into are fighter, barbarian and druid. Druid and barbarian both nuke your AC without giving much in return. Fighter is.. alright, but I wouldn't want to put 5 levels into it.