PDA

View Full Version : "Windows 10 Update Assistant"; Is this a virus?

Togath
2018-06-27, 06:17 AM
So suddenly my computer decided it needed some weird program called "Windows 10 Update Assistant", does anyone know if this is a virus?

snowblizz
2018-06-27, 09:04 AM
So suddenly my computer decided it needed some weird program called "Windows 10 Update Assistant", does anyone know if this is a virus?

No it's exactly what it says on the tin.

A program Microsoft installs via update to get you the next Big Update. Probably the April 2018 one.

With the caveat you should check the credentials of it. But it's totally a real thing that exists. I find it better than trying to get the whole thing via normla Update usually.

Togath
2018-06-28, 06:16 AM
Okay, yep, looks like I just rolled a 1 in my google attempt >///<
Yay for updates? I really ought to get around to downloading more.

snowblizz
2018-06-28, 06:41 AM
Hey, I started up mom's laptop after she asked about odd updates. Her Win 10 was about 4 major updates after everything. Even the Windows Update Assistant wanting to run an update was 2 "editions" behind. I noticed the numbers listed were kinda odd: "16something??, didn't my real computers just put in an 18something".

You're hopefully better than that.

Bohandas
2018-06-29, 10:04 AM
Not technically. It's not technically a virus. It's a part of the Windows OS.

However, like a virus it'll run even if you don't want to and it may potentially break your computer.

If you want to disable it, you need to go ino services and turn off the updater, go into web connections and check "this is a metered connection" on all your internet connections, and possibly also block Microsoft using your hosts file