PDA

View Full Version : Huh. Conjure Celestial, Elemental, Fey... no Fiend?

Segev
2018-06-27, 09:07 AM
I just noticed this gap in the list of "outsider"-equivalents 5e references in the Conjuration line. There isn't a way to conjure minor or full-fledged fiends, that I can find. We have conjure celestial, conjure elemental, conjure fey, and even conjure minor elementals/animals. But nothing to summon up fiends.

This is odd, because in older editions, those were the easier and more common things to summon. Am I missing a way to do so short of gate? Or is this a major departure from prior editions?

MaxWilson
2018-06-27, 09:10 AM
I just noticed this gap in the list of "outsider"-equivalents 5e references in the Conjuration line. There isn't a way to conjure minor or full-fledged fiends, that I can find. We have conjure celestial, conjure elemental, conjure fey, and even conjure minor elementals/animals. But nothing to summon up fiends.

This is odd, because in older editions, those were the easier and more common things to summon. Am I missing a way to do so short of gate? Or is this a major departure from prior editions?

It's in Xanathar's.

leogobsin
2018-06-27, 09:23 AM
Xanathar's Guide has Summon Lesser Demons, Summon Greater Demon, and Infernal Calling, also in the PHB Planar Ally can be used to summon Fiends.

Segev
2018-06-27, 09:33 AM
Planar ally is one I missed, then. Odd they'd hold back the Fiend line for Xanathar's, though. Does it not follow the pattern of the other Conjure [outsider] spells?

TundraBuccaneer
2018-06-27, 10:26 AM
The summon fiend spells are different, you can look them up in google. But for example the demon summoning spells just gets the fiend(s) on your plane not on your side so the might attack you but you could make a protective circle in blood if you have it. Also knowing the true name of fiends grand control

MaxWilson
2018-06-27, 03:57 PM
Planar ally is one I missed, then. Odd they'd hold back the Fiend line for Xanathar's, though. Does it not follow the pattern of the other Conjure [outsider] spells?

The fiend summoning spells tend to be more powerful (higher CR summons) but riskier (may lose control even with concentration).

Kane0
2018-06-27, 04:04 PM
Even stranger, you can summon Fey, Beasts, various outsiders and create Undead but actual monsters are missing. As in monstrosities.
Dragons, Oozes, etc I can understand as they are considerably more niche, but Monstrosities would have been a great option for a summoning spell.

Maxilian
2018-06-27, 04:24 PM
Even stranger, you can summon Fey, Beasts, various outsiders and create Undead but actual monsters are missing. As in monstrosities.
Dragons, Oozes, etc I can understand as they are considerably more niche, but Monstrosities would have been a great option for a summoning spell.

To be fair, i think it would make more sense to be able to "create" monstrosities instead of summoning them (Just make the creation unstable, so after the spell pass it just dies in a horrible and painful way)

It seems that Monstrosities are normally better than most beasts of the same CR (Not really better, but just more nasty combat wise), making them more dangerous for the sake of combat balance and things like those (so i would expect them to have a "I ****ED UP!" moment like the Demons)

Note: I imagine that we will, eventually, get a spell (or something) to get monstrosities just like how we got demons.

Kane0
2018-06-27, 04:47 PM
I couldn't wait and made my own :smallamused:
The sorcerer I'm DMing is really enjoying the Hippogriff, though I imagine he will soon start upcasting to get a Grick as they really need a proper meatshield.

Segev
2018-06-27, 04:48 PM
Given how many monstrosities have "a wizard did it" as their origin explanation, I wouldn't be surprised if it became a class focus for a wizard archetype, or something similar. Or got rules like magic item creation. (Though the rules for that are...well, they're discouraging, compared to the versatility and affordability of 3e's magic item creation. I understand it's to make it less something players do, but still...)

Kane0
2018-06-27, 04:59 PM
Given how many monstrosities have "a wizard did it" as their origin explanation, I wouldn't be surprised if it became a class focus for a wizard archetype, or something similar. Or got rules like magic item creation. (Though the rules for that are...well, they're discouraging, compared to the versatility and affordability of 3e's magic item creation. I understand it's to make it less something players do, but still...)

Xanathar's also provided an alternative to that, bringing down the time required from years to weeks.

MaxWilson
2018-06-27, 06:42 PM
Xanathar's also provided an alternative to that, bringing down the time required from years to weeks.

Tangent: under Xanathar's rules it is totally feasible for a Necromancer to equip his whole skeleton platoon with Longbows +1, which is huge against certain monsters like golems.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-27, 07:03 PM
Tangent: under Xanathar's rules it is totally feasible for a Necromancer to equip his whole skeleton platoon with Longbows +1, which is huge against certain monsters like golems.

As long as he can quest for the key items that are needed for each item and can get his hands on a pattern (which is rare, not uncommon like the items themselves). It's explicitly in the hands of the DM as to availability/requirements of those items.

Hawkstar
2018-06-27, 07:29 PM
If I had to guess? As the flagship RPG system for the whole market, and the scars of the Satanic Panic that STILL linger, the PHB is not interested in catering to demonic-evil PCs.

Nifft
2018-06-27, 07:36 PM
If I had to guess? As the flagship RPG system for the whole market, and the scars of the Satanic Panic that STILL linger, the PHB is not interested in catering to demonic-evil PCs.

Satanic Panic is only a problem when mom forgets to take her medically prescribed Reefer Madness.