PDA

View Full Version : Should my fighter grab rogue levels now?

Degwerks
2018-06-27, 10:29 AM
I'm ready to level to 5th. Now i know that normally you want to grab extra attack right away but hear me out first.

I'm a wood elf and only have dex and wisdom as good scores giving me bonus to rolls. I've got Archery Style and Crossbow Master. So 2 attacks already. I'm an EK with custom cantrips for booming blade and greenflame blade to work only on my ranged attacks. Which will be better at 7th level EK. I have Bracers of Archery that works with bows & crossbows. I've got a cloak and boots of elvenkind and Gloves of Thievery and the Urchin background.

My party is a vengeance paladin, tempest cleric, divine soul sorcerer, swashbuckling rogue dual wielding, and a glamor bard. Plus myself a ranged fighter. I've been playing like a rogue with stealth and high perception, our rogue has a negative wisdom mod. My hit points are lowest in group so I snipe and kite.

I'm thinking that currently i have the best time now to take the rogue level, since I have 2 attacks with my magic hand crossbow and my feat. Plus the party has really solid AOE now with fireball, call lightning and shatter. 4 of us have a maxed main stat and accuracy is good with the front lines and cantrip casters.

I don't feel that I will be behind on anything now if I grab that level of rogue. Expertise on stealth and perception will be great, an extra skill and 1d6 sneak attack will be great too. But I'm still wondering if I might regret that 7th level fighter will seem really far away if I take 1level of rogue now.

My plan was gloom stalker ranger 4, EK 7 and Scout rogue 9. With ranger coming after EK 7 Rogue 1.

Thoughts about this?

hymer
2018-06-27, 10:53 AM
I would stay the course. +50% offensive power handily outstrips the rogue stuff, and the combination of multiple attacks and Action Surge is just so tasty. The only way I'd even consider it, is if Stealth or Perception are really important in my game, and I'm not doing well enough on them. +3 in two skills and +1d6 damage sometimes... Meh.

nickl_2000
2018-06-27, 10:57 AM
You already have double advantage on stealth checks (between the cloak and the boots) so really there isn't much need for expertise in Stealth and you have a bonus action in crossbow expert. So, I don't see the major bonus that you get from taking a level or two in Rogue right now.

Go to level 6 in Fighter and pick up Sharpshooter for +10 damage on each of the 3 attacks and it will be a much, much bigger different than the 1d6 sneak attack when you can get it.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-27, 11:01 AM
You already have double advantage on stealth checks (between the cloak and the boots) so really there isn't much need for expertise in Stealth and you have a bonus action in crossbow expert. So, I don't see the major bonus that you get from taking a level or two in Rogue right now.

Go to level 6 in Fighter and pick up Sharpshooter for +10 damage on each of the 3 attacks and it will be a much, much bigger different than the 1d6 sneak attack when you can get it.

I agree with this really good advice.

Degwerks
2018-06-27, 11:29 AM
Alright I'll just get to fighter 7 first and then branch out.
Thanks everyone