PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Necropolitan - Unholy Toughness

Thurbane
2018-06-27, 06:56 PM
So, several Undead have the Unholy Toughness (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=2) special quality:

Unholy Toughness (Ex): A boneclaw gains a bonus to its hit points equal to its Charisma modifier x its Hit Dice.

Is there any RAW legal method to get this ability onto a Necropolitan?

I'm thinking Ability Rip, but was looking for it to be permanent rather than temporary.

I'd like to avoid Polymorph/Shapechange if at all possible.

Cheers - T

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-27, 08:04 PM
Have another use ability rip on the undead in question, then fusion/astral seed? Metamorphosis/polymorph into something different on each of you to make it even better.

Silva Stormrage
2018-06-27, 08:08 PM
Hm, not many realistic ways pop to my mind right now. Obviously there are the "Can do anything" methods like Illithid Savant, Manipulate Form and Epic Spellcasting but I don't think thats what you mean.

Likewise you can do it via roundabout methods. For example, dry Liches get it. Which can be gained via the Walker in the Waste PRC or just by taking the template.

If you become a Dry Lich and you have the humanoid heritage feat (Which means you are treated as human for all effects) it's arguable that you could then become a necropolitain after becoming a Dry Lich.

But in that situation you are basically just a Dry Lich anyway so I don't see why you wouldn't just stay a dry lich.

I am not sure there are any specific ways to get Unholy Toughness as a PC except via Dry Lich.

Edit: As noted above Astral Seed can do it as well but thats a slippery slope IMO.

JoshuaZ
2018-06-27, 08:10 PM
Is the goal here to get Unholy Toughness without the level adjustment?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-27, 08:19 PM
I know you said you didn't want to, but a thought occurs. Since undead can polymorph/alter self/metamorphosis into other undead, how about master transmogrifist? You can turn into undead and even non-undead and add the quality to them. Works even better if you started as a changeling and then became a necropolitan.

Thurbane
2018-06-27, 09:13 PM
Is the goal here to get Unholy Toughness without the level adjustment?

More or less. Necropolitans tend to be the best/easiest playable Undead, but with no Con modifier, can sometimes be very fragile.

I know there's other methods to boost HP, but Unholy Toughness would be great on a Cha based Necropolitan.

Dry Lich is OK, but not really viable at lower levels.

I tend not to use Psionics, but I'll have a look at the other methods mentioned.

One Step Two
2018-06-27, 09:23 PM
Perhaps GM Fiat to make the Special Quality a feat? There's already a precedent for Cha to HP, Unholy toughness and Beauty's Bounty (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a). It'd be a highly specialized version of Improved toughness for undead only.
You may already know, but for anyone else interested, being turned into a Necropolitan in a Desecrated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/desecrate.htm) area attached to an unholy shrine should give you +2HP her HD!

The Viscount
2018-06-27, 09:34 PM
I can't replicate the full effect, but the Bloodtouched Rite from PGtE pg 23 if done before becoming a necropolitan will give you Cha mod in hit points. Depending on how exactly the rite works you may be able to game the system somewhat. If it constantly checks your Cha for hp, items boosting can be helpful. If it only checks what your Cha mod was at the time of the rite, you could pre-buff to get maximum effect out of it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-27, 09:50 PM
How's your Int score? Faerie Mysteries Initiate FTW!

Thurbane
2018-06-27, 11:46 PM
How's your Int score? Faerie Mysteries Initiate FTW!

Ugh, I seriously hate that feat. I mean, it's nice mechanically, but "engage in an exuberant sensual act" with some kind of Fey wannabe? There goes my street cred as an adventurer! :smalltongue:

Zanos
2018-06-27, 11:51 PM
Ugh, I seriously hate that feat. I mean, it's nice mechanically, but "engage in an exuberant sensual act" with some kind of Fey wannabe? There goes my street cred as an adventurer! :smalltongue:
It lasts until changed, and I think you have to be an Elf to take it, so it happened in your younger years when your ears were just starting to really come in. :smalltongue:

I don't think necropolitian is that squishy if your baseline is a wizard. It has the HP of an 18 con wizard if you take average, and of a 26 con wizard if you have max HD. Not great past 15 when you can just use veil of undeath all day, but still.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-28, 12:05 AM
Ugh, I seriously hate that feat. I mean, it's nice mechanically, but "engage in an exuberant sensual act" with some kind of Fey wannabe? There goes my street cred as an adventurer! :smalltongue:Hey, just say you engaged in the subject of Gilderoy Lockhart's newest novel, Singing With the Satyrs.

Well, he calls it singing, anyway.

Thurbane
2018-06-28, 12:08 AM
If I'm reading Dry Lich correctly, it comes with a whopping LA +5, and you cannot take the template without having done all 10 levels of Walker in the Waste?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-28, 12:21 AM
If I'm reading Dry Lich correctly, it comes with a whopping LA +5, and you cannot take the template without having done all 10 levels of Walker in the Waste?So take WitW for 10 levels, hit yourself with a negative level, allow it to become permanent, cast greater restoration to set your XP to the appropriate character level (HD+LA), store it in a thought bottle, hit yourself with a bunch of negative levels, allow them to become permanent, then restore from the thought bottle and take something other than the 10th WitW level to immediately gain 5 levels?

ViperMagnum357
2018-06-28, 12:23 AM
If I'm reading Dry Lich correctly, it comes with a whopping LA +5, and you cannot take the template without having done all 10 levels of Walker in the Waste?

It has both LA and a means to take the template via class-the former is generally regarded as a poor choice. The latter eats the level adjustment as part of the class, which was confirmed by some of the writers. However, because it is not explicitly spelled out in the book, DMs with strict RAW readings sometimes argue a player has to eat the LA on top of the 10 class levels. Not a settled topic, but most people seem to accept just taking the class through its capstone sidesteps the LA like other template granting classes.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-28, 12:24 AM
However, because it is not explicitly spelled out in the book, DMs with strict RAW readings sometimes argue a player has to eat the LA on top of the 10 class levels.Muahahahahaha!

Yael
2018-06-28, 12:41 AM
Well, there is this feat in the World of Warcraft RPG (in Dark Factions or Horde PG, I don't remember which) that's called Mind over Matter, which replaces Con with Cha for HP, and it's an undead feat.

Just wanted to tell~

*flies away with 3rd party sources*