PDA

View Full Version : TO experiment/question regarding Unearthed Arcana bloodline and Uncanny trickster..

animewatcha
2018-06-28, 02:29 AM
Many of us read up on Unearthed Arcana's minor, intermediate, and major bloodlines. Different camps as to EXP cost in regards to when gain them and whether count as class levels in regards to Level 20 builds. This TO experiment/question is regards to the 'class abilities' aspect.

Premise 1 per the book Unearthed Arcana- Bloodline ability versus class-ability-advances operate on the 'At each level basis'. So bards get extra bardic music, but barbarians don't get extra rages per day.

Premise 2 per the book Complete Scoundrel - Uncanny trickster advances original base class abilities from 2nd level onward with wording of 'at each level after 1st' despite only being a 3 level prestige class. Uncanny trickster gets bonus tricks 'at each level' as well. There is also an adaptation section that says replace bonus trick with bonus feats 'that enhance mobility and defense' ( Aka huge interpretation here for what is allowed ).

Experiment - to is this Doable/Legal ?

Bard X + Uncanny trickster 3 + Bloodline 3

equalling

Bard music number of times per day being bard X level + 8 via uncanny trickster and bloodline.
8 being 3 from bloodline base + 2 Uncanny trickster + 3 more from bloodline advancing the class feature since wording of 'at each level'.
This also being with Bard X + 5 levels of bard class features. As well as 6 bonus feats 'that enhance mobility and defense'.

Is this doable/legal?

Segev
2018-06-28, 06:07 PM
I have a definite bias for how I interpret it, so take that with a grain of salt, but my reading of UA Bloodline Levels is that, no, you don't get the bonus tricks. What it advances is calculations based on level. You don't get extra spells known or spell slots, but your CL goes up. You don't get additional tricks, but you do get to count your UT level as one higher for any calculations based on it. Hellfire Warlocks do get the increased damage, because the class actually calculates the damage based on HFW level, not based on specific levels giving you the bonus in the table. Rogues, however, get sneak attack at specified levels, not based on a formula, so they don't get more sneak attack.

It's not the most balanced distinction in the world, but it is what I think the RAW actually say.

Falontani
2018-06-29, 01:54 AM
snip

I was with you understanding what you were saying through most of that. I believe you would get away with 5 additional uses. You advance one classes abilities (cl, things you get every level, etc) from your bloodline. Applying it to uncanny trickster is nice, granting you 3 effectively extra levels of class features on top of the three additional favorite tricks and bonus tricks.
3+2 from bloodline and trickster.