PDA

View Full Version : Starting DM

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-06-28, 04:39 AM
Im currently starting to DM and im having the setting be a middle of no where town where the group can help build/set up the town and explore the near by areas. which i have informed them they might want to invest in RP skills. Swimming/Climb/Survival/Craft/profession etc.

I have some very rough ideas of what the town has to start. inn/Blacksmith/general store. There not going to be over flowing with gear/items since its going to be frontier pretty much. And everyone is starting out fresh. I figured first game could be them exploring the town a bit and then ofc going out to adventure/quest. I know goblins can be a good "go to" for first time (or rats I know :P) Is there any good 3.5 modules suggested to help me Support my fresh DMness?

Icarium
2018-06-28, 05:44 AM
It's always good to have a look at Sunless Citadell and see if it fits your campaign :)

1st to 3rd level spanning campaign with rats, kobolds, goblins, an evil druid and even a small dragon for good measure :D

zlefin
2018-06-28, 07:30 AM
A hard day's knight is a decent starter module; as it's a simple one-off dungeon crawl for lvl 1 chars and can be fit into most settings easily enough.
edit note: got the name wrong, fixed in a subsequent post

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-06-28, 07:33 AM
Ty for the suggestion. Been reading a Manga (goblin slayer) and i feel like allot of monsters are under utilized or not given enough credit. So i think I'm going to re spin some monster lore and how they act for my game. Plus enough of my players are gamers so i have found out I can use minecraft to "create" my town/maps etc. Which will be a interesting way to add "immersion" into it XD

A hard day's knight is a decent starter module; as it's a simple one-off dungeon crawl for lvl 1 chars and can be fit into most settings easily enough.

I cant find that one using my google fu

zlefin
2018-06-28, 07:35 AM
Ty for the suggestion. Been reading a Manga (goblin slayer) and i feel like allot of monsters are under utilized or not given enough credit. So i think I'm going to re spin some monster lore and how they act for my game. Plus enough of my players are gamers so i have found out I can use minecraft to "create" my town/maps etc. Which will be a interesting way to add "immersion" into it XD

I cant find that one using my google fu

I misremembered the name:
actual one is "A Dark and Stormy Knight"

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-06-28, 07:40 AM
That brought it right up! I can always use that as a "intro" to the area. Since I'm going to have them help expand the town and make it grow. So it would be a great location to "check" for fortification of a watch tower! Thank you.

Gerner
2018-06-28, 07:46 AM
If you don't mind doing some rework I like the module "Against the cult of the reptile god" it is an old AD&D module, but I think it has a nice story and a really good fleshed out town (with a little to many details) It takes the PC from 1 to about level 3.

I am also used "A Dark and Stormy Knight" as zlefin refers, with works fine.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-06-28, 07:55 AM
I'm not against reworking old ones into new ones. As for details I love em. It sure beats "the town looks like any other" vs " The town while average looking has unique traces of the mixed inhabitants giving each building a taste of other cultures".

But thats me. I'll make sure to look into that one. I placed them near Forest/Mountain/River with plains/hills on the other 2 sides (1 past the river) giving me ample "space" to fit in what is needed in as needed.

AnimeTheCat
2018-06-28, 08:07 AM
I find the below link to be helpful in identifying adventures at a glance.

Wikipedia Link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_adventures)

I especially like the second list that starts with "The Burning Plague" because those were free to download by WotC between 2000 and 2005 and are still fairly widely available on sites like Drivethru RPG and such.

I also have played and enjoyed both The Sunless Citadel and The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde which both start at level 1.

CMagnum
2018-06-28, 11:39 AM
I second running a module for your first experience. However it is great to run your own creation as well.you should do what you would like to do certainly.
As a new group learning the dynamics and system, having a base to reference for everything from stats to encounter ideas was great for me as a DM! I used the Red Hand of Doom module and thanks to the community here there is a great handbook and comments that are still ongoing in a thread here (just search red hand).
Not to say anyone can't do a good job in their own right ; I found having some guidelines to number of creatures VS the party and Cr all together as not being always appropriately guaged; but these as stepping stones helped me be a better DM.
Red hand for the win

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-28, 11:46 AM
This might help. https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures

Zaq
2018-06-28, 11:55 AM
This isn’t what you asked, but it’s important for all new GMs to hear:

You WILL screw up, and that’s okay.

I don’t have time to wax too poetic about it, but it’s true. You WILL screw up, and that’s okay. Do your best to keep moving, keep learning, and keep improving.

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-28, 12:14 PM
For this sort of setting/adventure, I would make one suggestion. Create a group of NPCs who have motives that compete and/or conflict with the PCs and are operating in the same area - possibly even out of the same settlement. Don't make them direct adversaries the PCs have to battle (at least at first), but rather just a group that you can use to nudge the PCs in the right direction whenever things start to go off-track. If you are familiar with The Mummy (1999 starring Rachel Weisz and Brendan Fraser), there was a group of Americans heading after the same treasure as the protagonists that served just this sort of purpose. As long as the PCs are on-track, the NPC group can keep showing up too late, after all the treasure has been looted/the damsel rescued/etc. But if the PCs are stuck at some point having trouble figuring out where they need to go next, you can have the NPC group take the lead for a while, with the PCs playing catch-up until they get back on track.

I've found this technique useful early on with a new party, until I get a real feel for what works and what doesn't work with the group in question. Once the NPC group is no longer needed, they can meet a horrible end (to create tension for the PCs who find their bodies just before facing the BBEG) or even turn into a group of villains the PCs have to face.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-06-29, 01:39 AM
I love that idea and yes I recall the movie well. (remember when it came out) i think i will definitely do this in some way/variety. Thank you for the links to sites to look at/up and modules to use and run off of! And I know i will make mistakes. its life "to err is human" and such. :D

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-07-02, 06:47 AM
So with the advice of people who posted on here and suggested adventures or ideas.

My Players are running as Barb rogue caster and I am going to be npcing a cleric for them to give them some roundness for line up.

I going to set up A dark and stormy Knight via (outwatch tower/ base) a mile out of town as a possible Adventure

Scourge of the howling horde if they decied to go poke around with reports of goblins being unusually aggressive (with my race altering of sterotypes) i think its going to work great.

And last but not least sunless citadel which is going to be a days journey to a ravine that has the unusual "ruins" on both sides.

As well as the idea of a "alt" party to keep em on there toes. Which ever Quest the part takes. The Npcs will get a shot at the open ones. For the npc party i figured Fighter/Cleric/Ranger/Sorc Sort of standard party set up.

Any suggestions or alterations anyone would suggest?