PDA

View Full Version : Touch Spells

cartejos
2018-06-28, 06:42 AM
When you cast a touch spell, you are allowed to immediately make a touch attack to deliver it.

When using an ability that lets you hold the charge with a weapon, are you allowed to immediately make a weapon attack to deliver it?

I haven't found an example that states if you are allowed to make the weapon attack, and it seems that it could also be forcing you to take separate actions to cast the spell and deliver it.

tyckspoon
2018-06-28, 09:35 AM
There is no single standardized ability for doing this, so the answer is going to depend on the text of the particular ability you're trying to use. For example, Duskblade's Arcane Channeling is pretty clear that the cast and the attack take the same action - that one works mostly the same way a normal touch spell does, just replacing the touch with a weapon attack. Spellsword's Channeling ability doesn't involve an attack at all; for that one you pre-set the spell in the weapon and hit somebody with it later.

PunBlake
2018-06-28, 11:22 AM
The two lesser-used methods are lesser-used for a reason.

Smiting Spell (PHB2) is the same as a Spellsword's channeling: alter the range of the spell from touch to a melee weapon (or ammo) you hold... except it's a metamagic +1 feat, so intrinsically worse.

Havoc Mage (Mini) has the least restricted version of spell + weapon attack in Battlecast (no restriction to touch spells, make a full attack and cast any one spell with no AoO as part of a full round action), but the chassis has rogue BAB and 3/5 spellcasting.

Most versions of spell + weapon attack don't break action economy. Havoc Mage is the only one that does to my knowledge, but everything else about it is terrible.

Fizban
2018-06-29, 12:08 AM
I don't remember any 1st party abilities that let you hold the charge "on a weapon" -and if there were I'm sure they'd be quite popular, since as mentioned there are limits built into most 1st party options.