PDA

View Full Version : Monk and magic items

Hukkle
2018-06-28, 08:25 AM
Hi !

I come here in need of your help ! I am new to playing D&D and I began my first campaign (my second really but the first doesn't really count for reasons unimportant for this thread).
I am playing a monk and I am 4th level as of now. Last session our DM told us that if we had a list of magic items that we wanted we could give it to him and that he'll see whether he'll and them to his magic item tables (I guess it will depend on who got less recently and which level we are at).

But being new at this makes it so that I don't even know iconic magic items.
For now those are the one I found interesting:

Bracers of Defense (Rare + Attunement). My friends told me about this one.

Cloak of Displacement (Rare + Attunement)

Ring of Protection (Rare + Attunement)

However these are defense focused, and I wondered whether there were some items that I could have missed that allow monks to get an attack or damage roll bonus ?

Thanks for your help !

nickl_2000
2018-06-28, 09:27 AM
-A magical Spear or Staff is always good for a monk
-There is something called the Insignia of Claws from Hoard of the Dragon Queen that give +1 to attacks and damage of unarmed strikes
-Cloak of Protection
-Absolutely the Bracers of Defense
-Goggles of Night if you don't have nightvision
-Robe of Eyes gives you bonus to perception and gives you darkvision and ability to see invisible creatures
-Winged Boots - Because flying!
-Wand of Magic Missiles - this is awesome for pretty much anyone

Outside of the Bracers of Defense there isn't all that much that feel like it was made for a Monk. However, those are great for you.

Hukkle
2018-06-28, 10:03 AM
Thank you ! I'll look into these as soon as I can !

Scarytincan
2018-06-28, 10:09 AM
Short sword of wounding, staff of striking are good offensive contenders. Could also enquire about a possible home brew such as +1 or 2 handwraps due to the insignia precedent, or possibly something that increases the DC of monk abilities akin to rod of the pact keeper

CTurbo
2018-06-28, 10:09 AM
My Long Death Monk had a +1 and then +2 Quarterstaff which was awesome. He also had a +1 Ring of Protection which is great on any character. He got Bracers of Defense for a while but I ended up giving those to the Sorcerer because I didn't need an AC of 23 as I was already nearly impossible to kill. The DM gave me some homebrewed Bracers of Striking which added +2 to damage when attacking with a weapon in 2 hands or +1 to damage when attacking with a weapon in one(either) hand or with unarmed strikes using my fist or elbow. I, and everyone else at the table, thought they were a reasonable magic item basically no more powerful than Bracers of Archery which gives +2 to all Bow damage. Ask your DM about making them for you.

Amulet of Health is great on anybody with less than 19 Con
Boots of Speed would be crazy on a Monk.
Boots of Elven Kind would be decent.
Cloak of Protection is pretty much the same thing as Ring of Protection.

Everything mentioned above is (rare) except the +1 staff and Bracers of Archery which are (uncommon)