PDA

View Full Version : Desing-your-own spells system?

paallikko
2007-09-09, 10:45 AM
I have been searching for something like this for a long. You know, there are epic spells, DM's guidelines and incantations, but there isn't any system for making your own, 1-9 lvl spells. Have someone in these boards really invented one? Or in other message boards. Sorry for my crappy english. (I also posted this to wizards boards)

Irreverent Fool
2007-09-09, 01:59 PM
I have been searching for something like this for a long. You know, there are epic spells, DM's guidelines and incantations, but there isn't any system for making your own, 1-9 lvl spells. Have someone in these boards really invented one? Or in other message boards. Sorry for my crappy english. (I also posted this to wizards boards)

Creating a modular system would pretty much be pointless because anything you could conceivably make with it would already exist or be able to be reproduced via an existing spell and a metamagic feat.

The idea to creating your own spells was always to create something unique and personal. This is how the Bigby's hand spells came to be I would reckon.

Jacob Orlove
2007-09-09, 02:31 PM
You could take a look at http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/magicsystem.html

It's awesome, but basically a complete rewrite of the magic system, so it doesn't work with the standard PHB spellcasters.

Journey
2007-09-09, 03:49 PM
I actually ran a game once where the only spells my wizard ever got were those he found on scrolls or that the player had him invent out of his own imagination. That's all it takes, really--some imagination. You don't have to have a rule for every single thing a character might do or try.

Just write a spell description and negotiate with the DM for spell level, components, and actual effects.

Thinker
2007-09-09, 04:47 PM
I actually ran a game once where the only spells my wizard ever got were those he found on scrolls or that the player had him invent out of his own imagination. That's all it takes, really--some imagination. You don't have to have a rule for every single thing a character might do or try.

Just write a spell description and negotiate with the DM for spell level, components, and actual effects.

Yeah, but having rules is helpful so you know what you're doing. If everything were free-form, why would you even need dice?

Journey
2007-09-09, 05:07 PM
Yeah, but having rules is helpful so you know what you're doing. If everything were free-form, why would you even need dice?
Er, we don't have to have either extreme. In this case, how is designing a spell that conforms to the rules of the D&D magic system "free-form?"

slexlollar89
2007-09-09, 05:13 PM
I aloow players to make their own spells, but they have to actually test/research them IN character. This takes time and money, but allows for a more personal touch to wizards and sorcerers. I have them compare their spell results to the spells in the player's handbok, and then test them at varying levels (+/- 1-2) until I see them fit well.

The only thing is, no on has decided to make their own sells yet :smallsmile: !

Kurald Galain
2007-09-10, 06:47 AM
I've always allowed wizards to have a custom-designed spell as one of the spells they gain at level up (it's never come up for sorcerers, but I would allow that too).

In my experience most players are reasonable with this and don't try to create uber-cheesy things. You can compare new spells to existing ones for an idea or two, or simply estimate whether they'll have significant impact.

Examples have included Create Sword (L1 or L2 conjuration iirc, as expected it conjures a sword, for a gish character), Fire Lasso (L3 invocation, a ranged touch attack that entangles and does damage-per-round until removed) and Poof (L1 spell that creates a burst of smoke that lets you run away or do something unnoticed).

I'm sure that most of these are available in some splatbook or other, but that's beside the point as my group simply hasn't read all of those.

Draz74
2007-09-10, 11:27 AM

Search the forum for old threads. I've seen a couple ideas for freeform spells on the "Homebrew" forum here at GitP. I've seen a lot of ideas for freeform spells on the "Unearthed Arcana and House Rules" forum at the Wizards boards. I haven't really liked any of the ideas, but you might.