PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Valor bard mc suggestions

Taebyn
2018-06-28, 02:36 PM
I am rerolling into a campaign that I left about seven months ago. The campaign goes to level twenty and has 2 levels gestalt. My plan was to go 19 valor bard, 1 fighter, and my 2 free gestalt levels in fighter to get champion. Looking for suggestions for multi class besides champion. I think of the fighter classes I’d choose champion, even though samurai is pretty tempting. Not sure if something else would be better. The DM really punishes us, hence the power level of gestalt and a free feat.
Half elf
19 valor bard
Lv 9 spells
2 attacks per round
magical secrets: swift quiver

3 champion
Crit range 19-20
Archery fighting style
Action surge
Second wind

Feats:
Sharpshooter
Crossbow expert
Elven accuracy
Asi/asi/asi (free one at level one)

This will allow my support class to pepper out up to 4 shots a round by level 10.

I mostly put out a couple shots and buff.

At my most selfish at highest level: I could be using foresight and elven accuracy for 4 shots a round. Crit fishing!

Open to suggestions over champion. Thanks for your time.

MagneticKitty
2018-06-28, 02:43 PM
Paladin 3 / bard x swords
Is what I'd do.
Strength build with heavy armor.
Either defense + dual wielding + dual weilder + mounted combat + lances (2) + find greater steed.
Or defense + dualing + mounted combat + lance and shield

Or

Paladin 6 + bard x (not swords or valor)
And you have a nice aura. Same build as above with lance and shield. Basically trading dual wielding (second fighting style) for an aura

Edit: oh valor... I forgot that was a thing since I like swords more. Lemme re read valor. Same build will work minus the dual wielding one.

WhiteWolf
2018-06-28, 04:21 PM
From experience, I can say that getting your first level in Fighter before going Valour Bard can be very beneficial. Con saving throws, all armour & weapons and a fighting style can really give you an edge if you're looking to play the warlord/marshal type battle leader character. My character was a Half-Orc who wore heavy armour and wielded a longsword and shield, good AC for a bard and with the protection fighting style he really filled the role I was looking to play.

If you are looking to play a ranged combatant I guess you'll be relying on Dex for AC, rather then heavy armour and a shield but I reckon it will still prove an effective build. Have you considered Arcane Archer over Champion? I guess the thing to weigh up is; is the extra skill, cantrip and 2 uses of Arcane Shot per short/long rest going to be as good as doubling your chance to crit, and is critting for the extra 1dx that strong compared to the versatility of Arcane Shot?

Is UA material allowed? Because if so the Brute subclass may be a better or at least more reliable option for extra damage. Always on +1d4 may make a larger impact than +1d8/10 (depending on weapon) per crit. Not done the maths but it may be worth considering.

Whatever you choose, have fun being a badass bard and go kick some butt.

CTurbo
2018-06-28, 07:03 PM
I like it. I wouldn't bother with Crossbow Expert though and use a Longbow instead. Swift Quiver would make Crossbow Expert mostly useless.

I'd probably at least consider a couple levels of Rogue for Cunning Action and more Expertise. You could go Valor 17, Champion 3, Rogue 2. Of course this gives up 2 Magical Secrets.

Valor 17, Fighter 2, Ranger 3 would be really good too especially if you can use the UA Revised Ranger. You lose the expanded crit range, but you'd gain either an extra free attack(Horde Breaker) or an extra 1d8 damage(Colossus Slayer) per turn, or Gloom Stalker gives you better darkvision and a super powered first turn of extra +10ft movement and an extra attack + damage that stacks with Action Surge. You also get a second Fighting Style that could either be Defense or if possible, the Close Quarter Shooting Style.

bid
2018-06-28, 07:57 PM
Looking for suggestions for multi class besides champion. I think of the fighter classes I’d choose champion, even though samurai is pretty tempting. Not sure if something else would be better.
Champion 3 is prolly the worst pick of the lot. Improved critical even weaker since you are limited to 2 attacks per turn.

Brute will do better if you want simplicity, BM if you can juggle the extra complexities, samurai if you want an extra skill.

Taebyn
2018-06-28, 09:01 PM
I’ve read all of your suggestions and instead of quoting each of you, I’m just going to reply.

I am focusing on archery. So str builds and Paladin wasn’t a good option for me, because they don’t get the archery fighting style.

I hadn’t thought of going fighter as first level, but will contemplate it.

Of the fighter subclasses I weighed champion over arcane archer because the static crit range seemed to add a lot to the character. Arcane archer adds a lot the other fighter classes don’t get. I feel like 19 bard is a lot of versatility though. I hadn’t seen brute and really like the 1d4 bonus a lot. I was playing around with the idea of kensai and brute just seems to fit way better.

As far as rogue, scout looked pretty good. I feel like between swift quiver and inspiration and other bonus action spells, I won’t benefit from cunning action as much as most would.

Ranger looks decent will have to read up on gloom stalker.

Crossbow expert also allows me to shoot and cast in mellee without incurring disadvantage.

Thanks for all of your time. Keep the suggestions coming in. I’ll be checking for awhile.

CTurbo
2018-06-28, 10:56 PM
The Close Quarters Shooter style let's you shoot in melee without disadvantage too and also gives you +1 to attack rolls. Pairs perfectly with the Archery Style for that +3 bonus which makes Sharpshooter even better.

Ask your DM if you could even take Close Quarters Shooter and also would the Revised Ranger be allowed. Then read up on the Revised Ranger and Gloom Stalker. Both are great. The revised Ranger is almost OP for small 2-3 level dips.

I can kinda agree about Cunning Action, but it's a great thing to have when you REALLY need it. I'd much rather dip Ranger than Rogue though.

MrStabby
2018-06-29, 01:31 AM
Taking some levels in hexblade could also work. Hexblade 3 would be enough to get you using a bow as a pact weapon (I think, away from book at the moment).

Alternatively 5 levels gets you the extra attack and you can take lore bard for the bard parts. Using Cha as your attack stat AND casting stat means more ASIs for cool feats and stuff. You still get level 9 spells at the end of the campaign but are trading a spell level or two for more martial power, more spells known and short rest recharge on slots. You might also find being able to use a pact weapon as a focus useful for your bard spells as well.

Degwerks
2018-06-29, 08:25 AM
Since you have Crossbow Expert already, I'd look into getting Holy Weapon instead. It lasts for a hour, does 2d8 radiant damage and you can cast it on someone else if you wanted to.

And right before the spell ends you can dismiss it for an AOE.

Taebyn
2018-06-29, 02:22 PM
Thanks turbo, I’ll look into that. Let’s hope the dm goes for it.