PDA

View Full Version : warlock/eldritch knight build help

richardbob123
2018-06-28, 03:35 PM
need help with build a warlock/eldritch knight build and i would like to do dual wielding and i want to get people opinions

Sorlock Master
2018-06-28, 03:46 PM
need help with build a warlock/eldritch knight build and i would like to do dual wielding and i want to get people opinions

Dual wielding to what end? Keep in mind if your dual wielding you can't cast spells without the war caster feat.

Brawnspear
2018-06-28, 05:47 PM
Dual wielding to what end? Keep in mind if your dual wielding you can't cast spells without the war caster feat.

He can if he takes improved pact weapon I believe.

Biggest issue I can see about dual wielding is if you get up to Eldritch knight 7 you are not using your bonus action attack as effectively as you could. A big weapon plus spamming eldritch blast can be fun, or using a shield and pact weapon for the added ac and having a bonus action attack after a cantrip. But if we are talking dual wield for role play purposes, we are talking dual wield!

I'd suggest starting fighter for the armor and con saves, and setting your casting stat based on the one you think you'll be attacking with most often. I'd use EK spells for utility over attack and concentrate on charisma for your offensive spells.

You have a couple options for a melee fighter-lock, I think one of the questions you need to ask is if you want 3 main hand attacks or lifedrinker for charisma to your pact weapon. Biggest shortcoming of a dual wielding blade lock is that you can only make one Pact weapon, so all of the shinies you pick up from war lock will only apply to one blade that you're wielding.

Unless you were planning on going hex blade which would let you only care about Charisma for both you Pact weapon and one weapon per long rest, I'd suggest taking a look at the Shadow Blade spell, use that for your main hand and your pact blade in your off. Hex is also a solid standby, but it will take your bonus action to move each time.

With heavy armor prof you can pick up Heavy armor master as well which would extend the life of your armor of agathys if you wanted to wade in and get smacked around. I'm currently playing a Barb-Lock and I have found that fiendish vigor is also handy when combined with rage (or HAM).

My favorite idea to do for the EK/Lock however is the Arcane Cannon. Sadly, as all optimal warlock mcs do, it uses hexblade. Go blade pact , Grab crossbow mastery and sharpshooter, Pick up a heavy crossbow. Push charisma through the roof, grab agonizing blast and improved pact weapon. Lock 3 Fighter 7 you get to launch your fully buffed eldritch blast, followed by a -5+10 heavy Crossbow bolt, all based off charisma while wearing heavy armor.

Slybluedemon
2018-06-28, 05:47 PM

You would need the War Caster feat to cover your S components if you want a weapon in both hands. You would still need a free hand to fulfill the M component. Just keep that in mind when picking spells and wanting to duel wield.

You should take Variant Human for the Dual Wield feat for free. Next, I would start off in fighter so you get proficiency in all armor and weapons.

You should take fighter till 5th level so you get your second attack then you can take your warlock after that. You should take the War Caster Feat at 4th level to support your dual wielding. I would do 2 levels to get some nice Warlock Invocations but take 3 if you want to get the Blade Pact weapon or Tome or Chain.

The rest could be Eldritch Knight. Remember when you multiclass you miss out on higher level features. So if you do EK18/Warlock 2, you will lose an ASI and your last Extra Attack. If you do EK17/Warlock 3, you miss ASI, Extra Attack, and Inproved War Magic.

It really matters what you want, do you want to be a Fighter with magic or a Mage with some weapon skills?

Slybluedemon
2018-06-28, 05:53 PM
He can if he takes improved pact weapon I believe.

If he takes Improved Pact Weapon that would cover his M Components but not his S Components, If he wanted to be able to use all the spells he has access to he would still need the War Caster Feat

Degwerks
2018-06-28, 06:57 PM
It's all going to boil down to how many levels of each class you need. I'm going to assume that you don't want to go farther than 7 levels in EK. I'd just take 8 EK and then 12 Hexblade for the 6 asi's.

Then I'd bring my dexterity to 20 then cha to 20. Leaving you 2 Asi for fears. Warcaster and whatever. I would use Shadow Blade as my main attack and my pact weapon as my bonus action attack.

TundraBuccaneer
2018-06-29, 09:37 AM
If you want to be a dual wielding caster, you might want to look in a swords bard & hexblade multiclass. They get to use charisma on 2 weapons, there should be some threads here or somewhere else.

Byke
2018-06-29, 09:45 AM

I have found that EK/Lock make the best machine guns in the game. If you aren't to hung up on dual wielding. a 7 EK/ 2 lock (X-bow/EB ) get 3 attack per round (X-bow + 2 EB). One of the best sustained DPS in the game. (X-bow + 4 EB at higher levels)

After 9th you can keep going in either EK or Lock or switching to Rogue can also add more damage.