PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever write a handbook for psionic focus?

thorr-kan
2018-06-28, 05:32 PM
My Google-fu is not finding anything. Have I missed something?

PhantasyPen
2018-06-28, 05:35 PM
I can't say I've ever come across one, there's probably a basic entry somewhere in a general psionics handbook though. What do you need to know?

Nifft
2018-06-28, 05:42 PM
Probably you'll see stuff on Psi Focus in Psion and Psychic Warrior guides.

What are you looking to do with it?

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-28, 08:59 PM
That's a great idea. You should make one. We are all here to help

thorr-kan
2018-06-28, 09:22 PM
Just looking to know if it's ever been done.

Troacctid
2018-06-29, 12:09 PM
There's not a ton to say about it. You can use it to take 15 on Concentration, and some psionic stuff cares about it. And that's psionic focus.

Mike Miller
2018-06-29, 12:17 PM
There's not a ton to say about it. You can use it to take 15 on Concentration, and some psionic stuff cares about it. And that's psionic focus.

I really want to make a new thread with this quote, titled "Troacctid's Guide to Psionic Focus"

Seems legit

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-29, 12:34 PM
There's also some utility there for initiators and those feats that make the concentration check a move action. You can just keep recycling your favorite expended maneuvers by spending and regaining your focus.

Also kalashtar have some neat feats.

Let's not forget psionic focus + undersong, gain your focus by playing the drums...

It's finding the worthwhile stuff to spend that focus on.

thorr-kan
2018-06-29, 02:38 PM
There's also some utility there for initiators and those feats that make the concentration check a move action. You can just keep recycling your favorite expended maneuvers by spending and regaining your focus.

Also kalashtar have some neat feats.

Let's not forget psionic focus + undersong, gain your focus by playing the drums...

It's finding the worthwhile stuff to spend that focus on.
I'd think a guide would include ideas for boosting concentration, an analysis of psionic feats, and interaction with other subsystems.

I'm new to psionics, so I was hoping to benefit from others' expertise.

Nifft
2018-06-29, 02:52 PM
I'd think a guide would include ideas for boosting concentration, an analysis of psionic feats, and interaction with other subsystems.

I'm new to psionics, so I was hoping to benefit from others' expertise. Some of the existing Psion guides do discuss interactions with other subsystems, at least somewhat -- hopefully enough, but maybe not?

Take a look at the various Psion Handbooks and Psychic Warrior Handbooks and see if what you're looking for is in any of those.

If it's not, then at least you'll have identified the gap.

If it is, then great! :smallsmile:

ViperMagnum357
2018-06-29, 03:44 PM
There is the Instinctive Consummator feat, allowing you to expend your focus to automatically confirm a critical threat. I have seen a couple of recent threads where this was brought up, especially to take advantage of things like Vorpal and some crit fisher builds.

flappeercraft
2018-06-30, 12:35 AM
Hmm can't find one. I do have a lot of free time for the immediate future so I will probably start to write it to burn time and since I am trying to learn psionics more in depth it would also be research I would do regardless. I'll start working on it in like an hour and will edit link in when I post it even if it's still a WIP.

Edit: Actually reading into Psionic Focus more in depth, while there is support for it, there is not too much of it. Making a handbook for it would be basically just a feat compilation, there is nearly no point in writing a handbook for it.

thorr-kan
2018-07-16, 04:14 PM
Edit: Actually reading into Psionic Focus more in depth, while there is support for it, there is not too much of it. Making a handbook for it would be basically just a feat compilation, there is nearly no point in writing a handbook for it.
It would be more of mini-handbook than a real handbook.

But beside feat selection, there is the interaction with the Concentration skill, soulshaping (I think; AFB), and initiating. Maybe some others as well.