PDA

View Full Version : Stormcaster: Thunder lap ability verification

CMagnum
2018-06-28, 08:39 PM
So as the title says I would like verification on two parts of the Thunderclap ability.

Firstly:is the effect centered on you? There is no designated range so I assume it is a self centered burst ability in terms of range.

Secondly: does the fort save rely on the spell that you sacrifice? If it's a3rd level spell slot will it be 3d4 with a fort save of 10+spell level only? Does your cater level effect the save?

It doesn't seem clear to me and while I see the ((Su) it can't be based on caster level of I'm correct)) as just based on spell slot level, after level 3 as a character (12 fort at level 3 is still weak) it seems unlikely to have the desired effect that the publisher intended.

What are your rulings on it?
Thanks as always

CMagnum

Edit :writing on my cell phone

Mato
2018-06-28, 09:29 PM
Hi CMagnum, you should know what you are asking for is a GitP argument.

Unless specified otherwise, a supernatural ability has a default save DC and if you go by that then you have to make an illogical appeal that the relevant modifier should be your spellcasting modifier. However it references a cleric's spontaneous substitution ability which replaces one spell with another that is equal in level and the example text very clearly states the DC is based on the substituted spell level. It's a "raw" vs "the rest of the uncontradicted rules" debate and GitP loves to waste people's time on it.

As for the range, I'm simply going to mention that you must have a line of effect to the targeted area. You cannot shoot it through walls for example.

animewatcha
2018-06-29, 01:21 AM
Closing thing to official answer would be the NPC stat block for thunderclap where it says Fort save 10 + spell level to half damage and negate stun.