PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea of a Kobold build and i want suggestions

Radek
2018-06-29, 01:43 AM
Iīve been playing about a year and i always use humans as my predilect race, but i want to adventure into one of the races that has been drawing my attention: kobolds.

Iīve played Fighter, Rogue, Favored Soul, Dread Necromancer and a low level Monk. My favorite class is the Favored Soul. I like spellcasters who get to fight in the front line, and i want to improve this build iīve been thinking for a while.

For the build, the general idea is a Kobold who one day in the search of the dragon listened the call of Bahamut and jumped into a kind of divine quest. I know kobolds racial scores are bad, but iīll try get it better without increasing the level adjustment.

For the race, i choosed jungle kobold (Unearthed Arcana p.15) in order to mantain intact the constitution score sacrificing intelligence instead, also take the Draconic Rite of Passage (Races of the Dragon p.43), so i get a Sorcerer 1st spell level as a spell-like ability in exchange of 1hp. Iīd like to talk more on the spell selection later in the post. For the class, iīll take Favored of Bahamut (Dragon Magic p. 13), which lets me take a sorcerer 1st level spell as a Cleric spell to add it at my spells known at class level 1, and another one 6ft level or lower at class level 12. As well as Claws attack, and Dragontouched feat (+1 hp and skill bonuses). The priorities on scores will be in this order: Wis, Cha, Dex, Con, Int, and Str.

Now letīs talk about feats and flaws. Dragonwrought (RotD p. 100) is a must. It grants low-light vision and darkvision, also i choosed Gold dragon as the lineage, and it gives me a +2 bonus on heal skill. But most importantly, it letīs me take ability boons due aging effects without the ability penalties, so adding the boons of venerable age to the race score modifiers will be something like this -4 str, +2 dex, +1 int, +3 wis, and +3 cha. (If i canīt start at venerable age, maybe i can get it at level 6 cursing me three times with the Bestow Curse variant given in Book of Vile Darkness (p. 28) which throws you into the next age category). Then iīll take two flaws, but i donīt know which ones are the best for this, i think Shaky (UA p. 91) would do it since i want to be meleer, the other one could be Murky-eye, Unreactive, or Innatentive, iīm not sure. Then i would take Dragon-blooded (Ultimate Feats p. 167) and stick to gold dragon lineage to get a +1 on all saves, and, if iīm correct, another +1 on the saves because kobold is still a reptilian (at this point iīm pretty sure i must play Lawful/Good because of my deity and the dragon lineage). The third feat would be Spirited (UF p. 68), because gives me a +2 on damage and kind of compensates the str penalty.

For the Skills, since i havenīt made rolls yet and iīd like to come up to my DM with a more solid character idea, iīll just assume i have an int score of 10, so class skill points will have to do it. I think Concentration will be useful, and the other one would be Spellcraft, Knowledge Arcana, or Sense Motive.

On the spells, since i have a sorcerer 1st level spell as a spell-like ability, and another one on my known spells that i can treat as a divine spell (and i hope it means no arcane spell failure), i must select both of them with care. I think Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, or Reduce Person would be decent choises, i need something that could be useful almost always, but i havenīt read more arcane spells than Playerīs Handbook. For the sorcerer 6th level spell i can choose on class level 12, i think Tenserīs Transformation could be a great idea.

Thatīs all i have planned till level 1, maybe Intuitive Attack (Book of Exalted Deeds p. 44) at level 3 to attack with wis instead. However, iīd like to read your ideas, critics, corrections and suggestions on the character. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-29, 09:19 AM
For a 1st level sorcerer spell as a 1/day SLA that has a CL that scales with your Character Level, I'd usually aim for either an important holdout spell (like Instand Diversion from RotD), a spell that I'm usually going to keep up most of the day (like Appraising Touch from SC), or something that I'm only going to use once per day (like Vigilant Slumber from CM). Mage Armor or Feather Fall from the list you provided would both fit here.

For a 1st level sorcerer spell that you are going to be adding to your Favored Soul class list, I'd look for something that falls outside the normal abilities of divine casters. This wouldn't just be spells that have both a cleric and sorcerer version, but rather spells that have an effect that can be accomplished some other way with a divine version. Trying to think of a good example, I believe Charm Person is something that a favored soul wouldn't be able to accomplish easily some other way. (But there will probably be a dozen Playgrounders here who will be able to show me otherwise!)

DarkSoul
2018-06-29, 10:15 AM
Before people come in and tell you to take epic feats because you're playing a venerable dragonwrought kobold... just don't. It saves on the dice- and book-throwing later.

lylsyly
2018-06-29, 11:36 AM
Before people come in and tell you to take epic feats because you're playing a venerable dragonwrought kobold... just don't. It saves on the dice- and book-throwing later.

Don't forget that it also causes a 2 page discussion turn into twenty pages ;D

Having said that, there are some epic feats that you can qualify for without the cheese. Poor feats true, but everything is useful to someone.

DarkSoul
2018-06-29, 12:14 PM
It's too bad Bahamut has neither the Law nor War domains. Their devotion feats would be a good way to compensate for the low Strength score. It would mean going cleric rather than favored soul though.

Radek
2018-06-29, 12:15 PM
For a 1st level sorcerer spell as a 1/day SLA that has a CL that scales with your Character Level, I'd usually aim for either an important holdout spell (like Instand Diversion from RotD), a spell that I'm usually going to keep up most of the day (like Appraising Touch from SC), or something that I'm only going to use once per day (like Vigilant Slumber from CM).

Yes, i think the same: a SLA that iīll use daily, or something that will help me on a tight situation. Vigilant Slumber seems a great spell.

Before people come in and tell you to take epic feats because you're playing a venerable dragonwrought kobold... just don't.

I think is better avoid discuss with my dm if i can take epic feats. Also, many of the presented on Draconomicon requires that the character has either really high scores, the ability to fly, or to be large, so it seems to be out of my range.

I tought Reduce Person would be useful to keep control on character size to be almost always smaller than the opponents, so i donīt lose dmg bonus and atk bonus (if i take Giant Fighter (UF p. 46) at level 6) on larger creatures. But i could take other feats that arenīt circunstancial.
Also, if i take Mage Armor as SLA, would it be a good idea if i focus on get a really high AC? I mean, something like stacking, if is possible, Mage Armor (as LSA), Shield (as divine known spell), and Shield of Faith? If these stack, it would be like +10 AC. If iīm already trying to capitalize my Wis, it would be good if i dip one level, like character level 2, on Monk class to adquire Wis to AC?

Radek
2018-06-29, 12:26 PM
It's too bad Bahamut has neither the Law nor War domains. Their devotion feats would be a good way to compensate for the low Strength score. It would mean going cleric rather than favored soul though.

Itīs too bad that the FS has no domains at all, is a downside on the class in general (aswell as the lack of turn/rebuke), but i like it anyways, so iīm trying to compensate it with feats like Spirited (+2 dmg), or Giant Fighter (+2 atk), the problem with these is that both of them requires me to be smaller than my opponent. Could i take a dip level on cleric or another class to improve this build? Iīll see the Bahamut domains.