PDA

View Full Version : Bard dipping Hexblade choices

ZorroGames
2018-06-29, 09:01 AM
First there is the issue of my build.

Seriously considering Swords Bard because I usually play only in AL games. Tried one private group but found the DM seemed to enjoy killing PCs a bit too much.

Character is an in game friend of my wife’s character.

Half-Elf, customized Urchin background.

ST 8
DE 15+1
CO 13+1
IN 8
WI 12
CH 15+2
Adding Elven Accuracy asap.

Hexblade lets me use use, via Hex Warrior, Medium Armor, Shields, and Martial Weapons.

EB plus Agonizing and (see low) either Armor of Shadows or Devil’s Sight or Repelling Blast.

Should I switch DE and CO and then use Medium Armor and Shield or leave it as is and use Armor of Shadows Invocation Invocation every hour to have Mage Armor plus Dex? The PHB spell says you cannot use it if you wear armor but does not specifically forbid a shield. 13+3 DE would be AC 16 adding +2 Shield would be AC 18. Not Shabby.

ZorroGames
2018-06-29, 09:04 AM
moved this question to new thread.

Degwerks
2018-06-29, 09:19 AM
Yeah bard/warlocks are fun. I'd pump up dex to as high as you can and use it for attacks. My reasoning is when you learn Shadow Blade you can't make attack rolls with it using charisma. It will pair well with Elven Accuracy. Take two weapon fighter when you hit bard 3. 3 attacks with Hex up can pile on the damage.

ZorroGames
2018-06-29, 09:37 AM
Yeah bard/warlocks are fun. I'd pump up dex to as high as you can and use it for attacks. My reasoning is when you learn Shadow Blade you can't make attack rolls with it using charisma. It will pair well with Elven Accuracy. Take two weapon fighter when you hit bard 3. 3 attacks with Hex up can pile on the damage.

Hex warrior allows CH to channel through weapon in place of ST or DE. CH Rapiers, CH maces, etc., plus Shadow Blade, while a powerful spell, is a spell I may never use with Hex Warrior given other options.

Byke
2018-06-29, 09:57 AM
1 Hex/19 Bard or 2 Hex /18 bard (For Agonizing blast + 1 invocation) is the way I would go...4 levels of lock is not worth losing bard caster levels).

Sigh Elven accuracy is banned in all of our games now. After my Vengeance Sorlock, kept one/two shotting all of the BBEG :)

Degwerks
2018-06-29, 10:30 AM
Hex warrior allows CH to channel through weapon in place of ST or DE. CH Rapiers, CH maces, etc., plus Shadow Blade, while a powerful spell, is a spell I may never use with Hex Warrior given other options.

Yeah I know, I've got a Hexblade 14 Pally 6. Problem with hex warrior is that "after a long rest you can touch a weapon and use your charisma to make attacks and damage rolls" the way it is worded doesn't allow for Shadow Blade to work with charisma but any other weapon is fine.

I've had luck using Shadow Blade to help pour on the damage and preserve my spell slots. I use it for when i'm not sure if we can get a short rest in. Saving my spell slots for later.

ZorroGames
2018-06-29, 10:39 AM
Yeah I know, I've got a Hexblade 14 Pally 6. Problem with hex warrior is that "after a long rest you can touch a weapon and use your charisma to make attacks and damage rolls" the way it is worded doesn't allow for Shadow Blade to work with charisma but any other weapon is fine.

I've had luck using Shadow Blade to help pour on the damage and preserve my spell slots. I use it for when i'm not sure if we can get a short rest in. Saving my spell slots for later.

Point taken.

ZorroGames
2018-06-29, 12:12 PM
1 Hex/19 Bard or 2 Hex /18 bard (For Agonizing blast + 1 invocation) is the way I would go...4 levels of lock is not worth losing bard caster levels).

Sigh Elven accuracy is banned in all of our games now. After my Vengeance Sorlock, kept one/two shotting all of the BBEG :)

Well this is AL so no banning Feats. 😇

And I really think since this character is planned for summer gaming only unless my wife feels more fun vibe in our games I will not get to high levels. Planning 10th level may be optimistic.