PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you don't care about your PC anymore?

jaappleton
2018-06-29, 09:56 AM
I hear often how people are so excited to play their Character Name, Race Class and how fun they are. And they have these cool stories to tell about their character, and they can't wait to see X or Y from their motivations come into play.

What happens when you're not feeling it? What happens when you don't have that?

Is it the character? Is it me? The game? What can I do?

I find myself at a point where I get excited about the concept of D&D. But not playing. And I don't want to DM.

So... What's going on?

nickl_2000
2018-06-29, 10:00 AM
This is completely a guess based on your posts that I've seen on here, so take it with a grain of salt (and it isn't meant to be offensive).

It appears that you build your characters based on power/optimization more than based on their story. If this is true, you aren't attached to the character as much as you would be if you built them with a story. You have a video game character instead of someone you are "living." That alone makes a huge difference.

If this is true, then you need to get into the character more. Find what it is about them as a person that is interesting and expand on that. Encourage the social tier of the game more and live more in the imagination verses in the combat simulator. Does he have a quirk that is particularly interesting, is he overly attached to an NPC, overly protective of his horse? What makes him special in your mind and run with it.

2D8HP
2018-06-29, 10:03 AM
Maybe the playstyle/adventure isn't to your taste?

Maybe you enjoy the "build minigame" more than actually playing?

What have you played that your finding lackluster?

What sorts of adventures have you experienced?

Seekergeek
2018-06-29, 10:47 AM
I had a similar experience about a year ago. I even made a thread about it. What it boiled down to, for me, is that I burned myself out on theory craft. For every character I played, I built six more. I spent hours a week creating characters that would never see the light of day and somehow knowing that deadened me to the pleasure of playing the ones I had on the go. For me it was as simple as taking a break for a few months from thinking about or working on 5e more than a couple hours between sessions.

jaappleton
2018-06-29, 11:05 AM
This is completely a guess based on your posts that I've seen on here, so take it with a grain of salt (and it isn't meant to be offensive).

It appears that you build your characters based on power/optimization more than based on their story. If this is true, you aren't attached to the character as much as you would be if you built them with a story. You have a video game character instead of someone you are "living." That alone makes a huge difference.

If this is true, then you need to get into the character more. Find what it is about them as a person that is interesting and expand on that. Encourage the social tier of the game more and live more in the imagination verses in the combat simulator. Does he have a quirk that is particularly interesting, is he overly attached to an NPC, overly protective of his horse? What makes him special in your mind and run with it.

No offense taken, Nickl.

Over half the topics I make regarding potential builds is just fun theory crafting.

Occasionally I have a class concept in my head, independent of the character, that I want help refining (My Healing Gish topic, for example).

I think you're right in that I need to play someone with more quirks and motivations other than being good at what their class is.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-29, 11:09 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Seekergeek-- it sounds like you're a little burnt out. Take some time off from 5e, maybe do a campaign with a different system or just have a board game night for a few weeks, then go back in with new energy.

nickl_2000
2018-06-29, 11:32 AM
No offense taken, Nickl.

Glad to hear that it landed as I hoped it would.

Over half the topics I make regarding potential builds is just fun theory crafting.

Occasionally I have a class concept in my head, independent of the character, that I want help refining (My Healing Gish topic, for example).

I think you're right in that I need to play someone with more quirks and motivations other than being good at what their class is.

Other have some solid things in here two. When you are theorycrafting you are spending a lot of time thinking about the fun of playing a different character than the one you are currently playing. So, your mental excitement becomes more focused on the new theory and all the great things you could be doing with them and less on the great things about your current character. I suffer from the same thing.

I know you said you didn't want to DM, but my solution to this problem was to work on one shot campaigns that I run when someone is sick or the DM isn't ready for a particular night. It's a great way that I can use these people and builds I've thought about as well as channel my creative energies into something else that doesn't disrupt my enjoyment of my characters that I'm actually playing. Additionally, the rest of the groups loves to be able to make a throw away character every once in a while that they can use for the night for some special build and idea, then toss at the end of the night.

Sigreid
2018-06-29, 11:35 AM
Alternately, see if your group is ok with you being the Star Trek red shirt that gets killed every episode.

Arcangel4774
2018-06-29, 12:04 PM
I similarly get caught it the Joy's of theory crafting. I found a happy middle ground by starting with my character and crafting different branches with motivation.

I used to start my theorycrafting at level 8 as the basis for a character as most classes get the cool thing I want from them either from 1-3 or 5-7.

Now I theory craft not a new character, but where my current character can go. Let's say my character started hexblade at level 1(because multiclassing with this is too easy). I often try to start characters with little backstory so they can grow more easily with the adventure. If the character is besought by lawful injustice, he may multiclass paladin of conquest in order to shape the world in the fair way he see fit by force. A more lighthearted adventure may see him being more playful and hopping over to bard college of blades. Maybe the game is more brooding and I'd stick with darker motif of warlock. Or maybe the dm has set my character to be some sort of destined hero, meaning I may switch sorcerer with its chosen one feel.

Ventruenox
2018-06-29, 12:06 PM
I've got over a dozen builds floating around in my head and in notes. I only have 3 characters waiting in the wings. Depending on the campaign, every now and then, one of the builds will materialize into characterization. I've tried to play builds; they aren't satisfying. Playing a character whose abilities are thematic and make sense with the backstory and campaign? Immensely satisfying, even if less than optimal.

I played one character for over a year and had been looking for a way to retire him, because the character was a selfish jerk and I wanted to be more cooperative with my friends. I wanted to try some character growth with him, but it just didn't fit his motivations. Ultimately, he ended up being petrified by a Beholder. That was perfect, because he was fun to play and I can revisit him in the future in a villainous role. They now love my pure support character and were frankly amazed that I could pull a near 180 at the table in my RP.

The dynamic nature of your character doesn't have to be important. You can bring a Robert E Howard archetype to a Tolkien table. You just need a bit of personality depth to make it work. Sometimes the narrative will bring you to make decisions for your character that would surprise even you. The cool stories you mentioned and peoples' attachment to their characters are most frequently driven by discovering who their characters are, not just what they can do.

A while back, you made a post asking how to make a character. You may want to revisit it. Or, as suggested, take the Red Shirt route. Ask yourself why you play. Identify your fun factor in this game and go from there.

strangebloke
2018-06-29, 12:22 PM
Character burnout is real, and there are a few ways I've found of dealing with it.

1. Get an art reference. Find a perfect 'look' for your character. There are hundreds of thousands of DND character drawings out there already, so odds are whatever you're doing already has a good fit. Once you have the artwork, it will inform how you play the character and how you behave.

2. Read the Lore. If you're in a custom setting, ask the DM questions. Know what things are in the setting and develop opinions that your character has about them. Maybe if you're in Faerun, you believe Neverwinter to be the finest city on earth. Maybe you reall really hate the wizards of Thay.

3. Play with traits/bonds/flaws. Also, consider adding in something about your character that he/she does not know about themselves. Maybe they have a best friend they grew up with who is actually a big name cultist. DMs love to work crap like that into a longer campaign.

4. Just spend some time theory crafting tricks that your current character can pull off. Maybe your barbarian focuses on wrestling the boss into submission. Maybe your cleric focuses on ritual-casting silence on a raid, in order to prevent any sound of the battle escaping, or to neutralize an enemy caster. Maybe your monk focuses on patient defense for a fight, as opposed to flurry, so that he's more of a tank and less of a skirmisher/DPR. There's tons of options available to every character, and it's never likely that you've explored them all.

Slybluedemon
2018-06-29, 12:43 PM
I hear often how people are so excited to play their Character Name, Race Class and how fun they are. And they have these cool stories to tell about their character, and they can't wait to see X or Y from their motivations come into play.

What happens when you're not feeling it? What happens when you don't have that?

Is it the character? Is it me? The game? What can I do?

I find myself at a point where I get excited about the concept of D&D. But not playing. And I don't want to DM.

So... What's going on?

I am in the same boat.

I made a character build first and then did the background. I am not feeling it at all, Also he is a ranged character and I just realized I don't like ranged characters at all.

My "backup" Character was created with a background first and has motivations and everything. My backup's class and feats make so much sense and he has short-term goals and long-term goals, he has motives and flaws and feels like an actual character. I want to play him so badly, I might just get my bad character killed next session.

He has a goal that needs to be accomplished and he might just do about anything for it.

nickl_2000
2018-06-29, 12:49 PM
I am in the same boat.

I made a character build first and then did the background. I am not feeling it at all, Also he is a ranged character and I just realized I don't like ranged characters at all.

My "backup" Character was created with a background first and has motivations and everything. My backup's class and feats make so much sense and he has short-term goals and long-term goals, he has motives and flaws and feels like an actual character. I want to play him so badly, I might just get my bad character killed next session.

He has a goal that needs to be accomplished and he might just do about anything for it.

Don't kill him off, talk to your DM. DMs want all the players to have fun, if you would have more fun with someone else they will likely let you switch it up and be someone else. Besides if you keep the first one alive it can be used as an NPC by the DM

Slybluedemon
2018-06-29, 01:08 PM
Don't kill him off, talk to your DM. DMs want all the players to have fun, if you would have more fun with someone else they will likely let you switch it up and be someone else. Besides if you keep the first one alive it can be used as an NPC by the DM

I agree with the talk to the DM but the problem is that I already changed my character a little bit ago (Two sessions) I don't want to keep changing characters, it will give the DM the feeling that I am indecisive

Also, My PC's death is the only logical way my "Backup" can segway into the story. It would make him the last remaining member of the family and drive him to take up the quest.

ZenBear
2018-06-29, 01:55 PM
You are not alone.

https://youtu.be/HT9HgcufRQk

Sigreid
2018-06-30, 01:40 PM
The best way I've found to stay interested in a character is to give him a nearly unattainable goal, and make him all about how to get there. Seems most people I see who lose interest in a character, it's because they don't know what to do with them anymore. The cure for that is to have an agenda.

Legendairy
2018-06-30, 01:54 PM
Everyone has covered the basics, and its awesome advice! A few things I would suggest, stay away from building and theory-crafting for a few sessions at least, work on the character as is and what he/she may want from the adventure.

Also, this is touchy and I do not mean it to come across in a bad way at all. It could also deal with your DM and the group at the "table", I find RP that influences character growth and that actually involves my characters. When I have to sit back and think what would the character do in these situations as opposed to what will my build do in any given situation, the game changes for the better. You can optimize a fun character they aren't mutually exclusive but remember its about ROLE playing and not ROLL playing, again this is all just from my experience.

The other players at the "table" and the RP also play into it, remember the background and character traits a just as important as where you place your stats for bringing the character to life, part of being "alive" is interacting with the party and NPC's more than "look what I can do cause I optimized my build". Instead how does Valis Hune the underdark scout react to this situation, does he try to talk with the beast or does you use his powers to teleport and whisper death in the ears of his foes before slaying them, that's on you a bit instead of "I teleport and *rolls dice* hit for 16 damage"

By no means am I questioning you as an RPer or anything, just telling you what I have experienced, I dunno you enough to make an informed opinion on anything other than sharing my experiences.

Unoriginal
2018-06-30, 02:26 PM
You already made a thread on this topic a few months ago. You were feeling the same burnout.

Back then, the thread concluded with you having an idea for a Tabaxi Swashbuckler you were very excited about.

Later, you told me that Tabaxi died early on.

Anything changed, since?

jaappleton
2018-06-30, 03:28 PM
I enjoyed Syn’drel, my Tabaxi Rogue. He didn’t get a chance to hit level 3 to buckle swashes, unfortunately.

He lasted two, maybe 3 sessions before he was killed by a swarm of rats. I... I rolled under a 7 for like 4 rounds...

Yes, a cat killed by rats.

I enjoyed RPing him. I played him basically as a Khajit straight out of Skyrim. He was a merchant, specifically a jeweler. Mostly because it allowed him to always focus on something shiny.

He’s.... technically alive now, due to a world-altering event in my game. Long story, but basically the heroes failed in the original world but found a way to enter and save a parallel dimension. But they’re stuck there in that parallel now. So he’s alive, in this world.

I’ve thought about going back to him. Although considering he’s the only Rogue I’ve ever played, and that I never got past level 2... Honestly, so know —— all about being a Rogue.

jaappleton
2018-07-07, 12:03 AM
A bit of an update:

After discussing it with my DM, I was able to bring my Tabaxi Rogue back. Now, I had only played him two sessions prior, when our characters were 2nd Level.

He’s an Arcane Trickster now, and today was the first time I got to play him again.

And it was amazing. He’s a jeweler by trade, even has a small shop in the town. He joined up with the party as a way to establish connections for future trade routes and business contacts.

I love having Expertise, as it makes me feel like I’m actually really good at something as opposed to just knowing a little about it.

Really enjoyed having motivations to do things. My DM is a little liberal with the rules and thoroughly encourages people to do cool things (but also embrace failure), and allowed me to try to backflip over an enemy in an attempt to catch him off guard and gain Advantage. I got it :D

After cutting him down, I was able to use my bonus action to take the other guards horn away, so he couldn’t signal for help.

It felt great! I was always fairly skeptical on Rogues due to their lack of a second attack, but I’m really enjoying myself!

Slybluedemon
2018-07-10, 10:53 AM
A bit of an update:

After discussing it with my DM, I was able to bring my Tabaxi Rogue back. Now, I had only played him two sessions prior, when our characters were 2nd Level.

He’s an Arcane Trickster now, and today was the first time I got to play him again.

And it was amazing. He’s a jeweler by trade, even has a small shop in the town. He joined up with the party as a way to establish connections for future trade routes and business contacts.

I love having Expertise, as it makes me feel like I’m actually really good at something as opposed to just knowing a little about it.

Really enjoyed having motivations to do things. My DM is a little liberal with the rules and thoroughly encourages people to do cool things (but also embrace failure), and allowed me to try to backflip over an enemy in an attempt to catch him off guard and gain Advantage. I got it :D

After cutting him down, I was able to use my bonus action to take the other guards horn away, so he couldn’t signal for help.

It felt great! I was always fairly skeptical on Rogues due to their lack of a second attack, but I’m really enjoying myself!

Glad it worked out!

It's nice when you have PC that has a goal that is not lined up with the party at all but it still gives you a reason to adventure together.

Wanting to "establish connections for future trade routes and business contacts" gives the DM so much freedom to create NPC's and Rivals so he probably is just as excited as you.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-10, 11:09 AM
I've found in my case it's me.

Unless I make my character similar enough to my own personality I will get bored or burned out pretty quickly.

So far I don't think my friends are tired of me always showing up with a Barbarian, Fighter, or Melee Ranger that's dumped Charisma.

But maybe they just haven't brought it up.

Slybluedemon
2018-07-10, 11:50 AM

Unless I make my character similar enough to my own personality I will get bored or burned out pretty quickly.

So far I don't think my friends are tired of me always showing up with a Barbarian, Fighter, or Melee Ranger that's dumped Charisma.

I don't like the idea of getting mad because someone plays a class alot.

People should be able to play what they like and if they like running a Champion Fighter every campaign, more power to them

nickl_2000
2018-07-10, 12:31 PM

Is anyone else not at all shocked that GlenSmash likes playing barbs?

Frankly, as long as I'm not always stuck as the only healer through multiple characters/campaigns, I don't care what others bring. As a fellow player, I want others to have fun too.

Laserlight
2018-07-10, 12:39 PM
On playing the same thing over and over: we had one guy who always played characters who were shy, indecisive female spellcasters who used ranged spells. After watching that pattern for several years, when I started a campaign, I encouraged him to try something different. If you play a rogue or barbarian for a little bit, you can always change characters later, and you just might find that you like it, right?
(So he changed it up with his next character, going with a shy, only-sometimes-indecisive female spellcaster with a gun. C'est la vie).

To avoid burnout, I
a) don't build another character while I'm playing my active one;
b) have relationships between characters beyond "you're all adventurers who met at a tavern"--perhaps the party fighter was assigned to you by your noble mother and you kinda resent his "watchdog / chaperone" function although you do appreciate his "bodyguard" function;
c) give the character goals, preferably that line up with the adventure--in our STK campaign, the barbarian was there "to win glory by defeating the biggest foes he could find"

jaappleton
2018-07-10, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Laserlight;23211143]b) have relationships between characters beyond "you're all adventurers who met at a tavern"--perhaps the party fighter was assigned to you by your noble mother and you kinda resent his "watchdog / chaperone" function although you do appreciate his "bodyguard" function;

In one game, there was a Human Monk who had an Int of 6.

I, the Warforged Bard, was his twin brother.

.....that's what Mom told us, and we never questioned it.

Of course, my Bard knew. But his massive Intimidation and Deception scores led some people to believe us. The Monk didn't piece it together.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-10, 02:26 PM
I don't like the idea of getting mad because someone plays a class alot.

People should be able to play what they like and if they like running a Champion Fighter every campaign, more power to them

That was a bit facetious. We have another player that will be a rogue most of the time, and another that is a paladin most of the time, one a wizard etc etc. We are all there for wish fulfillment to some degree or another.

Is anyone else not at all shocked that GlenSmash likes playing barbs?

And I thought that was a well kept secret :smallcool:

Frankly, as long as I'm not always stuck as the only healer through multiple characters/campaigns, I don't care what others bring. As a fellow player, I want others to have fun too.

When I DM and my players ask what the party needs, I'll always respond with "Whatever you want to play". I'd rather have a party with no healer, than one with a healer whose player is not invested in their story.

DarkKnightJin
2018-07-10, 06:47 PM
Usually, the character that you've lost interest in will wind up finding a way to leave the party. Whether that's because they died, or because they go their separate ways is up to you.

I do what I saw someone else did and found they liked the new character way better: I come up with a character idea, and THEN I work out how I can make that work mechanically.
And sometimes, it doesn't really work as one hopes.
Other times, you get something like my Dragonborn Death Cleric, that started as a silly Charmander inspired Dragonborn, and I added the Death Cleric because the party needed someone that could heal.

He's a lot of fun to play, even if he's the party dad/babysitter most of the time..