View Full Version : Hexbow progression

imtodd
2018-06-29, 01:45 PM
Level 5 Half-Elf Warlock, Hexblade, Pact of the Blade
Thirsting Blade
Improved Pact Weapon
Eldritch Smite
Wielding a longbow

Where to go from here? I had though to dip into Fighter or Ranger for Archery Fighting Style, maybe even up to level 4 to get the ASI.

Any suggestions on future progression?

Stats are 10 14 17 13 16 20

Elven Accuracy feat take at Warlock 4.

Would prefer not to add any additional caster classes.

ciarannihill
2018-06-29, 02:56 PM
Getting the Archery fighting style and Sharpshooter feat are probably the biggest individual damage increases for you going forward, then your DPR increases most with multiple attacks and when you're granted advantage so I'd recommend going Fighter (Samurai), it gives you 3 full turns of "super" advantage, including when you Action Surge. Getting Extra Attack is also huge. I'd rush Fighter 5 ASAP to get Action Surge, Extra Attack, Sharpshooter and Fighting Spirit.

Just my 2 copper.

Eldritch Knight is also powerful due to War Magic at level 7 letting you use Eldritch Blast and follow up with your bow, but you said you didn't want anymore casters, so yeah...

EDIT: Extra stuff, given the 17 in Con I would double recommend getting Resilient [Con] at some point, to even that out but also get you that extra save proficiency for concentration. Since you have Blade PAct you can also fight reasonably affectively in melee range with a Greatsword, so GWM isn't too farfetched for the same reason Sharpshooter is excellent.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-29, 04:31 PM
pick up 1-4 levels of fighter and finish as warlock. No reason to split your build any further

n00b
2018-06-29, 08:34 PM
Getting the Archery fighting style and Sharpshooter feat are probably the biggest individual damage increases for you going forward, then your DPR increases most with multiple attacks and when you're granted advantage so I'd recommend going Fighter (Samurai), it gives you 3 full turns of "super" advantage, including when you Action Surge. Getting Extra Attack is also huge. I'd rush Fighter 5 ASAP to get Action Surge, Extra Attack, Sharpshooter and Fighting Spirit.

Just my 2 copper.

Eldritch Knight is also powerful due to War Magic at level 7 letting you use Eldritch Blast and follow up with your bow, but you said you didn't want anymore casters, so yeah...

EDIT: Extra stuff, given the 17 in Con I would double recommend getting Resilient [Con] at some point, to even that out but also get you that extra save proficiency for concentration. Since you have Blade PAct you can also fight reasonably affectively in melee range with a Greatsword, so GWM isn't too farfetched for the same reason Sharpshooter is excellent.

I get extra attack through thirsting blade. I figured with that I would likely cut off either a Fighter or Ranger class at 4 max. Although I could see an argument for anything from 1-4.

I hadn't thought about GWM, but that's a good idea. Just in case it gets close! :)

ciarannihill
2018-06-29, 08:49 PM
I get extra attack through thirsting blade. I figured with that I would likely cut off either a Fighter or Ranger class at 4 max. Although I could see an argument for anything from 1-4.

I hadn't thought about GWM, but that's a good idea. Just in case it gets close! :)

I mean getting Extra Attack from another source, like Fighter, opens up that Invocation slot for something else at that point (like Agonizing Blast), plus fighter 6 gives you another ASI at a rapid clip if you're looking somewhat Feat hungry. But, either way works fine, play whatever seems fun first and foremost, but if you're going to supplement your build with a Martial character I think Fighter is for sure the way to go for Fighting Spirit's combination with Elvish Accuracy and Action Surge.

Starting a fight with Hexblade's Curse into Eldritch Blast, then on turn two using Fighting Spirit and Action surge alongside Sharshooter shots with a +7 to hit and super advantage for 4 shots that deal a total of 4d8+20(Cha) + 16(Prf) + 40(SS) + 4(IPW) damage along with the option to Eldritch Smite on any potential crit for a boatload of extra damage. You'd start melting things at that rate.

n00b
2018-06-29, 08:59 PM
I mean getting Extra Attack from another source, like Fighter, opens up that Invocation slot for something else at that point (like Agonizing Blast), plus fighter 6 gives you another ASI at a rapid clip if you're looking somewhat Feat hungry. But, either way works fine, play whatever seems fun first and foremost, but if you're going to supplement your build with a Martial character I think Fighter is for sure the way to go for Fighting Spirit's combination with Elvish Accuracy and Action Surge.

Starting a fight with Hexblade's Curse into Eldritch Blast, then on turn two using Fighting Spirit and Action surge alongside Sharshooter shots with a +7 to hit and super advantage for 4 shots that deal a total of 4d8+20(Cha) + 16(Prf) + 40(SS) + 4(IPW) damage along with the option to Eldritch Smite on any potential crit for a boatload of extra damage. You'd start melting things at that rate.

You make some good points! I hadn't really added up the damage but it is pretty nice. Thanks!

CTurbo
2018-06-30, 05:44 AM
I'd add Fighter 2 to 4 AND Ranger Gloom Stalker 3 or 4 depending on how bad you want the extra ASI/feats. All this really needs is Fighter 2/Gloom Stalker 3

You get both the Archery and the Close Quarters Shooter fighting styles. Fighter gives you Second Wind, Action Surge, and a subclass if you want. Arcane Archer, BM, or Samurai would all be great. Gloom Stalker gets you Advantage on Initiative, Favored Enemy, Hunter's Mark, and extra +10 foot movement on your first turn as well as an extra free attack and 1d8 damage. Oh yeah and bonus distance darkvision.

Your first turn with an action surge would be 6 full attacks with Action Surge which if it's against your "Mark" each attack would deal an extra 1d6 damage and then you have that extra 1d8 too.

Spiritchaser
2018-06-30, 06:14 AM
If you’re ever actually going to hit high level, consider that you may want to limit how many mc levels you take. Foresight really makes this build shine.

I would probably make room for archery though.

Archery+sharpshooter+Elven accuracy+foresight means you won’t be wasting time or slots on shadow of Moil and that will let you attack a bit more and Smite a LOT.

Vogie
2018-07-06, 09:54 AM
If you are only going 4 levels in another class, why not pick ranger?

You still get the archery fighting style, and gives you massive boosts

Hunter's Mark gives you an alternative to Hex that doesn't cost spell slots
Gloom stalker gives invisibility to enemy darkvision, and an additional attack in the first turn plus an additional 1d8 on that extra turn
Primeval Guardian, or Monster Slayer gives increased single-target damage 1d6/turn
Colossus Slayer Hunter gives 1d8/turn after the first turn
Horde Breaker Hunter gives additional attacks towards enemies clumped together
Horizon Walker gives 1d8 force damage to marked targets within 30 feet