PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Assorted Feats

rferries
2018-06-29, 02:24 PM
Apprentice
You have attracted a devoted student or squire.

Prerequisites
Charisma 12, character level 6th.

Benefits
You gain a cohort. This functions as described under the Leadership feat, save as follows:

The cohort may only take levels in classes you posses, and may not have more levels of any one class than you do. Furthermore, the cohort's character level may not exceed one-half your own.

At 12th level, you gain additional cohorts equal to your Charisma modifier.

Special
A fighter may select Apprentice as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A wizard may select Apprentice as one of her wizard bonus feats.

Blasting Breath
Your breath weapon is extraordinarily forceful.

Prerequisites
Breath weapon.

Benefits
Any creature or object that fails a Reflex save against your breath weapon is hurled backwards to the outermost range of the breath weapon's area. Upon landing, such a creature takes 1d6 points of damage for every 10 feet it travelled in this way.

If your breath weapon deals energy damage (of any type), it ignores the hardness of inanimate objects.

Dragon Slayer
You have slain the most terrible of foes, and consumed its heart or bathed in its blood to absorb its power.

Prerequisites
Must have slain a creature of the dragon type.

Benefits
You gain damage reduction/magic equal to your character level.

You gain fire resistance equal to your character level.

You gain dragons as a favoured enemy as though you were a ranger (or your existing favoured enemy bonus against dragons increases by +2).

Special
A fighter may select Dragon Slayer as one of his fighter bonus feats.

If the dragon you slew for this feat's prerequisites had a breath weapon that dealt energy damage, the fire resistance granted by this feat is instead resistance to the energy type of that breath weapon.

Evil Eye
You may cast a baleful gaze indeed.

Prerequisites
Charisma 14, character level 7th.

Benefits
Three times per day as a standard action, you may mutter curses and glare at a creature within 30 feet to subject it to bestow curse (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier). Treat this as a necromantic [Curse] [Language-Dependent] gaze attack. This is a supernatural ability.

You may lift a curse you have inflicted with this feat as a free action, regardless of the distance between you and a victim (even if you are on different planes).

Special
A wizard may select Evil Eye as one of her wizard bonus feats.

If you die or are destroyed (if you are a construct or undead), all curses you have inflicted with this feat are broken.

Living Undead
You have returned from being an undead creature.

Prerequisites
Must have been transformed into an undead creature, then destroyed and subsequently raised or resurrected.

Benefits
You gain a constant, inherent death ward effect.

You cannot be transformed into an undead creature.

You do not lose levels or Constitution if you die and are raised or resurrected again.

You gain a +6 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks made against undead creatures.

You gain undead empathy. Treat this as a druid's wild empathy, save that you may instead use it to influence undead creatures (including mindless undead). You gain a +6 bonus on this check.

Luck Of The Fey
You have been blessed by the Fair Folk.

Prerequisites
Must have had a friendly encounter with a fey creature.

Benefits
You gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, saves, your Armour Class, and skill checks.

Once per day, whenever you roll a natural 1 on the d20 you may treat it as a natural 20 instead.

Persist Minor Magic
You are adept at granting blessings.

Prerequisites
Caster level 1st.

Benefits
Whenever you cast a personal or harmless non-instantaneous spell of 2nd level or lower, its duration is increased to 24 hours.

You may cast personal spells as touch spells.

Special
A wizard may select Persist Minor Magic as one of her wizard bonus feats.

Polyattack
You make multiple strikes in combat with ease.

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus +6.

Benefits
The attack penalty on your iterative attacks is reduced by 5.

Special
A fighter may select Polyattack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

You may select Polyattack up to three times. Its effects stack.

Powerful Build
You are a particularly large member of your race.

Prerequisites
Str 16 or half-orc.

Benefits
You are treated as being your own size or one size category larger, whichever would be most beneficial to you for a given purpose.

Special
A fighter may select Powerful Build as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Touched By Madness
You have seen things no mortal should see.

Prerequisites
Must have visited the Far Realms, Limbo, or a [Chaos]- and [Evil]-dominant plane (or encountered a creature native to such a plane).

Benefits
You are immune to confusion and insanity effects, as well as ability damage or drain to any of your mental ability scores.

If you are a cleric, you gain the Madness domain as an additional domain.

You gain a +6 bonus on Sense Motive checks, Charisma checks, and Charisma-based skill checks made against aberrations and [Chaos] outsiders.

You gain aberration empathy. Treat this as a druid's wild empathy, save that you may instead use it to influence aberrations (including mindless aberrations). You gain a +6 bonus on this check.

Wealth
You have investments, an inheritance, or similar means of self-generating wealth.

Prerequisites
Profession (any) 4 ranks.

Benefits
You gain a +10 bonus on Perform and Profession checks made to generate income.

You gain 1d6 gp per level per day of disposable income. You may spend this wealth on the finest food, drink, clothing, lodging, transport, and other services (including bribes). You may spend this wealth on magic items with decorative, subtle, or impractical functions, but not on those that would be useful in combat. Any unused wealth at the end of each day is returned to your financiers, family, investors, etc.

If you select this feat at first level, multiply your starting gold by ten.

noob
2018-06-29, 02:49 PM
Persist Minor Magic is significantly too much good as long as you are below level 3 and it stays very useful at higher levels.
For example invisibility is a day lasting boost.(so you can basically travel with very reduced risk for random encounters)
Or yet you can start casting mage armor on your squishy allies and it lasts all day. (or just use disguise self and be awesome)

I can hardly understand a dragonfire adept not taking Blasting Breath.
I mean you get an effect that allows to push your opponents meters away and boost damage with no save or kilometers away and kill them with no save(when combined with widened breath sheanighans it is kilometers and it kills by dealing tons of dice)

Living Undead is a feat I would take: not only I get death ward at the cost of a feat instead of having very expensive disjunctable items but I can also save money on all the resurrections as long as my body was not atomized and even if it was then if the cleric still have a part then the cleric can still use Resurrection which is less expensive than true Resurrection.
The empathy with undead is an unneeded bonus tossed on top of that.

Goaty14
2018-06-29, 06:33 PM
Persist Minor Magic is significantly too much good as long as you are below level 3 and it stays very useful at higher levels.
For example invisibility is a day lasting boost.(so you can basically travel with very reduced risk for random encounters)
Or yet you can start casting mage armor on your squishy allies and it lasts all day. (or just use disguise self and be awesome)

Or better yet, persistent Wraithstrike.

EDIT:

Apprentice: Leadership on steroids, except it innately punishes lower classes than higher ones. "So now I get two wizards in my cohort? Yes!" "ANOTHER fighter!? You gotta be kidding me!"

Blasting Breath: Broken, but no more broken than any other metabreath feat that is already printed.

Living Undead: Like necropolitan, except without all of the annoying downsides such as CON-to-hp. Normally I'd rate it broken by WotC standards, but it looks pretty fine in comparison to what rferries normally writes, so I'll give it a pass. Everything else is pretty much fluff, unless the campaign just-so-happens to be in a necropolis.

Persist Minor Magic: Ostensibly borked. I'd be convinced to give it a pass if the level limit was lowered (to 0th and 1st level spells only) or there was a minimum caster level prerequisite.

Polyattack: Meh. A lot of house rules sets negate this anyways, and totemism do the about same with multiattack.

Powerful Build: Already existed as the Jotunbrud regional feat, so not *really* homebrew, unless your DM is really stingy on setting material.

Touched by Madness: Most of that can be replicated by binding Dalver-Nar, except for the extra domain, which could be very powerful or just meh, because I haven't seen the madness domain yet.

Wealth: For if your bard *really* wants to start attracting outsiders with his music. Pretty niche situation, except if your game is roleplay-heavy and you get the ability to start bribing ALL the things. Still not that powerful.

nonsi
2018-06-30, 01:46 AM

I like Living Undead a lot.
Lose the +6s to Undead Empathy. You just got something similar to what druids get at 1st level.
Lower the skill modifiers to +2. No reason to make things trivially easy.

nonsi
2018-06-30, 01:50 AM
Apprentice: Leadership on steroids, except it innately punishes lower classes than higher ones. "So now I get two wizards in my cohort? Yes!" "ANOTHER fighter!? You gotta be kidding me!"

Just a note: This is the homebrew department.
I believe that we have consensus here that the official Wizard and the official Fighter don't belong in the same game. Either the former goes down or the latter goes up (or both).

rferries
2018-06-30, 09:51 AM
I'll say upfront that I don't balance around non-core stuff, so I can't comment on dragonfire adepts or wraithstrike etc. I wouldn't allow my stuff in combination with such shenanigans hehe.

I can hardly understand a dragonfire adept not taking Blasting Breath.
I mean you get an effect that allows to push your opponents meters away and boost damage with no save or kilometers away and kill them with no save(when combined with widened breath sheanighans it is kilometers and it kills by dealing tons of dice)

Persist Minor Magic is definitely powerful, but it facilitates a caster who doesn't overshadow his allies (better to cast disguise self on the Bluffing rogue ally and help in multiple social situations over a day, rather than win the social challenge outright with charm person). Invisibility is broken as soon as you attack, and in any event you can hide yourself from random encounters but you still need sufficient slots to hide your allies (otherwise rope trick is better). Mage armour is only +4 AC, anyone who needs AC for melee is probably already wearing full plate etc. Resist energy is probably the most "buffed" application of the effect (and alter self, but that spell is already broken).

Blasting Breath - yeah I intended this more for cinematic dragon fights, not so much for PC use. Could add the dragon type to the prereqs but there's ways around that too. Probably simplest to ban it from PC use.

Living Undead is a feat I would take: not only I get death ward at the cost of a feat instead of having very expensive disjunctable items but I can also save money on all the resurrections as long as my body was not atomized and even if it was then if the cleric still have a part then the cleric can still use Resurrection which is less expensive than true Resurrection.
The empathy with undead is an unneeded bonus tossed on top of that.

.I like Living Undead a lot.
Lose the +6s to Undead Empathy. You just got something similar to what druids get at 1st level.
Lower the skill modifiers to +2. No reason to make things trivially easy.

Living Undead is something you can only get with the DM's cooperation (note the very convoluted prerequisite hehe) so it's kind of inherently balanced. Suitable for horror campaigns with a lot of undead. The bonus is big, I just copied it for symmetry with nymphs/unicorns and their +6 racial bonus.

Just a note: This is the homebrew department.
I believe that we have consensus here that the official Wizard and the official Fighter don't belong in the same game. Either the former goes down or the latter goes up (or both).

Hear, hear!

Or better yet, persistent Wraithstrike.

EDIT:

Blasting Breath: Broken, but no more broken than any other metabreath feat that is already printed.

Living Undead: Like necropolitan, except without all of the annoying downsides such as CON-to-hp. Normally I'd rate it broken by WotC standards, but it looks pretty fine in comparison to what rferries normally writes, so I'll give it a pass. Everything else is pretty much fluff, unless the campaign just-so-happens to be in a necropolis.

Persist Minor Magic: Ostensibly borked. I'd be convinced to give it a pass if the level limit was lowered (to 0th and 1st level spells only) or there was a minimum caster level prerequisite.

Polyattack: Meh. A lot of house rules sets negate this anyways, and totemism do the about same with multiattack.

Powerful Build: Already existed as the Jotunbrud regional feat, so not *really* homebrew, unless your DM is really stingy on setting material.

Touched by Madness: Most of that can be replicated by binding Dalver-Nar, except for the extra domain, which could be very powerful or just meh, because I haven't seen the madness domain yet.

Wealth: For if your bard *really* wants to start attracting outsiders with his music. Pretty niche situation, except if your game is roleplay-heavy and you get the ability to start bribing ALL the things. Still not that powerful.

Apprentice- I think you missed the "Furthermore, the cohort's character level may not exceed one-half your own".

Living Undead - to reiterate, it's powerful but very DM-controlled.

Persist Minor Magic - that's certainly an option too. I wanted to include bull's strength (and the other ability-enhancing spells), invisibility, and resist energy in the effects but 1st level spells would be ok too.

Polyattack - fair enough, this just makes it explicit. Gets crazy with two-weapon fighting but you need a HUGE feat investment for the whole chain.

Powerful Build - I assumed it existed in some form, but the Jotunbrud feat is cool. My version is better and not region-specific, but does have stringent prerequisites.

Touched By Madness - cool, but my feat applies to other classes (assuming the DM helps you meet the prereqs).

Wealth - yeah, very much roleplay-based. There was an Aristocrat-type class somebody posted on here ages ago that had a similar ability (disposable income per day) but I can't find it.

Cosi
2018-06-30, 11:00 AM
Apprentice

This feat interacts poorly with PrCs. Your apprentices will end up with too few levels of you class to take any levels of the PrCs you have, but unable to gain any additional levels in your base classes. I don't think that's good. Also, this has the potential to be quite powerful. A Wizard who invests even a little bit in CHA can end up with a bunch of minions throwing around 4th level spells and providing free utility. It's essentially 4+ free simulacra which come online before the spell does. I think "you get a lot of free power, but you have to take a bunch of dead levels of your base class" is a bad idea for a feat.

You gain dragons as a favoured enemy as though you were a ranger (or your existing favoured enemy bonus against dragons increases by +2).

What is the bonus supposed to be?

If the dragon you slew for this feat's prerequisites had a breath weapon that dealt energy damage, the fire resistance granted by this feat is instead resistance to the energy type of that breath weapon.

Just put this in the feat description. "You gain resistance to the energy type of the dragon you slew's breath weapon, or fire if its breath weapon did not deal energy damage."

Evil Eye

I'm pretty sure "at-will bestow curse" is way the hell above the curve for a 7th level character.

You cannot be transformed into an undead creature.

I don't think this works. I'm pretty sure at the point you are eligible for becoming undead, you no longer benefit from feats.

You gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, saves, your Armour Class, and skill checks.

Don't give +1 bonuses.

Persist Minor Magic

This is insane. Like, completely insane. wraithstrike and swift fly all day? Yes please!

Polyattack

This should just be the default rule (like the "no penalty for raising" bonus from the ex-undead feat).

rferries
2018-07-01, 11:03 AM
This feat interacts poorly with PrCs. Your apprentices will end up with too few levels of you class to take any levels of the PrCs you have, but unable to gain any additional levels in your base classes. I don't think that's good. Also, this has the potential to be quite powerful. A Wizard who invests even a little bit in CHA can end up with a bunch of minions throwing around 4th level spells and providing free utility. It's essentially 4+ free simulacra which come online before the spell does. I think "you get a lot of free power, but you have to take a bunch of dead levels of your base class" is a bad idea for a feat.

I can't quite understand the PrC complaint - your apprentice can follow your build precisely, just at one-half the rate.

Similarly, you can't get 7th-level apprentices (for 4th-level spells) until you are 14th-level yourself, whereas simulacrum is available at 13th level (and could be used to create a 13th-level copy of any character or creature, not just a half-level copy of yourself).

What is the bonus supposed to be?

A ranger's favoured enemy bonus ("The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.")

Just put this in the feat description. "You gain resistance to the energy type of the dragon you slew's breath weapon, or fire if its breath weapon did not deal energy damage."

Yeah, that works too. I figured the "Special" heading was the place to put the clause though, since it modifies the feat.

I'm pretty sure "at-will bestow curse" is way the hell above the curve for a 7th level character.

I had considered making it 3 times per day instead, but it gets pretty useless at higher levels (doesn't harm constructs or undead, and most creatures have good Fortitude saves), plus it has the language-dependent descriptor. Plus my design philosophy is that feats should be powerful - they're a permanent investment and you get fewer of them than you do spell levels. Note that an at-will item of bestow curse would only cost 28,000 gp. Open to negotiation though.

I don't think this works. I'm pretty sure at the point you are eligible for becoming undead, you no longer benefit from feats.

In rulings, specific trumps general; the feat remains in effect even if you're dead.

Don't give +1 bonuses.

It mimics a stone of good luck.

This is insane. Like, completely insane. wraithstrike and swift fly all day? Yes please!

Copying from above: I'll say upfront that I don't balance around non-core stuff, so I can't comment on dragonfire adepts or wraithstrike etc. I wouldn't allow my stuff in combination with such shenanigans hehe.

This should just be the default rule (like the "no penalty for raising" bonus from the ex-undead feat).

I quite agree! However if your DM doesn't, you can argue that this feat is equivalent to Multiattack.

The Magister
2018-07-05, 06:10 PM
Man, where's the upvote on this thing? Seriously, though, these are great, but they definitely need a wee bit of fine-tuning....

rferries
2018-07-06, 05:08 AM
Man, where's the upvote on this thing? Seriously, though, these are great, but they definitely need a wee bit of fine-tuning....

Ha you're too kind! Yeah they're a bit "swingy"... a lot of them have prerequisites you can only meet by DM fiat, but once you do they're very powerful.

Caelestion
2018-07-07, 06:57 PM
"Only" 28,000? That's the entire expected WBL of an 8th-level character and still 40% (the bare minimum to be considered affordable) of an 11th-level character.

rferries
2018-07-08, 07:16 AM
"Only" 28,000? That's the entire expected WBL of an 8th-level character and still 40% (the bare minimum to be considered affordable) of an 11th-level character.

Feat pricing is tricky - a feat as minor as Alertness (with no prereqs) is apparently worth 10,000 gp (see ioun stones), and both Alertness and Evil Eye become less valuable as your character level increases. I've set the feat to 3 uses per day though.

Corenthius
2019-01-26, 01:10 PM
Polyattack seems too powerful in my opinion. Maybe go with something like this

Benefit: Increase all iterative attack bonuses by +2. (maybe +3 if you want a little more power)

or

Polyattack
Prerequisite: BAB +11
Benefit: Increase your second iterative attack bonus by +5. Example BAB is 11/6/6

Improved Polyattack
Prerequisite: BAB +16
Benefit: Increase your third iterative attack bonus by +10. Example BAB is 16/11/11/11

rferries
2019-01-26, 10:53 PM
Polyattack seems too powerful in my opinion. Maybe go with something like this

Benefit: Increase all iterative attack bonuses by +2. (maybe +3 if you want a little more power)

or

Polyattack
Prerequisite: BAB +11
Benefit: Increase your second iterative attack bonus by +5. Example BAB is 11/6/6

Improved Polyattack
Prerequisite: BAB +16
Benefit: Increase your third iterative attack bonus by +10. Example BAB is 16/11/11/11

It is technically much more powerful than existing martial feats, yes. However martials should arguably get all their iteratives at their full base attack bonus for free - depends on how the campaign is balanced.