PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dwarven Resilience question

holywhippet
2018-06-29, 03:37 PM
This ability gives a dwarf advantage on saving throws against poison. I'm a bit unclear on what that includes though. Does it just mean if you are saving vs. poison like having been bitten by a spider you get advantage on that saving throw? What about spells like prismatic spray when the damage type rolled is poison?

zminseo
2018-06-29, 03:52 PM
The ability gives saving throws against The poisoned effect. You can't have advantage against damage, and if the dwarf did, the book would say "Resistance against poison damage."

zminseo
2018-06-29, 04:07 PM
The ability gives saving throws against The poisoned effect. You can't have advantage against damage, and if the dwarf did, the book would say "Resistance against poison damage."

holywhippet
2018-06-29, 04:12 PM
The book does say dwarves get resistance against poison damage but that isn't the point. Not every poison attack applies to the poisoned effect. Giant spiders for example do poison damage when they bite you and that causes a saving throw vs. poison but doesn't apply the poisoned effect.

Fredaintdead
2018-06-29, 04:16 PM
The book does say dwarves get resistance against poison damage but that isn't the point. Not every poison attack applies to the poisoned effect. Giant spiders for example do poison damage when they bite you and that causes a saving throw vs. poison but doesn't apply the poisoned effect.

I think the advantage applies only if the source is a poison. So, poisoned drow blades or spider bites are a yes, you get advantage. Prismatic Spray would be a no, because the source isn't a poison, but you'd still get resistance to the poison damage. Some DMs might say that the ability applies to saves vs getting drunk, but otherwise, the first part asks a question of "Is the thing affecting me a poison?"

Finney
2018-06-29, 04:16 PM
This ability gives a dwarf advantage on saving throws against poison. I'm a bit unclear on what that includes though. Does it just mean if you are saving vs. poison like having been bitten by a spider you get advantage on that saving throw? What about spells like prismatic spray when the damage type rolled is poison?

I am not sure if this exact question has been answered by Crawford in Sage Advice, but I do recall a similar question that you could use as a precedent for Dwarven Resilience.

Does a monk’s Purity of Body feature grant immunity to poison damage, the poisoned condition, or both?

That feature grants immunity to both. As a result, a monk with Purity of Body can, for example, inhale a green dragon’s poison breath unharmed.

If Purity of Body makes the monk immune to the poisoned condition and poison damage, I would rule that Dwarven Resilience grants advantage on saving throws against any effect that deals poison damage or inflicts the poisoned condition.

NaughtyTiger
2018-06-30, 09:31 AM
Dwarven Resilience says "saving throws against poison" not the poisoned condition. It is reasonable (and not overpowered) that it means advantage against an effect that causes poisoned condition or poison damage.

My gut says that advantage doesn't apply to prismatic spray, because dex save is to dodge the spell, the poison damage is after being hit by the spell.

I failed the save, what color hits me?
um, 4. so poison...
nope, i get advantage, and i pass....

doesn't feel right.
so it wouldn't apply to dragon's breath ether.

that said, it still isn't overpowered to allow it.

Aett_Thorn
2018-06-30, 10:23 AM
Dwarven Resilience says "saving throws against poison" not the poisoned condition. It is reasonable (and not overpowered) that it means advantage against an effect that causes poisoned condition or poison damage.

My gut says that advantage doesn't apply to prismatic spray, because dex save is to dodge the spell, the poison damage is after being hit by the spell.

I failed the save, what color hits me?
um, 4. so poison...
nope, i get advantage, and i pass....

doesn't feel right.
so it wouldn't apply to dragon's breath ether.

that said, it still isn't overpowered to allow it.

I'm inclined to agree with you on Prismatic Spray. You're making a Dex save to avoid A ray, not making it against a specific ray. So the advantage on the save wouldn't work. However, a Green' Dragon's breath is a Con save for half, not Dex, so I'd allow Dwarven Resilience to work on it.

Vorpalchicken
2018-06-30, 10:37 AM
Don't overthink it. If it's poison, the dwarf gets advantage on the save. And of course also resistance to the poison damage.

holywhippet
2018-07-17, 06:16 PM
I thought about it some more. It does make sense to apply it in all cases even for things like breath weapons. If you assume that the saving throw is an attempt to avoid getting hit or hit directly then you are trying to get to a safe location. But a safe location for the dwarf doesn't need to be quite as far away as for others since they can handle more poison than others.

ImproperJustice
2018-07-17, 09:22 PM
Don't overthink it. If it's poison, the dwarf gets advantage on the save. And of course also resistance to the poison damage.

Here, here!!
This times 100000!

Erys
2018-07-17, 09:44 PM

I believe this is the correct answer most of the time. Any save that is a poison save regardless of source should be at advantage.

However, in fringe cases like Prismatic Spray- where you are dodging a spell which determines its type of damage after the save- only the dwarfs resistance to poison will come into play.