PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Lvls? (Oblivion)

kirbsys
2007-09-09, 12:08 PM
Can you go to jail repeatedly for minor offenses to lower your major skills enough that you could level past fifty? For example, Im working on a character right now that'll have 100 in everything but luck at the end, could I take him to jail a bunch of times so that I can level him again to max out luck eventually?

Hermit
2007-09-09, 12:10 PM
Can you go to jail repeatedly for minor offenses to lower your major skills enough that you could level past fifty? For example, Im working on a character right now that'll have 100 in everything but luck at the end, could I take him to jail a bunch of times so that I can level him again to max out luck eventually?

Yeah, if you're going for 100 in all skills and stats I think you have to repeatedly go to jail to continue levelling

kirbsys
2007-09-09, 12:14 PM
Well you can get 100 in all stats and skills without going to jail, you just have to exclude luck. You can only get that up to 83 (so far as I know). Basically you have to level 30 skills for every level you take til all your attributes are at 100, then start leveling just your major skills and putting points in luck.

Sir Enigma
2007-09-13, 10:24 AM
Is that still true if you've taken a sign that gives you bonus attribute points (EG the Thief gives +10 agility, speed and luck)? If it's just for the base stats, then can you max everything by taking the Thief and a favored attribute of luck? or is this already factored into the max stats?

Indon
2007-09-13, 01:28 PM
Well you can get 100 in all stats and skills without going to jail, you just have to exclude luck. You can only get that up to 83 (so far as I know). Basically you have to level 30 skills for every level you take til all your attributes are at 100, then start leveling just your major skills and putting points in luck.

What I did was raise enough skills to get +5 in two stats, and always put a point in Luck.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-13, 03:59 PM
There's a real cheap way to get all skills up to 100...

In Fort Moonmoth, there's a person who sells Drain <skill> for not too much. Then head back to Balmora to the spell maker, and make a spell Drain <skill you're working on> 50-75. Cast your spell, your skill drops to just about 0 (at most, 25 for a 75 reduction). This means it costs exactly one gold to get a skillup. Repeat. Congratulations, 100 skill for next to nothing at ANY trainer which trains that skill.

Judicious use of doing this with the right skills can easily lead to maxing out all stats swiftly, because you have the ultimate control over which skills get skillups, thus you can ensure that two stats get a X5 mod, and luck goes up every level.

It's almost, but not quite, as cheezy as the Alchemy trick to save yourself millions in item creation costs. Brew a BUNCH of IQ potions (vendor sold ingredients), and take them all. They all stack. Now that your IQ is somewhere around 400, enchant. Use Azura's Star and the spell Summon Golden Saint for most efficent method of enchanting (Azura's Star is a reusable Grand Soul Gem, Golden Saint has the highest enchant point value in the game, and can be used for constant effects).

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-13, 04:26 PM
There's a real cheap way to get all skills up to 100...

In Fort Moonmoth, there's a person who sells Drain <skill> for not too much. Then head back to Balmora to the spell maker, and make a spell Drain <skill you're working on> 50-75. Cast your spell, your skill drops to just about 0 (at most, 25 for a 75 reduction). This means it costs exactly one gold to get a skillup. Repeat. Congratulations, 100 skill for next to nothing at ANY trainer which trains that skill.

Judicious use of doing this with the right skills can easily lead to maxing out all stats swiftly, because you have the ultimate control over which skills get skillups, thus you can ensure that two stats get a X5 mod, and luck goes up every level.

It's almost, but not quite, as cheezy as the Alchemy trick to save yourself millions in item creation costs. Brew a BUNCH of IQ potions (vendor sold ingredients), and take them all. They all stack. Now that your IQ is somewhere around 400, enchant. Use Azura's Star and the spell Summon Golden Saint for most efficent method of enchanting (Azura's Star is a reusable Grand Soul Gem, Golden Saint has the highest enchant point value in the game, and can be used for constant effects).

That works, but only in Morrowind.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-13, 05:40 PM
That works, but only in Morrowind.

The Drain Skill trick should still work in Oblivion

tannish2
2007-09-13, 05:41 PM
well the thing about infinite levels in oblivion is the ****ing annoying scaling enemies... i LIKE going up against daedra at level 1. i dont see the logic running to the top of the tower with a pillar of fire in the middle killing daedra as you go, then retreating from a rat when you decide not to fast travel. or the fact that that same rat 20 levels later can take TWO of my 500 damage spells. (high elf sign of the aprentice because hit points and resistances are for people who get hit) that encourages grinding (1 class skill 10 points 2 nonclass skills 10 points)

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-13, 06:10 PM
Yeah. That was a bad pendulum swing on the part of game design. In Morrowind, by the time you hit level 25, you could best anything. By level 30, you were nigh-invulnerable, or so it'd seem. So in Oblivion, they "scaled" things. Unfortunately, it frequently feels like every fight is a fight for your life. Some people like that, I guess.

Daze
2007-09-13, 08:15 PM
The scaleable levelling was the major drawback for Oblivion. It really prevented you from playing anything other than a fighter hybrid... good luck to you if you decided to level your non-combat skills first! Really took away from the "open" feeling Elder Scrolls is supposed to have.

I still play Morrowind once in a while, but I have no urge to pick up Oblivion anymore...

Cybren
2007-09-13, 10:25 PM
Yeah. That was a bad pendulum swing on the part of game design. In Morrowind, by the time you hit level 25, you could best anything. By level 30, you were nigh-invulnerable, or so it'd seem. So in Oblivion, they "scaled" things. Unfortunately, it frequently feels like every fight is a fight for your life. Some people like that, I guess.

The problem is oblivions combat still isn't good enough to make it that exciting. It's usually "backpeddle ranged attack backpeddle heal pot" x2 or perhaps "block hit block hit block dodge hit power attack"

Crilley
2007-09-14, 12:57 AM
Well I for one enjoy Oblivion.

Maybe thats only because I don't own it, and couldn't run it if I did, so had to play it at a friends house

Ramos
2007-09-14, 04:23 AM
EDIT:

Sry, thought you were talking about the limit on levels when you max out ability scores.

2007-09-14, 12:22 PM
It is always nice to see random bandits with Glass armor and Obsidian weapons wandering around the wilds.

Indon
2007-09-14, 01:11 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that can fix that.

Daze
2007-09-14, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a mod that can fix that.

There is... it's called "Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul" (OOO for short). But I think such a major game issue like that should be standard, not modded. *shrug*

tannish2
2007-09-14, 02:10 PM

well, for my superassasin characters most fights are 1 hit kills, and since they never see me only a constant reflect spell reflcet damage effect ever has even the slightest possibility of ever hurting my character. which sucks. and even then, i can still use poison. if i was any other character type then every fight would be a fight for my life, which would be boring.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-14, 02:14 PM
Well, I had an assassin-type in Morrowind (a Nightblade). I'd managed to max out my Sneak to 100. I snuck around with an enchanted Daedric Tanto and one-shot everything. I fully admit, I enjoyed that. Sneak-attacks aren't as much fun in Oblivion.

Yes, there is a mod to fix the issue, and I'm familiar with it. Just as there are mods that deal with the lack of high-level challenges in Morrowind. Out of the box, though, Oblivion's scaled-enemy system has some issues.