PDA

View Full Version : So we make Nightcrawler

ealan
2007-09-09, 12:16 PM
Ok here is the "Character" we are nicknaming him Nightcrawler because the original basis was that he teleports ALOT:
We have the Race: Catfolk
We have the Class: Warlock
We have our rolled Ability scores (not placed): 10 12 14 14 16 17
We have one requirment of the character must have Flee the Scene as an Invocation.
The Character is level 7, 1 level wasted on the Catfolk adjusment and 6 in Warlock.
Combat ability will be in the eldritch blast feature, so Point blank and Precise shot are almost complete given feats.
Catfolk gets a +4 Dex and +2 Cha making it an excelent choice for a Warlock.

So we have a basis for a Character.
The problem comes in that we seem short partied and the DM suggested the Leadership Feat.
We ended up with:
Str 12
Dex 20
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 20 (Got our point for lvl 4)

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Leadership

Invocations:
Spiderwalk
Devil's Sight
Eldritch Spear
Flee the Scene

The Character that was rolled off of the same scores:
Str 12
Dex 22 (Got our lvl 4)
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 18

Feats:
Point Blank
Precise
__________ (What goes here?)

Invocations:
Spiderwalk
Devil's Sight
Eldritch Spear
Flee the Scene

I personaly like the character with no Leadership feat but from this point will this character do much no but will Leadership help us. Well we fight a bunch of small swarm fights all the time, and the extra cohort and followers would help.

Seffbasilisk
2007-09-09, 03:50 PM
I'd personally make Nightcrawler a Shadow-Hand swordsage. Shadow Jaunt and it's betterments (even us to swift action use) seems to fit him better.

Neon Knight
2007-09-09, 03:57 PM
I'd personally make Nightcrawler a Shadow-Hand swordsage. Shadow Jaunt and it's betterments (even us to swift action use) seems to fit him better.

I agree heartily.

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 04:34 PM
There's the ability to hide in shadows that assassins get isn't there? Something like any shadow at all. Well nightcrawler becomes invisible in shadows.

kpenguin
2007-09-09, 04:36 PM
Shadowdancer has Hide in Plain Sight, but only near shadows, as well as a built-in dimension doorability.

MrNexx
2007-09-09, 05:30 PM

Multi-classing is not beyond the realm of possibility... but I agree that the Eldritch blast doesn't fit him at all.

Person_Man
2007-09-09, 07:04 PM
The traditional Nightcrawler build uses the Telflammar Shadowlord PrC (Unapproachable East). After he uses a spell, ability, or effect with the teleportation descriptor, he can make a full attack upon completion of the teleportation. There are a variety of ways to get multiple teleports and full attacks per round, such as Hustle and Dimension Slide. The Ruby Knight Vindicator can get a retarded number of full attacks using Shadow Blink.
It's very common on the optimization board.

Solo
2007-09-09, 08:22 PM
See Unseen is probably better than Devil's Sight.

Dausuul
2007-09-09, 08:55 PM
Wait... so your cohort is a warlock as well? That seems kind of pointless.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-10, 06:50 AM
I agree that the Eldritch blast doesn't fit him at all.

I suppose you could give him Hideous Blow, as Kurt is quite effective in melee. He'd need some kind of teleport strike, as well.

Hyfigh
2007-09-10, 10:08 AM
I'm partial to Incarnum for Nightcrawler builds. With the blink shirt soulmeld bound to the chest you can DD as a move action. Add in TfSL and a few levels of the umbral disciple PrC and you can be a very effective teleport pouncer, and you will essentially gain HiPS without requiring anything more than a couple points of essentia invested.