PDA

View Full Version : Tabaxi monk movement question

5timbers
2018-06-29, 09:15 PM
Im playing a 4th level tabaxi monk with a base speed of 40. I had cast silence on myself and was trying to sneak up on an npc who was alerted to me because it could sense thoughts(doppleganger). My plan was foiled but i knew another way into the room, but it was far. So, i used feline agility and moved plus dash so i could cover the distance in one round instead of 4. My dm said that was too much movement and wouldnt let me do it. She let me have 3x movement but im still pretty pissed because i could have spent a ki point and moved even farther. She let me go 120, rules say i could go 240. Am i wrong?

leogobsin
2018-06-29, 09:27 PM
I believe you've got the right interpretation here. The specific wording of Feline Agility is that it "doubles your speed" meaning effectively, your speed for that round was 80 feet. Using your action to Dash you could move another 80, and spending a Ki point on Step of the Wind would then give you a total of 240, yeah.

AvvyR
2018-06-30, 12:14 AM
This is correct, however using the Ki and double dashing would have still given you 120 without Feline Agility. Dash doesn't double your available movement, it adds your speed to your available movement. 40+40+40.

It sounds like your DM wants to treat the racial ability as a no-action dash, rather than a doubling of speed for the turn. It's still a great ability like that (and probably more what was intended for it), just not quite as incredible.

Kadesh
2018-06-30, 12:51 AM
I believe you've got the right interpretation here. The specific wording of Feline Agility is that it "doubles your speed" meaning effectively, your speed for that round was 80 feet. Using your action to Dash you could move another 80, and spending a Ki point on Step of the Wind would then give you a total of 240, yeah.

Once you have dashed, your movement is doubled. Dashing twice in one turn does nothing. Some classes having it as a bonus action just means it is more economic to do so.

Tanarii
2018-06-30, 12:52 AM
The important thing here: Silence doesn't target people, and it can't be moved. :smallamused:

As far as moment goes, you should have been able to move 160ft without Ki (80ft+80ft), 240ft with Ki (80ft+80ft+80ft), after using Feline Agility.

Once you have dashed, your movement is doubled. Dashing twice in one turn does nothing. Some classes having it as a bonus action just means it is more economic to do so, not an excuse to get 'double, doubled' movement.This is not correct. Each Dash action adds your speed to your total movement for the turn.

AvvyR
2018-06-30, 03:52 AM
Once you have dashed, your movement is doubled. Dashing twice in one turn does nothing. Some classes having it as a bonus action just means it is more economic to do so.
You can in fact dash twice. (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/05/30/can-you-dash-twice-in-1-round/)

Lombra
2018-06-30, 04:40 AM
Im playing a 4th level tabaxi monk with a base speed of 40. I had cast silence on myself and was trying to sneak up on an npc who was alerted to me because it could sense thoughts(doppleganger). My plan was foiled but i knew another way into the room, but it was far. So, i used feline agility and moved plus dash so i could cover the distance in one round instead of 4. My dm said that was too much movement and wouldnt let me do it. She let me have 3x movement but im still pretty pissed because i could have spent a ki point and moved even farther. She let me go 120, rules say i could go 240. Am i wrong?

FYI you can't cast silence on yourself, but only in a fixed spot. You are correct that you could move 80ft, dash 80ft, and bonus action dash with 1ki for 80 more feet with feline agility.

samuraijaques
2018-06-30, 04:54 AM
You're totally right and your dm is being completely unnecessarily restrictive for no apparent reason. With a base speed of 40ft you can move 80ft 3 times in a round if you use your move action, dash as an action and dash as a bonus action with ki point for a total of 240ft over 6 seconds. If you did this you'd end up doing just over 27mph which is about what Usain bolt runs and he's a human and not a cat with magic monk powers.

Danaclese
2019-07-05, 09:39 AM
just over 27mph which is about what Usain bolt runs and he's a human and not a cat with magic monk powers.

so, thats his top speed, in a straight line, completely unencumbered. this rocket monk is taking an action during this period, and is going from a dead stop. also bolt might be a little magic we havent checked.

youtellatale
2019-07-05, 09:59 AM
Sounds like your DM didn't like that you moved too fast. Just get the party wizard to create fire from absolutely nothing and throw a big giant fireball into a room, because that's not too much.
Another example of a DM punishing non-magic users for no real reason.

RedMage125
2019-07-05, 10:07 AM
so, thats his top speed, in a straight line, completely unencumbered. this rocket monk is taking an action during this period, and is going from a dead stop. also bolt might be a little magic we havent checked.

Cool, the "rocket monk" is also a non-human, of a race characterized by teh ability to exceed human norms of movement, ina FANTASY world, where those who train in that discipline (Monk Class) are also exceptionally, superhumanly, fast.

Works for me.

OP, you are correct. Your DM may be trying to preserve some meta-concept of "game balance" based on what you are doing vis what other characters are capable of. If you want to convince them in the future, take time (NOT during the game) to speak with them. Points to consider are:
Your race/class build is specifically built for this.
Your racial ability has a limitation (you must spend a whole round not moving to refresh it's use), and you are expending the use of it
You are expending a class-based resource which is also limited (Ki Point)
You were working WITH the other players (via having Silenbce cast on you) to make this work, it was a team effort.

Let him know that you will stand by his decision, but you are making those points for consideration, because your interpretation IS the correct one by the RAW. He may not care. DMs reserve the right to make house rules and changes (although they should be made clear up front to the players). Be polite and respectful, but just make your case, and see if his future rulings are different.