PDA

View Full Version : Block odor or scent?

BeefGood
2018-06-30, 09:55 AM
Is there any spell or ability that blocks a creature's scent, so that it can't be tracked by dogs, etc? I see a few spells that block magical detection or spells, but not scent.

Tanarii
2018-06-30, 10:01 AM
Cayenne pepper bomb should do it.

Kadesh
2018-06-30, 10:09 AM
Might be a possibility with Alter Self as it's Transmutation to make another scent but it will be unlikely to remove the scent in your clothes.

Prestidigitation can change flavours, which may be extrapolated to scents.

Magic Aura can hide or change magical auras, which might be a baseline for a honebrew spell.

Covering yourself in smelly muck to obscure the scent of a clean, polished person (or vice versa for a shower)

Lunali
2018-06-30, 10:11 AM
The spell pass without trace should do it or the lvl 14 ranger ability vanish.

BeefGood
2018-06-30, 11:01 AM
The spell pass without trace should do it or the lvl 14 ranger ability vanish.
Thanks, I see that Pass Without Trace specifically refers to tracking. That handles it for tracking. I wonder if that extends to merely concealing oneself in a particular place, as opposed to traveling?

Lunali
2018-06-30, 11:22 AM
Thanks, I see that Pass Without Trace specifically refers to tracking. That handles it for tracking. I wonder if that extends to merely concealing oneself in a particular place, as opposed to traveling?

For concealing in one place I would just go with stealth, so pass without trace would give +10 bonus, the ranger skill wouldn't help with that, but they have another skill that would. If the hunters are close enough that they're not tracking but looking for someone sitting still, you're going to be more worried about sight and sound most of the time.

Gryndle
2018-06-30, 06:40 PM
for preventing tracking by scent, as mentioned before cayenne pepper, aniseed, and several herbs/plants will interfere with a dog's tracking ability. the right combination applied directly to the dog (as an attack for example) or directly to your trail might disable a dog's ability to track at all for some time.

for not being recognized or identified as a threat, you can cover your scent with that of something less obtrusive. for example, IRL when the coyote packs migrate back to our property and start to howl at night, I put my hunting clothes in my dogs' bed, and I have a black/grey striped blanket I keep in their bed. I hunt the coyotes at night-by covering my scent and settling down in one spot and waiting they get close enough for me to deal with one or two, and then I don't have to worry about the pack for another year.
things like mud, scent of a local type of wildlife and such to hide your own. Hounds trained to track/attack/defend might notice the scent but they will be too disciplined to significantly react. Hunting dogs on the other hand could then be a problem if you smell like prey.

in game terms the above suggestions are probably best handled by a combination of stealth with nature and/or survival skills.

being TOTALLY undetectable by scent is another matter and probably requires magic though.