PDA

View Full Version : 2-Weapon Fighting W/ Crossbows (???)

Myatar_Panwar
2007-09-09, 01:50 PM
Ok, so it is my current goal to make a PC that can use Two Weapon Fighting with 2 crossbows. I admit that I did originally get the idea from AdInfinitum when I saw the prestige class that he/ she made.

Linky to Boltborn: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10755

But it still wasn't exactly what I was looking for. For one, I wanted to use regular crossbows, not hand crossbows, and I just didn't want the whole charisma/ wisdom based stuff. And so I just decided to make a couple of feats to make this a do-able build.

1-Handed Crossbow Fire
Prerequisite: Proficiency with a crossbow, Pointblank Shot, Rapid Reload
Benefit: You may now shoot a type of crossbow with one hand with less of a penalty. From now on, when firing a crossbow one-handed, you may lessen the penalty taken by 2.

(This essentially lets you shoot a light crossbow with one hand with a +0 penalty, and a heavy one with only a -2 penalty.)

Improved 1-Handed Crossbow Fire
Prerequisite: Proficiency with a crossbow, Pointblank Shot, Rapid Reload, 1-Handed Crossbow Fire
Benefit: After many weeks of training, you become even better while fighting with a crossbow in only one hand. You are now able to reload your selected crossbow type with no free hands with no penalty.

Each of these feats may be taken multiple times, each time you may select a new type of crossbow.

Ok then, thoughts? Are they overpowered? Are they underpowered? Should there be more feat prerequisites?

Vhaidara
2007-09-09, 02:22 PM
I think they already made a crossbow type designed for this, called a hand crossbow. Also, this should not be able to apply to Heavy crossbow.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-09-09, 02:33 PM
I think they already made a crossbow type designed for this, called a hand crossbow. Also, this should not be able to apply to Heavy crossbow.

Like I had said, I really didn't want to use a hand crossbow. Plus, hand crossbows still cannot be reloaded with one hand alone.

And why should you not be able to apply it to a Heavy crossbow? The PHB states that a heavy crossbow may be fired with one-hand with a minus 4 penalty. With 1-handed Crossbow fire, this is now a minus 2. Or do you mean reloading a heavy crossbow with one hand?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-09-09, 02:50 PM
If you have a weapon in each hand, reloading is going to be a real problem - to reload, you'll have to stow a weapon (move action), reload (move action), then draw the stowed weapon (move action)... Or drop the weapon (swift action), reload (move action), pick up the dropped weapon (move action)...
Sure, you've stipulated Rapid Reload as a prerequisite feat, but a character just plain cannot reload a crossbow while holding another item in the other hand.

Aside from that, the feats you've made aren't too powerful. I'd say maybe change the prerequisites - lose the Rapid Reload feat and add a STR 13+ requirement. Being able to quickly reload a crossbow has little bearing on whether you can fire it accurately one-handed.

D Knight
2007-09-09, 08:52 PM
here is a way u can go two weapon fighting with c'bows. frist thing to consider is race, take a race that has 4 arms. second class take ether fighter or ranger both get you there but ranger taks longer. thrid take nessary feats depends on class ex TWF, rapid reload, and any othe feat you deam nessary. right now i am working on this with fighter.

oh by the way any1 got a PrC for something like this.

Hawriel
2007-09-09, 09:42 PM
you guys are missing somthing.

Hand crossbow!

normal two weapon combat and hand crossbows. personaly I think the exodic weapon feat needed to use them is BS. As with the basterd sword there is no logical reason why you would need exotic weapons training.

I have a character that uses black powder pistols. Using hand crossbows is not mutch of a change.

oh and if your worred about damage.,.,...

oil of impact, acid, poison, ect ect ect.

edit PS
oh forgot. use holsters, holstering a handcross should not take an action. maybe fasion a hook on it so all you gota do to redraw the bow is to slide it against the holster. Also bolts for the handcross are smaller. You can keep them on (in)a, bandolier, belt quiver, belt pouch, thigh pouch, what ever. color coded for special additives.

jindra34
2007-09-09, 10:01 PM
you guys are missing somthing.

Hand crossbow!

normal two weapon combat and hand crossbows. personaly I think the exodic weapon feat needed to use them is BS. As with the basterd sword there is no logical reason why you would need exotic weapons training.

I have a character that uses black powder pistols. Using hand crossbows is not mutch of a change.

oh and if your worred about damage.,.,...

oil of impact, acid, poison, ect ect ect.

edit PS
oh forgot. use holsters, holstering a handcross should not take an action. maybe fasion a hook on it so all you gota do to redraw the bow is to slide it against the holster. Also bolts for the handcross are smaller. You can keep them on (in)a, bandolier, belt quiver, belt pouch, thigh pouch, what ever. color coded for special additives.

He said he did not want to use hand crossbows.

DracoDei
2007-09-09, 10:05 PM
I did something like this... only sketched it out real quick and never play tested it but I came up with some good enchantments to work with this sort of concept.

1.) Use repeater crossbows! (Made up hand sized version personally but if one uses the feats you have listed this isn't necessary.)

2.) New weapon enchantment equivalent to +1 that recocks the crossbow every time it fires. Requires Telekinesis to enchant with this.

3.) Cross the effects of a bag of holding/efficient quiver with each of the magazines. Hey presto 100+ shot capacity. (get extra of these so you can switch out to change the enchantments you have on the quarrels).