PDA

View Full Version : Cleric with 3 lvls of ranger

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-06-30, 11:11 AM
I'm think about multiclassing a cleric with 3 lvls of ranger. Because I think it might be cool and fit the story well. Any thoughts or suggestions any one has would be cool. Is it a bad idea? I'm new to dnd. Life domain.

Sorlock Master
2018-06-30, 11:13 AM
What domain? Stats? Party comp?

The more info we have the better we can help.

Ebon
2018-06-30, 03:29 PM
Life Domain with the Ranger's Spell Goodberry does a good job of keeping a party healthy. I like Life Domain also because it gives you most of the spells you would want a Cleric to have from its Domain list. This leaves your selected spells to be more to your liking. Make sure and take Healing Word in case anyone hits 0 HP.

CTurbo
2018-06-30, 05:35 PM
Yes it would work great with either Hunter or Gloom Stalker depending on what you want to be able to do.

What are you stats and playstyle? Do you want to be good in melee? Prefer to only cast spells? Want to be awesome with a bow when you're not healing? What race?

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-06-30, 06:09 PM
I plan on taking archery and I'm a human variant with the ritual caster feat for find familiar to add range to the touch spells. I can cast goodberry before a long rest and give gooseberries to other players in case I go down right

CTurbo
2018-06-30, 06:14 PM
I plan on taking archery and I'm a human variant with the ritual caster feat for find familiar to add range to the touch spells. I can cast goodberry before a long rest and give gooseberries to other players in case I go down right

Sound good. Ask your DM if you can use the UA Revised Ranger.

I'd probably go 3-5 levels of Hunter Ranger and take Colossus Slayer so when you hit, you hit really hard.

Gloom Stalker is very good too though. It would give you darkvision which is really nice since you don't have it, and give you a super powered first turn so you can dish out some damage before needing to heal/buff the party.

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-06-30, 06:16 PM
I was only going to take 3 lvls of ranger so I can still get top tier cleric spells

CTurbo
2018-06-30, 06:22 PM
I was only going to take 3 lvls of ranger so I can still get top tier cleric spells

Makes sense. Can you use the UA Revised Ranger? I stand by Hunter 3 with Colossus Slayer so your one attack hits really hard as Colossus Slayer stacks with Divine Strike.

Spectrulus
2018-06-30, 06:25 PM
If your DM allows homebrew, I made this one up a while ago as I had a similar idea.

Cleric of the Hunt
Cleric of the Hunt

Hunter Domain

Many early cultures placed great significance on the hunt. Not only did hunts provide food for the tribes, but also raw materials for shelter, clothing, and tools.*
Every culture has their own god of the hunt, and in D&D, most Hunter clerics follow Artemis, Balinor, Chislev, Ehlonna, Habbakuk, Malar, Melora, Obad-Hai, Oberon, Semuanya, Silvanus, Solonor Thelandir, or Uller, although other diety's favors may be called upon for any people.*

Hunter Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells
1st wild cunning, snare
3rd ensnaring strike, pass without trace
5th conjure barrage, commune with nature
7th conjure animals,swift quiver
9th conjure volley, steel wind strike

Bonus Cantrip

When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the true strike cantrip if you don't already know it.

Bonus Proficiencies

At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons.

Huntmaster

From 1st level, your deity can delivers bursts of speed to you while you try to overtake your targets. As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward an enemy of your choice that you can see or hear. You must end this move closer to the enemy than you started.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest or long rest.

Channel Divinity: Track Prey

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to locate your prey.*For one hour you gain +5 on Insight, Perception, and Survival checks to locate any creature you specify. If your prey is on another plane this ability fails but you know they are on another plane but not which one.

If you also have any item or part of that creature (a strand of hair, a finger, etc.) You instead gain +10 on these checks for the duration.

Channel Divinity: Mark the Quarry

At 6th level, you may spend your action to raise your holy symbol and mark an enemy you can see. While marked, whenever this enemy is dealt damage, it is dealt additional damage equal to your Wisdom bonus by up to five creatures your designate. The enemy can only suffer this damage once per turn. After one minute, the mark expires.

Hunter's Blessing

At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 damage of the same type to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8 damage.

Spiritual Strike

Starting at 17th level, when you use your action to cast a spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

TL/DR
All ranged weapons, some Ranger spells, Aggressive x times a day, Channel for Tracking and/or party Hunter's Mark, cleric bonus damage, & cast while shooting as capstone.

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-06-30, 06:31 PM
Makes sense. Can you use the UA Revised Ranger? I stand by Hunter 3 with Colossus Slayer so your one attack hits really hard as Colossus Slayer stacks with Divine Strike.

Maybe the dm hasnt said no yet

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-06-30, 09:52 PM
I like gloom stalker. For the utility

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-06-30, 10:14 PM
I like gloom stalker. For the utility

CTurbo
2018-06-30, 10:36 PM
Gloom Stalker is very good for small dips for sure. Just getting darkvision as a human is great.

The UA Revised as mentioned above is kind of OP for small dips since it gets you advantage on Initiative and lets you ignore difficult terrain. Really Natural Explorer in general is really powerful. Plus you can select "humanoids" as your favored enemy.