PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Monk?

Chalkarts
2018-06-30, 01:32 PM
In the official lore of D&D are there any halfling Monk orders?

Tanarii
2018-06-30, 01:56 PM
Forgotten Realms has the Hin Fist.

I played a Hin Fist halfling monk in a Neverwinter Nights server, after seeing the magic time gloves for them. It was a lot of fun.

Now in 5e, Monk is one of the first classes I think of for Halflings. The other is Viking-style Barbarians, but that's the fault of Dungeonomics articles.

AttilatheYeon
2018-06-30, 02:06 PM
Make a Ghostwise halfling monk who took a vow of silence. Make sure to be extra "chatty" 😉

Chalkarts
2018-06-30, 02:08 PM
Forgotten Realms has the Hin Fist.

Interesting.
I wanted to make a Diviner/Monk with the lucky feat.
And the halfling luck just to drive the point home.

CTurbo
2018-06-30, 05:48 PM
Interesting.
I wanted to make a Diviner/Monk with the lucky feat.
And the halfling luck just to drive the point home.

I'm assuming Diviner 6/Monk 14? That's going to be a weird MAD character.

Chalkarts
2018-07-01, 04:45 AM
MAD? I’m still learning my acronyms

nickl_2000
2018-07-01, 05:13 AM
MAD? I’m still learning my acronyms

MAD means multi attribute dependant. As in they require a lot of different stats to be high to do really well.

Lombra
2018-07-01, 05:49 AM
I'm assuming Diviner 6/Monk 14? That's going to be a weird MAD character.

Diviner 2 /monk x is all you need for the dice manipulation galore.

ZenBear
2018-07-01, 03:11 PM
Diviner 2 /monk x is all you need for the dice manipulation galore.

You would still need 13 INT minimum to multiclass iirc. Not impossible, but Monks need high DEX and WIS, plus at least middling CON to survive melee. Tough to balance all that with point buy or standard array, but if you get lucky on rolls or use high fantasy stats it should be fine.

Chalkarts
2018-07-01, 10:30 PM
You would still need 13 INT minimum to multiclass iirc. Not impossible, but Monks need high DEX and WIS, plus at least middling CON to survive melee. Tough to balance all that with point buy or standard array, but if you get lucky on rolls or use high fantasy stats it should be fine.

I was going to give him 13 intelligence.
He’s not too bright which is why he failed to go very far in his wizard studies and turned to pit fighting relying on his uncanny luck and a competent understanding of precognition to stay comfortable, though bruised.

ZenBear
2018-07-01, 11:16 PM
I was going to give him 13 intelligence.
He’s not too bright which is why he failed to go very far in his wizard studies and turned to pit fighting relying on his uncanny luck and a competent understanding of precognition to stay comfortable, though bruised.

Nice way to work it into the backstory! It’s cool to see unorthodox builds with some solid context. Have fun!