PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Player spending downtime to create a magic item

Obie
2018-06-30, 02:38 PM
5e, not AL
If a druid player wanted to spend their downtime (and potentially significant amounts of currency) to craft a magical item that would allow them to cast cantrips during wildshape, would you allow this?
Magic items that actually benefit a moon druid are pretty rare, and even then pretty much only for flavor or in natural form. IF this item were allowed, what rarity would you expect it to have, and while the player wouldn't intentionally curse their own item, what might be a good potential "negative" or "drawback" of wearing the item?

The campaign is not expected to reach level 18 when the druid would obtain beast casting for spells using spell slots.
DMG 128-129 for guide on players creating magical items during downtime.
DMG 284-285 for DM guide to creating magic items.

I'd be happy to type them out here if it would be helpful.
Thank you for your time and input!

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-30, 02:51 PM
5e, not AL
If a druid player wanted to spend their downtime (and potentially significant amounts of currency) to craft a magical item that would allow them to cast cantrips during wildshape, would you allow this?
Magic items that actually benefit a moon druid are pretty rare, and even then pretty much only for flavor or in natural form. IF this item were allowed, what rarity would you expect it to have, and while the player wouldn't intentionally curse their own item, what might be a good potential "negative" or "drawback" of wearing the item?

The campaign is not expected to reach level 18 when the druid would obtain beast casting for spells using spell slots.

First, I'd recommend using the Xanathar's Guide downtime rules instead of the DMG ones. Much better thought out.

Cantrips normally are uncommon at worst, but useable in beast form may bump it up a bit. Maybe rare, although probably uncommon.

Common: Use one specific cantrip, has charges. Levels 1-4
Uncommon: Use one specific cantrip at will OR use any known cantrip, has charges. Choose one at creation. Levels 5-8-ish
Rare: Use any known cantrip at will. Levels 9+ ish

Depending on the commonness of magic items in your world, of course.

Don't forget to make him quest for an item/place/event to complete the item.

Ganymede
2018-06-30, 03:18 PM
I'd let a player spend their gold and downtime researching the various dungeons and tombs where they might find that item. Then, they can go on an adventure to that location to get it.

Slybluedemon
2018-06-30, 03:19 PM
5e, not AL

It doesn't sound OP.

People love to have magic items that are personal to them, it makes them feel special.
I would allow it but I would require a quest to get the last ingredient, maybe he needs a piece of wood blessed by an Archdruid (you could even have the party meet the Archdruid in question)

You said "Magic items that actually benefit a moon druid are pretty rare" so it would be really cool to make one.

Obie
2018-06-30, 04:36 PM
Thank you guys for taking the time to post your thoughts. Its sounds like at least among a fairly small sample size, nobody is worried about this being OP. I've got some decent ideas knocking around now.

Unoriginal
2018-06-30, 04:49 PM
First, I'd recommend using the Xanathar's Guide downtime rules instead of the DMG ones. Much better thought out.

This is true.

Thank you guys for taking the time to post your thoughts. Its sounds like at least among a fairly small sample size, nobody is worried about this being OP. I've got some decent ideas knocking around now.

I would consider being able to invent new magic items easily and to do exactly what you want to be much more OP than being able to cast cantrips while in Wildshape.

Researching that formula should be hard, and an adventure on its own right, IMO.

As a DM, I would make it a Boon rather than a magic item.