PDA

View Full Version : What spells I would have to use to do this?

Crooked Man
2018-06-30, 05:32 PM
I'm bored and when I'm bored I like to think of scenarios and try to use D&D spells to solve.

I want to put someone on suspended animation to preserve their body, create a copy of their body, rip their soul out of the sleeping body and put in the copy.

I'm thinking about using:

-Temporal Stasis or Imprisonment.
-Some form of modified soul jar.
-Simulacrum.

Would that work? What you think fellow arcane magic users?

Anonymouswizard
2018-06-30, 05:41 PM
Clone sounds better than Simulacrum, it's kind of what the spell was made for.

The rest sounds good, although I think ripping out the soul of an Imprisoned creature might be a tad difficult...

BWR
2018-06-30, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a job for Life Force Transfer. Assuming you want a 3.x version of it rather than the 2e:

Life Force Transfer
(Necromancy)
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 8 rounds or Immediate action
Components: V, S, M, F
Range: touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Target: two creatures/objects
Saving throw: Fortitude negates
Spell resistance: yes

You transfer the life force and soul of a creature into a specially prepared creature or object. On a failed save the target's life and soul are stuck in the object, which it is now stuck in this object. Ceatures can communicate with other beings touching the object if their Intelligence is greater than 11-
12-13 semi-empathy (tingling, throbbing, etc.)
14-16 empathy (transmit feelings)
17+ telepathically
If you transfer the target into an object or creature with an existing soul or intelligence, the receptacle also gains a saving throw to negate. If the receptacle fails the saving throw its soul and intelligence are ejected and pass on to their normal afterlife or become haunting spirits.
You can also transfer an object's sentience into another object or a creature. Unless sealed with a permanency spell, the transfer can be undone with a dispel evil or break enchantment or similar magic. This spell may be cast as an immediate action if you intend to transfer your own lifeforce to a waiting receptacle.
Focus: a valuable object of masterwork quality (if the life force is to be transferred there)
Material Components: a 5000 gp garnet, a special scroll with rare inks

So Clone, LFT original body to clone, then Temporal Stasis on the original body.

Crooked Man
2018-06-30, 06:27 PM
The problem with clone is that if I remember correctly the spell destroys the original body, does it not?

BTW thanks for the spell that's what I was looking for!

JNAProductions
2018-06-30, 06:30 PM
The problem with clone is that if I remember correctly the spell destroys the original body, does it not?

No? The whole point is that you have a spare body for when you die-if it destroyed the original, wouldn't be very useful for that.

Crooked Man
2018-06-30, 06:32 PM
It's this part that worries me:

"The original creature’s physical remains, if they still exist, become inert and can’t thereafter be restored to life, since the creature’s soul is elsewhere".

The ideia is that I'm conserving my foe's oroginal body and I plan to return his soul to it in the future.

Harpier
2018-06-30, 06:57 PM
Would that be a problem if you already have the soul and can transplant it manually?
It sounds like the reason that a cloned person can't be resurrected is because of a lack of link to, and problems locating/manipulating the soul because it's off running around in another body that it's already anchored to, not a problem with the remains themselves.