PDA

View Full Version : Most number of cantrips by level 5

mgshamster
2018-06-30, 09:39 PM
I've rolled up a PC using 4d6b3 and ended up with nearly straight 13s.

So, I've decided to multiclass the heck out of this character and see if I can maximize the number of cantrips get would have.

I can use any published 5e book, and UA is on a case by case basis.

How high can we go?

Fordian
2018-06-30, 09:57 PM
Pretty straightforward, I think. Start as a Variant Human, if allowed, to take the Magic Initiate feat (2 cantrips), or any race that gets a starting cantrip (e.g. High Elf) if not, or if you want to try to get the maximum number of cantrips by level 20 instead of level 5. 1 level of Cleric (Arcana domain, 5 cantrips), 1 level of Wizard (3 cantrips), 1 level of Sorcerer (Giant Soul, if allowed as UA, gets 5, otherwise you get 4 cantrips), 1 level of Warlock (Celestial pact, 4 cantrips), and 1 of either Bard or Druid (2 cantrips). Gets you a total of 21 cantrips by level 5 (20 if Giant Soul sorcerer isn't allowed). Won't be a very powerful character, mind you, but you'll have a lot of cantrips.

leogobsin
2018-06-30, 10:05 PM
Off the top of my head:
Sorcerer starts with 4, Wizard with 3, Cleric with 3 and Arcana domain lets you pick 2 from the Wizard list. After that, Bard, Druid, and Warlock give 2 each, (Warlock might be the way to go if you want to get a few more from Pact of the Tome). Variant Human with Magic Initiate gets 2 more. All told, at level 5 with 1 level in 5 different classes that's 18 cantrips.