PDA

View Full Version : Melee with spell casting secondary build

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-07-01, 05:43 AM
I'm trying to help a friend build his Character. He wants to be able to do serious melee damage and be able to cast spells. Currently he have a rogue in the party. And I'm building a life domain cleric. What's the best combo of melee spell caster.

swamp_slug
2018-07-01, 07:30 AM
Depends what theme your friend wants to go for.

Top of the list is probably Paladin, who can use spell slots to deal additional damage with their melee attacks but the rest of their spellcasting is generally split between party buffs, healing or additional melee damage spells (smites).

The Fighter's Eldritch Knight swings a bit more towards melee with some minor spellcasting with spells drawn from the Wizard spell list allowing them to pick up spells like Shield, Scorching Ray and even Fireball at high levels (13+), but to be effective with offensive spells they will need to invest in Str/Dex, Con and Int.

The Warlock has the Hexblade subclass that has the benefit of only needing to invest in Cha for both weapon and spell attacks. They get a more limited selection of spells and up until level 10 only have 2 spell slots, but they recover them on a short rest rather than a long rest.

The Bard also has the Valor and Swords subclasses, which are the melee focused versions. Bards are full spellcasters but their spell selection focuses heavily on enchantment and illusion.

With a rogue and a cleric in the party I would recommend either the Paladin or the Eldritch Knight depending on how much and what type of spellcasting your friend is after. While the Warlock and Bard are viable, they are both d8 hit die classes (compared to d10 for the Fighter and Paladin) and are limited to medium armour (and therefore need some Dex for AC) while the Paladin and Fighter get heavy armour. Having played as both I can tell you that the Eldritch Knight's spellcasting progression is slow. By the time the Paladin is getting 3rd level spells, the Fighter will still only have 2 2nd level spell slots.

I have left the Ranger off the list as, while it can do melee, I feel that with so many of its spells being bonus actions and its heavy lean on Dex and lighter armour, they are better suited as ranged combatants.

citystar
2018-07-01, 08:24 AM
For a full spellcaster I'd recommend a Bladesinger; for a half-spellcaster I'd go with a Hexblade.

CTurbo
2018-07-01, 08:57 AM
I'd go with Paladin for this.

Eldritch Knight would be second choice.

Hexblade/Blade pact would be third.

Valor or Swords Bard would be a forth.

Bladesinger would be fifth.

Moon Druid would be sixth.

CaptAl
2018-07-01, 09:12 AM
If the player wants to be a holy warrior, then paladin is the way to go. If the player wants to be less party friendly, and more blasty with his occasional spell use, then EK is the way to go. Moon druid is a solid contender if a nature warrior with more spells out of combat and face eating in combat is desirable. But, moon druids are notorious for their power spikes at 2nd, 10th and 20th levels. The player may feel under powered for long stretches, especially in that 10-20 range.

nickl_2000
2018-07-01, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't do moon druid. They are a very wierd combination of melee and spell casting since they can't do both at once. Typically its cast something them wild shape and bonus action while hoping not to get knocked out of form.

Also as others have said there are major, make power spikes that you have to work through. There are times when is way better to be a normal caster and stay out of melee.

An EK, bladesinger, paladin, or hexblade would be a much better choice

CTurbo
2018-07-01, 09:35 AM
The OP basically described a Paladin or EK Fighter

No need to look any further IMO lol

nickl_2000
2018-07-01, 10:04 AM
The OP basically described a Paladin or EK Fighter

No need to look any further IMO lol

Ranger wouldn't be a horrible choice either, although third to EK and paladin

scoutsdoitbettr
2018-07-01, 06:11 PM
Dont forget about Four Elements Monk. Its a fun class if you play it right. Think of Avatar, The Last Air Bender.

Also, you can go Hexblade/Fighter Glaivelock. Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master. Pretty devastating.

And even look into the more unconventional. Barbarians can Smite while raging, as well as lay on hands, because they are abilities and are not "cast". It gives them a few spells out of combat (just pick buffs, spells that dont need a high CHA) the slots will mostly be for Smites anyways, and then release holy hell on your enemies. Pair it with Aasimar race and you get 2 heals you can use while raging.

There are loads of ways to do what hes asking. I would suggest he comes up with a more RP flavored backstory of his character first, or pick something from pop culture. Then build it.

I have always loved the "Iron Fist" monk. Monk/Paladin Punching Smites ftw!!

Lord8Ball
2018-07-01, 06:16 PM
I've had some fun playing an arcane domain cleric/ swashbuckler with the booming blade.

Kane0
2018-07-01, 06:32 PM
Any sort of Paladin would be my first recommendation, followed by Eldritch Knight fighter or Hexblade Warlock if you have Xanathar's Guide. Bladesinger Wizard or Valor Bard after that.

Mercurias
2018-07-02, 06:11 PM
Serious Melee damage and casting spells sounds like your buddy wants to play a Sorcadin.

Speely
2018-07-02, 06:21 PM
Paladin sounds like the simplest, most fool-proof way to do this for a newcomer. Pure Hexblade is a runner-up. I would go Paladin just because it's more forgiving.

djreynolds
2018-07-02, 11:57 PM
Shocking grasp is a sweet cantrip, my mountain dwarf abjurer made good use of it when in melee.

You will not have a modifier to add to damage, but you get a bump at 5th, 11th, 17th.... 4d8 for damage that uses your casting stat.

samuraijaques
2018-07-03, 04:06 AM
Why not be totally amazing at both? Go sorcadin. It's a paladin/sorcerer multiclass that can dish out ridiculous melee and spell damage. There's even a guide to making one.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

Hope it helps

Mercurias
2018-07-03, 07:50 PM
If your friend wants to stay single class, they might like a Vengeance Pally. It’s basically the holy avenger flavor of the class, and so it’s tuned for combat and violence. Being a murderhobo would actually allow him to fulfill its tenants so long as he’s killing things he thinks are evil or that he’s avenging something.

EK is still a good choice, also. I tend to feel they’re best used when their spells spell slots are aimed towards defensive casting and their cantrips are used for offense utility. They’re a good class, but in high level games a lot of enemies might end up resisting their spell profiencicy if they try to Blast like a sorcerer.

Hexblade Warlocks are surprisingly effective when built correctly, but they always seemed kind of fiddly to me, and most of them need at least a one level dip into fighter if they want heavy armor. Still, two levels only gives up a single ability score improvement and an action surge is a mighty thing to have in your back pocket.