PDA

View Full Version : Deities as Warlock Patrons

Thrasher92
2018-07-01, 02:04 PM
I found out that back in November of last year Mike Mearls (one of the lead designers for DnD 5e for those of you who don't know) created a write up for a warlock patron. He used Lolth and made some thematic abilities and spells for the class.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPDewbIVwAAXdBt.jpg:large

I thought it was really interesting. It shows us the possibility for making a deity into a warlock patron. So instead of choosing the celestial archtype for a warlock, wouldn't it be more interesting to work with your DM and custom fit your patron to a certain god?

What deities would you choose? What abilities and spells would be thematic with your choice of deity?

Millstone85
2018-07-01, 02:08 PM
The Lolth described here appears to be an archfey, however.

Unoriginal
2018-07-01, 02:10 PM
Asmodeus is probably the most notable example of being who is both a deity and a Warlock's Patron.

hamishspence
2018-07-01, 02:11 PM

More a "fey god" in a similar way to the way that Corellon would be, as "god of the eladrins and elves".

Unoriginal
2018-07-01, 02:14 PM

More a "fey god" in a similar way to the way that Corellon would be, as "god of the eladrins and elves".

Lolth is the queen of the dark feys in Mearls' personal setting, IIRC. This write-up was an idea for his campaign he decide to share.

hamishspence
2018-07-01, 02:29 PM
The inclusion of Torog makes it sound like it's based on the Dawn War/Nentir Vale/Points of Light setting.

Unoriginal
2018-07-01, 04:29 PM
The inclusion of Torog makes it sound like it's based on the Dawn War/Nentir Vale/Points of Light setting.

Yeah, Mearls a fan of Nentir Vale, I think he mentioned using the lore for his home game.

Kadesh
2018-07-01, 05:00 PM
Why does it have Warlock Spells in its spell list? Does he think they operate like Domains? Or is that part of an FAQ i've missed?

To answer OP: kord, and other gods of strength

1st: 1d4 unarmed strikes, bonus action unarmed strike (Str only), Barbarians Unarmoured Defense except for Shield

Spell list: mainly based around self empowerment

3rd: pact of the blade allows all references of pact blade to instead only refer to your unarmed strikes. Also grants proficiency (or expertise if already present) in athletics.

6: regain a single Warlock spell slot after making a critical hit with an unarmed strike which you must cast before the end of your next turn to cast a spell capable of targeting self only after making a critical hit 1/short rest

10: autopass concentration from damage for conc checks on spells you cast only on yourself

14: on creatures or objects failing an opposed grapple check with you, you can cause them to automatically take unarmed strike damage. Those who fail grapple checks by 5 or more are considered restrained and take unarmed strike damage. Those who fail by 10 or more are knocked prone, restrained, and take unarmed strike damage.

Invocations:
- unarmed strikes are now magical (6th) and add half your proficiency mod (round down) to attacks and damage rolls.
- gain martial arts progression as per the monk (still Str only, but now applies to weapons). Add Warlock levels to monk levels when determining martial arts unarmed damage when using Str.

_____

Telekinesis/Psionic/Magic God
- 1: Blade Ward cantrip gains duration equal to your proficiency, add Mage Hand to known Cantrips
- 6: Tool Proficiencies
- 10: Can use Telekinesis to make melee or thrown attacks with appropriately sized proficient items against targets within reach of the weapon. Non appropriately sized items are considered improvised weapons, as are non thrown weapons you wish to throw. Add Telekinesis to known spells.
- 14: Maintain concentration on Telekinesis Spell automatically when you take damage.

Invocations
- Can expend Major Arcanum to cast Telekinesis. It can affect 1 additional target for each Major Arcanum level higher than 5th used.

thrdeye
2018-07-01, 05:18 PM
Why does it have Warlock Spells in its spell list? Does he think they operate like Domains? Or is that part of an FAQ i've missed?

It's to allow the warlock to cast them while in the spider form from Dark Queen's Servitor.

Naanomi
2018-07-01, 05:43 PM
Several of the beings listed as patrons were Gods in past editions... and in 5e Ghaunadar is listed as a Great Old One in the PHB but also a God in MToF

Unoriginal
2018-07-01, 06:00 PM
Personally I like that the categories of ultra-powerful beings who have secrets on top of secrets aren't quite well-defined and separate. After all, why would they?

Kane0
2018-07-01, 06:07 PM
If you wanted to go into this perhaps looking into Domains as inspiration would be a good starting point. Having specific deities might become problematic within differing settings.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-01, 07:04 PM
I feel like Lolth isn’t a good example for this. In the past she’s been described as a god, a fey, and a fiend.

Sigreid
2018-07-01, 07:46 PM
Imo any deity or high level outsider can be a patron, but abilities wouldn't be deity specific like a cleric. Reasoning is that warlocks don't receive granted powers from their patron but are taught secrets by the patron. So, I think the current patron model does a fine job of saying "these kinds of outsiders know these kinds of secrets to teach".

Millstone85
2018-07-02, 02:41 AM
I feel like Lolth isn’t a good example for this. In the past she’s been described as a god, a fey, and a fiend.Indeed, though I feel that the Lolth we know would only be satisfied with worship, and kill anyone who dares contact her as a fey or fiend to bargain with.

By contrast, even after achieving godhood, Asmodeus remains at the top of the biggest pact-making enterprise in the Wheel.

Anyway, yes, it would be better to consider a character who is only known as a deity.

MagneticKitty
2018-07-02, 05:34 PM
There's a raven queen patron as well. And she's a god

Joe the Rat
2018-07-02, 05:49 PM
Not anymore she isn't.

Another angle would be not the deity, but a servant acting as Patron.

My next planned character is a Kobold Celestial Warlock, who's Patron is one of Bahamut's Seven Gold Dragon attendants.

He talks to canaries.

Mith
2018-07-03, 12:08 AM
Not anymore she isn't.

Another angle would be not the deity, but a servant acting as Patron.

My next planned character is a Kobold Celestial Warlock, who's Patron is one of Bahamut's Seven Gold Dragon attendants.

He talks to canaries.

What is his thoughts on "Canaries in a Coal Mine."?

Envyus
2018-07-03, 02:12 AM
A thing that is different between Warlocks and Clerics is that warlocks don't need to worship their patron (Or even like) their patron. It's easy to enough to say that some gods like having warlocks working with them to help expand their influence.

lperkins2
2018-07-03, 02:59 AM
A thing that is different between Warlocks and Clerics is that warlocks don't need to worship their patron (Or even like) their patron. It's easy to enough to say that some gods like having warlocks working with them to help expand their influence.

Also, mostly just as flavour, clerics draw their power directly from the gods they worship. Warlocks draw their knowledge from some other being, often in exchange for service. This mostly comes up in settings where clerics can lose access to their gods' blessings by violating their tenants, while a warlock's power is not continuously granted.