PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrewed Magical item help!

Roxyuss
2018-07-01, 02:48 PM
I'm a new DM and i have made a list of magic items for my party to eventually receive and I was wondering if there were any good (note the shield of heroic memories is a modified version of an item from the adventure zone) also the party im with is a generally good party composed of a human theif, half drow warlock of the raven queen, and a Goliath barbarian.

Miscellaneous

Ghostwalker Band
A bracer with a white opal gem. Pressing it down will activate the band causing the wearer to become transparent and ethereal, appearing as a white glassy figure with streaks of rainbow colors throughout your body. Although you have mobility, you cannot interact with the world around you and nothing can interact with you. In addition, all of your equipment will fall away except the bracer. Press the Opal again to return to normal. Once returned to normal, your equipment will not return to you. If you want it, back you will have to retrieve it.

Rumba’delthax’s Arcane Soapdish
The Magic councilor of Rivengradd and CEO of Keen Eye Inc. brings to you the Arcane soapdish. Any water held in the dish will become liquid soap. Set it to Body wash, Shampoo, conditioner, or Dish soap as desired! Soap that leaves the dish will remain soap for one minute then turn back to water, NO NEED TO RINSE.

Drake’s Mouth Masks
A series of masks that allow you to use a dragon's breath weapon; one mask for each color of dragon. The colored dragons masks contain two charges, but are dangerous as there is a one in six chance it will deal half damage rounded up to the wearer. The metallic dragon masks contain one charge but have a one in six chance of dealing plus four damage. Recharges every long rest.

Angel’s Boon
The wings of an angel that have been fashioned into a cape allowing the user to fly. If someone of evil alignment attempts to use this, it will deal 1d6 radiant damage to the user per minute.

Demon’s Boon
The wings of a demon that have been fashioned into a cape allowing the user to fly. If someone of good alignment attempts to use this it will deal 1d6 Necrotic damage to the user per minute.

Refraction Spoon
A silver spoon imbued with powerful magic. When an AOE attack is made at you and at least one other creature or object, roll 1d20. On a 20, the attack is absorbed into the spoon and reflected back at the caster at the damage of the attack times the radius of the spell. On a 12-19, the spell is absorbed into the spoon and concentrated at you at the damage of the attack times the radius of the spell halved. On an 11-2 nothing happens. On a 1 the damage and radius of the attack is multiplied by 2.

Rumba’delthax’s Pop-up Porta Potty
A small blue cube with a dial on it. Turning the dial from it's starting position of green to the red position causes the box to expand into a small porta potty who returns to being a box and it’s contents vanish upon turning back to red (when expanded the dial is on the inside).

The Wings of Death
Leather gauntlets with black feathers on the bottom said to be from the raven queen. The gauntlets sprout spectral black feathered wings when you speak the true name of the raven queen (Nera).
The wings allow you to move upwards at half your movement speed and horizontally at your movement speed +10. Lasts for five minutes, carries two charges, recharges every short rest.

Vampire’s grip
A pair of silver gauntlets with a gem made of crystallized blood at its center. The gauntlets allow the wearer to drain the life essence from another by way of dealing damage this essence (half the damage dealt rounded up) can be transferred to a creature of the wearer’s choice within 20 feet. Carries charges equal to half the wearer’s level rounded up. Recarges on long rest.

Weaponry

Boomerang Mercenary’s Gear
A set of Magical weapons once wielded by the famous Boomerang Mercenaries. The weapons, which include Hammers Fist (mace+1), Baulrics Blade (scimitar+1), Chanta’s Whistler (longsword+1), and Angie's Feller (hand axe+1), all have the ability to return to the owner on command in a straight line. All can hit on the way back.

The Ray of Obliteration
A black and gold ornate tube with a golden dragon head on one end, an orb glowing with blue energy on top and a trigger below. Upon pulling the trigger, a beam of blue energy shoots from the dragon head in a 100 ft line dealing 10d20 damage to anything in that line. How to recharge it is unknown.

Kyermay’s Bow
A beautifully carved wooden bow with green energy that pulses through the carved vines covering the bow. When firing the bow (bow+1), two green spectral arrows fire either along with the arrow, in a triangular pattern, or at mirrored angles from each other at a maximum of 45 degrees from the real arrow. Carries five charges recharges every long rest.

Kyermay’s Thorn
A short, curved sword seemingly made from a greenish wood, wrapped in still living vines. The blade (short sword +1) secretes a natural poison. When a creature is hit with dagger they must make a Constitution saving throw of 16 or take 1d4 poison damage along with the 1d6 of the blade.

Armor

Shield of heroic Memories
A silver round shield with a mirror finish. As you take the shield (Shield+1) into battle it remembers the battles you went through and an image representing the battle is engraved magicly into the shield. You can also recount past battles (real or imagined) to the shield with either a d10 charisma check, a d15 deception check or a d10 history check, you then gain an additional +1 AC against another enemy of that type. Five failed attempts to recount a battle will revert the shield back to it's mirror finish and it loses its bonuses

LegendForHire
2018-07-01, 07:31 PM
Ghostwalker Band
A bracer with a white opal gem. Pressing it down will activate the band causing the wearer to become transparent and ethereal, appearing as a white glassy figure with streaks of rainbow colors throughout your body. Although you have mobility, you cannot interact with the world around you and nothing can interact with you. In addition, all of your equipment will fall away except the bracer. Press the Opal again to return to normal. Once returned to normal, your equipment will not return to you. If you want it, back you will have to retrieve it.

So, etherealness with the cost of losing equipment temporarily. Your party will love this, and it has a lot of good uses. This is nice

nickl_2000
2018-07-02, 06:55 AM
Kyermay’s Thorn
A short, curved sword seemingly made from a greenish wood, wrapped in still living vines. The blade (short sword +1) secretes a natural poison. When a creature is hit with dagger they must make a Constitution saving throw of 16 or take 1d4 poison damage along with the 1d6 of the blade.

For 1d4 poison damage, I wouldn't even bother with the DC con throw. At the point that you would likely be giving this away, the extra 2.5 damage probably won't be a huge amount and the saving throw will just slow down the game. Also, considering how much is immune to poison out there the save is needed even less (especially since it will go to the thief most likely, who only gets 1 attack per round).

There are some pretty cool fluff magical items in here that sound like they would be fun.

Angel's Boon and Demon's Boon - Think carefully before you give these away. Granting flight to a player can majorly change how a campaign goes. It adds some major complexity to the game. Additionally, what is their flight speed? You should tell the player that,

Refraction Spoon - No question this would go into the hands of the Rogue. As a note, they will encourage the group to group together less often. Also, I would phrase it as When a AOE damage attack is made.... This way a spell like confusion doesn't get affected.

Vampire’s grip - This is powerful, very powerful (especially in the hands of a rogue who is rolling a ton of d6s when they are sneak attacking or a Barbarian who is raging and using GWM). However, I don't see much other healing in the party, so I get it.

Shield of heroic Memories - This is a cool RP item, but mechanically inferior to a simple +1 shield. Unless you are planning on give it out early or have it grow with the users, don't be surprised if it gets cast away.

Boomerang Mercenary’s Gear - I believe that a longsword, scimitar, and mace becomes an improvised weapon when thrown. So, it would be good to give it a thrown range so that there isn't a rule issue. Personally I would make the Hand Axe 30/90 and the rest 20/60. Also, I would define better what it means that they can hit on the way back. Does it make an attack roll against everyone it encounters on the way back? Does the PC choose who it attacks?

So, I see several items that would be best in the hands of the rogue. A few that are best in the hands of the barbarian, but very little custom made to fit into the warlock's wheelhouse. I would try to balance that a little bit better so one player doesn't feel left out of the cool custom items.

BerzerkerUnit
2018-07-03, 10:34 PM
Is it just me or is the Refraction Spoon just a death sentence 95% of the time...