PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Optimized Dart Thrower Help

d20CritFail
2018-07-01, 08:56 PM
As the title suggests, I basically wanna make the best dart player in every tavern I visit. I know I want to get to Master Thrower from CW, and Bloodstorm Blade. But lost on the build paths and feats, I haven't played much 3.5 as you probably know.

ViperMagnum357
2018-07-01, 09:43 PM
I would presume you want to be slinging with both hands? Start with the TWF/MWF handbooks, and remember you are trading away 50% of your crit range for double your range increment relative to daggers. Also maybe take a look at this post I made for MWF; very expensive unless you are gestalting and can stack LA/RHD on one side, but you can pick and choose.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23130077&postcount=2

liquidformat
2018-07-01, 11:22 PM
I would presume you want to be slinging with both hands? Start with the TWF/MWF handbooks, and remember you are trading away 50% of your crit range for double your range increment relative to daggers. Also maybe take a look at this post I made for MWF; very expensive unless you are gestalting and can stack LA/RHD on one side, but you can pick and choose.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23130077&postcount=2 Wouldn't starting with say human+ insectile be a better base than Thri-Kreen, it gives you 6 arms to start +4 dex +2 wis plus a few other benefits, for +2 LA.

ViperMagnum357
2018-07-01, 11:40 PM
Wouldn't starting with say human+ insectile be a better base than Thri-Kreen, it gives you 6 arms to start +4 dex +2 wis plus a few other benefits, for +2 LA.

The Insectile Template has been one of the most vigorously and thoroughly debated templates in regards to bonus limbs, and after years of searching I do not think I have seen any info from developers or even a consensus among players what to do with the extra limbs. In any case, Lesser Thri-kreen is only slightly more onerous; LA +1 and 2 Monstrous Humanoid RHD are not that much worse than LA +2 if buyoff is not available or impractical (like stacking more LA on top).

Finally, in high power campaigns where LA and RHD are less of an issue, the Insectile Template disqualifies you for the Obah-Blessed template, which is worth the LA and cannot be applied to something with more than 4 arms at the time it is taken (like the inherited Insectile Template).

liquidformat
2018-07-02, 07:34 AM
Oh ya keep forgetting that insectile turns you into an aberration. I also wasn't aware that insectile's additional arms was controversial, I guess I can see that since the statblock clearly gives you more attacks but the template says it doesn't give you more attacks. Though I have never had any issues with it I also haven't used it with other arm adding templates.

On a side note how would having 12 arms and two heads play with a totemist? It seems like you would have a strong argument to having space for multiple hand, throat, arm, brow, and shoulder chakras or at least be able to bind on those while still equipping items without the feat to do so.

16bearswutIdo
2018-07-02, 09:57 AM
Only on this forum can someone post about wanting to be a good dart thrower and get the advice to turn himself into an insect-man to optimize dart potential.

Climowitz
2018-07-02, 10:27 AM
Only on this forum can someone post about wanting to be a good dart thrower and get the advice to turn himself into an insect-man to optimize dart potential.

Yes absolutely, some plaugrounders are a**holes.

liquidformat
2018-07-02, 01:08 PM
Yes absolutely, some plaugrounders are a**holes.
How is suggesting away to optimize your number of attacks being an a-hole? The suggestion might be wildly overboard outside of gestalt but it was a potentially useful suggestion to add maybe one of those templates.

I mean OP already said he wants Master Thrower and Bloodstorm Blade, there isn't much else you can do besides that to optimize. The only other things I can think of is using two-weapon fighting or flurry and either using swordsage , rogue/swashbuckler, Factotem, or ranger/scout as base and picking up precise shot. Beyond that feat choice is a question of play style, are you running around throwing out a group of weapons at once then running again, probably can't be sneaking around and trying to be stealthy with those prcs. Also it is worth weighing options between darts, daggers, or shuriken; shuriken are probably the best as far as throwing as many as possible as quickly as possible. Daggers have the most prc support, using halfling as your race and possibly looking at whisperknife (races of the wild) and invisible blade (CW especially if your dm will let you ignore the errata) also make potent dagger throws. All and all darts are probably the worst choice for your weapon of choice outside of the thematic idea of throwing darts in a pub, though you could just change the game from darts to shurikens or daggers in the pup without loosing much thematically.

PunBlake
2018-07-02, 01:32 PM
Because no one else has said it yet, Strongheart Halfling (PGtF) + Halfling Rogue 1 (RotW) is a better starting point than human for a thrower build. Talk to your DM about whether tacking a template on that would disallow the racial substitution level. I agree with liquidformat on (basically) what to do if ToB isn't allowed: whisperknife + invisible blade is fine; daggers are better than darts. Heck, you could even go with the Talenta/Xen'drick Boomerang line of feats (RoE) and do better than darts.