PDA

View Full Version : Clarification

slexlollar89
2007-09-09, 04:38 PM
The Vow of Poverty does not allow you to wear armor, but does a warforged's composite plating violate this? I say no because it is a part of them, and therefore not a possession so much as an appendage.

I am currious though, about things like the samuri's ancestral daisho, and how things like this interract with VoP. I say a VoP samuri should be allowed to have, and even weild an ancestral weapon. What say you guys about special items and VoP?

Zincorium
2007-09-09, 04:54 PM
Vow of poverty would apply to a warforged character, the same as it would apply to a creature with a natural armor bonus; the warforged's armor is an inherent part, not a possession. That said, it does not stack with the AC bonus granted by vow of poverty.

The ancestral Daisho is a very expensive item, regardless of whether the character actually paid for it, and is magical in the samurai's hands. Vow of poverty would require the samurai to give it up. We're talking being so devout and ascetic that you gain magical powers, there is no 'well, I can kind of get away with it' excuse. Does it screw the samurai over? Only a little. Any simple weapon that they can own becomes effectively magical in a VoP character's hands.

slexlollar89
2007-09-09, 05:02 PM
I meant: are they allowed to posess such things. Also, I ruled that a VoP samuri can use the daisho, but either benifits from he feat, or improves the Daisho.

Zincorium
2007-09-09, 05:24 PM
I meant: are they allowed to posess such things. Also, I ruled that a VoP samuri can use the daisho, but either benifits from he feat, or improves the Daisho.

In the case of the warforged, there is no 'possess'. You don't own mithral body, you are made with mithril just like a normal person is made with meat and bone.

And you can rule whichever way you darn well please in the confines of your game, that doesn't mean we have to agree with your reasoning. I don't, you're specifically violating a sacred oath to never under any circumstances use a masterwork or magical weapon.

If you're not simply using the vow of poverty feat for cheese, you'd be willing to give up your Daisho as part of your vow.