PDA

View Full Version : Essay assistance

MandibleBones
2007-09-09, 05:17 PM
I'm taking an online history course this semester, and I have an essay on the Salem Witch Trials due tomorrow. I don't need help writing the paper per se - what I need is help figuring out what my prof is asking me to write about! I have no idea at all.

EDIT: Never mind; I've decided to drop the class and take it in a real classroom next semester. But seriously, folks - if I'm taking an online course, it's probably because I'm NOT a full-time student, right? So why would you assume I have time to read a small book every day to study for your class alone? /rant.

Here's the info we were given: Historiographical Paper No. One

Two centuries subsequent to Christopher Columbus’s arrival in the Western Hemisphere, tragedy unfolded on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean. The Salem witchcraft hysteria marked a challenge to the survival of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

The accusers resided in Puritan New England; a society of sexual repression, lack of women’s rights, no avenue for entertainment, sleep paralysis, and dietary deficiencies. The religious doctrine of predestination—the belief that God had already determined who was to be saved and who was to be damned—was an additional influence.

The forces of good vs. the forces of evil provided opportunities for revenge. The community of Salem, during the mid-1600s, divided itself into two geographical areas: Salem Town and Salem Village. Salem Town was richer, more prosperous, opened to the sea and worldly influence, seaport, and the home of the accused. Salem Village on the otherhand was poorer, enclosed and removed from worldly connections, agrarian, and the focus of the accusers.

Learning Outcomes:

· Summarize the events surrounding the Salem Witchcraft hysteria. (Comprehension)

· Apply the skills of reading and evaluating primary and secondary sources, writing and communication skills necessary to successfully complete an argumentative thesis statement, an annotated works cited, a historical abstract, and a historiographical paper. (Application)

· Differentiate between legal, political, theological, geographical, and social factors composing the events of the Salem Witchcraft hysteria. (Analysis)

· Organize research and facts (documented and undocumented) into a written, argumentative historiographical abstract of 150 words and historiographical paper of 750-1000 words. (Synthesis)

· Compare the relevance of the Salem Witchcraft events with current affairs surrounding legal, theological, social, and political imprisonment of individuals. (Evaluation)

· Differentiate between historical facts and historical interpretations but acknowledge that the two are related; that the facts the historian reports are selected and reflect therefore the historian’s judgment of what is most significant about the past. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Comprehension, Standard 2D)

· Appreciate historical perspectives—(a) describing the past on its own terms, through the eyes and experiences of those who were there, as revealed through their literature, diaries, letters, debates, arts, artifacts, and the like; (b) considering the historical context in which the event unfolded—the values, outlook, options, and contingencies of that time and place; and (c) avoiding “present-mindedness,” judging the past solely in terms of present-day norms and values. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Comprehension, Standard 2F)

· Consider multiple perspectives of various peoples in the past by demonstrating their differing motives, beliefs, interests, hopes, and fears. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Analysis and Interpretation, Standard 3B)

· Draw comparisons across eras and regions in order to define enduring issues as well as large-scale or long-term developments that transcend regional and temporal boundaries. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Analysis and Interpretation, Standard 3D)

· Distinguish between unsupported expressions of opinion and informed hypotheses grounded in historical evidence. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Analysis and Interpretation Standard 3E)

· Evaluate major debates among historians concerning alternative interpretations of the past. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Analysis and Interpretation Standard 3I)

· Formulate historical questions from encounters with historical documents, eyewitness accounts, letters, diaries, artifacts, photos, historical sites, art, architecture, and other records from the past. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Student Conducts Historical Research, Standard 4A)

· Identify the gaps in the available records and marshal contextual knowledge and perspectives of the time and place in order to elaborate imaginatively upon the evidence, fill in the gaps deductively, and construct a sound historical interpretation. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Student Conducts Historical Research, Standard 4D)

· Identify issues and problems in the past and analyze the interests, values, perspectives, and points of view of those involved in the situation. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Issues—Analysis and Decision-Making, Standard 5A)

· Evaluate the implementation of a decision by analyzing the interests it served; estimating the position, power, and priority of each player involved; assessing the ethical dimensions of the decision; and evaluating its costs and benefits from a variety of perspectives. (United States History Standards, Historical Thinking, Historical Issues—Analysis and Decision-Making, Standard 5F)

Writing Points:

Historians, since 1692, have studied and debated the causes, circumstances, and outcomes concerning the Salem witchcraft hysteria. These studies and debates have their foundation on psychology, biology, geography, economic autonomy, social connectedness, paganism, law, and religion.

Eve LaPlante, in her recent book American Jezebel: The Uncommon Life of Anne Hutchinson—The Woman Who Defied the Puritans (2004) wrote, “Witches were linked to licentiousness and female sexuality. They were seen as the cause of sudden, inexplicable, illnesses and deaths and various psychological disturbances. Anyone challenging the social order could be accused. According to the historian David Hall, witch was ‘a label people used to control or punish someone,’ and hunting witches reaffirmed the orthodox male authority whenever it was questioned . . .” (122)

Based on the numerous readings and sources address the following points: (1) the Salem witchcraft hysteria represented an early colonial instance of theology being interconnected with politics and social conformity, (2) the use of evidence became a source of guilt but also contention, and (3) the hysteria represented by the Salem foundations remain relevant in current affairs.

¨ Week 3: Final Paper
¨ Proper MLA format
¨ 750 to 1000 words
¨ Use 8 ½ x 11 standard white paper.
¨ Page number all pages
¨ Proofread the paper!
¨ Works Cited
¨ Minimum of 8 sources.

Online Resources are:
¨ The Salem Witchcraft Trials: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/salem/SALEM.htm
¨ Salem Witch Trials Documentary Archive: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/salem/witchcraft
¨ Salem Witch Trials Chronology: http://www.salemweb.com/memorial
¨ Salem Witch Trials Page: http://www.salemwitchtrials.com
¨ Transcripts of Legal Documents: http://etext.virginia.edu/salem/witchcraft/texts/transcripts.html
¨ Salem Witch Trials: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_salem/index.html

Argumentative Thesis Statement:

A thesis statement is a sentence that expresses the main ideas of the paper and answers the question or questions posed by the paper. It offers the reader a quick and easy to follow summary of what the paper will be discussing and what you as a writer are setting out to tell. It should cover only what you want to discuss in the paper, and be supported with specific evidence.

A good thesis statement will usually include the following four attributes: take on a subject upon which reasonable people could disagree, deal with a subject that can be adequately treated given the nature of the assignment, express one main idea, and assert your conclusions about a subject.

Remember that your thesis needs to show your conclusions about a subject. Your thesis should indicate the point of the discussion. The reader needs to be able to see that your paper has one main point. A thesis statement should show exactly what your paper will be about, and will help you keep your paper to a manageable topic.

The thesis statement should remain flexible until the paper is actually finished. It ought to be one of the last items that you review in the rewriting process. The statement frequently appears at or near the end of the first paragraph. Avoid announcing the thesis statement as if it were a thesis statement. In other words, avoid using phrases such as “The purpose of this paper is . . .” or “In this paper, I will attempt to . . .”

¨ A thesis statement is an assertion, not a statement of fact or an observation.
¨ A thesis takes a stand rather than announcing a subject.
¨ A thesis is the main idea, not the title. It must be a complete sentence that explains in some detail what you expect to write about.
¨ A thesis statement is narrow, rather than broad. If the thesis statement is sufficiently narrow, it can be fully supported.
¨ A thesis statement is specific rather than vague or general.
¨ A thesis statement has one main point rather than several main points. More than one point may be too difficult for the reader to understand and the writer to support.

Can anyone help me?

Hazkali
2007-09-11, 04:57 AM
It depends. Some online and postal courses do assume a fair amount of time; the Open University in the UK sometimes asks for up to about 18hrs a week for some of the larger courses (or so I understand, correct me if I'm wrong). It could be that you were expected to read a book a day.

MandibleBones
2007-09-11, 11:37 AM
*shrugs* A distinct possibility, but not one that was given to me when I registered for the class. All I was able to access was the first week of info - the future weeks were all locked and the syllabus was inaccurate.

I'd rather take it on-site anyway - at least I don't have to buy the textbooks again.