PDA

View Full Version : Aldaroth - Children of Ruin

Hypersmith
2018-07-02, 11:09 AM
Carrying a letter heavy with the command of one of the archmage, you all have made your way to Bralizzar, a town that thrives on trade between southern Tsal and the Navel. It skirts the desert that mars Fera. Contrary to what your maps show, the desert's influence seems to stretch shortly north of the city, and the weather is a consistent blistering heat. Those of you with your wits about you notice that there are fields of withered and struggling crops in the approach - there's clearly something wrong. The air is choked with dust, and the grittier parts of the town radiate the unfriendliness that comes with hard times and drought.

Those of you who arrive earlier than the others inquire about Peshmi, and are directed to a large estate in the eastern side of the city, overlooking gardens that seem to be holding out with the constant care of caretakers - and a little help from the copper pipes that deliver water straight to the plants. You're ushered inside and given a room. A stately older man informs you that you are to stay within the premises till the master returns. There's weight behind his words - you're expected to stay, though you're allowed to wander the mansion for the most part. The mansion is equipped with many modern amenities - the dumb waiters into your guests quarters are steam powered, and are equipped with their own little heater to keep meals hot. Each room has it's own attached bathroom, with a tap of hot water and a drain. The package from the archmage remains frustratingly sealed. Each of you takes notice of the three others who roam the wide halls, their towering ceilings keeping the space cool, but feeling incredibly empty.

A day or two after the last of you arrives, the boredom of the mansion is interrupted by a flurry of activity from the servants, and the butler who's been looking after you all bursts into your rooms, ushering you into a waiting room on the second floor, where you're finally left to awkwardly confront one another. The room is filled with fine trophies, mounted kills, gold and silver goblets. A window is open, letting in an odd amount of heat - a moment of silence passes before a halfling bursts into the room. He's dressed in a vest, and his shoes still bear the dust of the road. He looks you all over with a quick, dismissive glance.
"Another lot already? Well, might as well get this on with. Arnakulum."
The packages in your possession spring open. Inside each is a small earring. He begins to pace around the room, stopping briefly at each trophy and goblet to run a finger along it or admire it.
"Put those in. Or don't. Old Resonias thinks he can just dump you lot on me to test. Well, I'm not going to waste time on you unless you're worth it. Sorry." He hefts a very large gold goblet onto his shoulder. It's practically a club in his hands. And as casually as one opens a door, he flings the incredibly expensive goblet out the window, where it clatters onto the street below. It almost hits a passing goblin on the head, and after he recovers from his shock, he picks up the dented goblet with awe in his eyes, pulls off his shirt and wraps the gold in it, then begins running off towards a more crowded street.
Peshmi Rednails looks at you all expectantly. "Well? Hurry up and retrieve it. Lets see how competent you are."

Ground floor = first floor in this scenario. So you're about 20 feet up.

Jormengand
2018-07-02, 12:19 PM
Katarina looked startled as the halfling entered the room. This must be Master Representative Peshmi. She put in the earring, not bothering to question him. She was about to introduce herself when he decided to take it upon himself to hurl an expensive-looking goblet out onto the street. An idiotic test. Just my luck.

Katarina scowled, and looked out the window at the fleeing goblin. Immediately, a bundled strip of cloth and two loops of rope appeared in her hands, glowing ominously. She grinned, took a loop of rope in each hand, and leaped out of the window.

The parachute unfurled above Representative Ynnova as she held the ropes in her hands, and the moment she landed on the ground, she rushed towards the goblin with exceptional speed, abandoning the conjured parachute in favour of her rapier. "Stop, thief!", she yelled at the goblin, as though he were likely to obey.

Action to use Minor Conjuration, bonus action with cunning action to dash, movement 60 feet after the goblin, object manipulation to draw the rapier.

miinstrel
2018-07-02, 01:19 PM
https://img00.deviantart.net/552e/i/2014/247/a/9/elf_inquisitor_by_gerryarthur-d7xx1ex.jpg
Elamghar Mizzroveae (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1626043)
Lvl 3 Rogue Mastermind / Bard of Whispers

This was a game Elamghar knew well; nothing came free in the New Moon, and if someone didn't know you... well let's just say he had to prove himself to a number of individuals. But he had far more tricks up his sleeve now than in the infancy of his career. <At once,> he replies in the Halfling tongue with a respectful nod, ignoring the earring for the time being.

Not to be outdone by the resourceful woman, Elamghar looks out the window to gauge the situation. The front of the building. Perfect. With a sharp whistle he leaps at an angle out the window aiming for the sleek, black form of his steed below. The creature whinnies and rears up upon his arrival, leaning him closer to the leather strap connecting the creature to a post. With a snap his dagger cuts the leather and they're off in pursuit.

The pair catch up to the goblin easily enough, and swinging around in front of him, Elamghar mutters a few arcane words followed by, "Return the goblet to Master Peshmi in the mansion."

Acrobatics to reduce fall damage? [roll0] Luck (OOC): 14
[roll1]

Casting Suggestion on the goblin, WIS DC 13.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-02, 01:21 PM
Kore is startled by the sudden change in speed from nothing to all-out-action. But clearly gold is on the line here, so he merely shrugs, sticks the earring into his ear and rushes to the window, looking for the goblet. As he does, an eerie longbow, seemingly made of crackling dark energy and somewhat insubstantial, slides easily off his back into his hand.

Perception if needed?[roll0]

How much distance to the window, can I see the goblin, is he caught in her spell, and how far away is he?

"Does it break the rules if I kill him?" he asks with no hint of emotion.

Hypersmith
2018-07-02, 02:00 PM
Peshmi steps back from the window and shrugs as he watches you all launch into action. "I am in charge around these parts, can't just let murders go without a trial."

The goblin flicks Elamghar off, still running despite the pursuit. "Screw that! I'm gonna be rich!"

Barbarian MD
2018-07-02, 02:12 PM
That seems ambiguous, but Kore at least takes the hint. He slides an arrow into place, takes careful aim at the goblin's leg, and yells out a half-hearted, "Stop thief!"

With that, an arrow flies from the bow.

Attack: [roll0]
Precision attack maneuver, if attack roll <20 but >6: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Bonus: expeditious retreat, dash forward, and if possible get in front of it by 35 feet, but definitely more than 5 feet away from him.
Action surge, ready attack.

He, too, leaps from the window and dashes after the goblin, running around in front of it to block its path and surround it.

"Drop it or I'll shoot again!" The hobgoblin draws another arrow from his quiver in a flash, nocking and drawing back. In goblin he screams, "Drop it and be gone, or die, little worm!"

Irish Musician
2018-07-02, 05:50 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/39/fe/a7/39fea747085b5060bd23c1ec0dd9e463.jpg
Barden Vedarian, Cleric of the Raven Queen (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1626969)
Level 3 Monk/Cleric | AC:10 | HP: 24/24 | Ki: 3/3 | Slots: Lvl1: 4/4, Lvl 2: 2/2

Barden stands with the others, confused about why they are finally getting to see this very odd halfling. He pins the earring in his ear, trying to find room for it next to the many, many others that are already there, and waits for further instructions. The halfing then tosses a goblet out the window and motions for them to go after it.

Without word, Barden immediately jumps out of the window and tucks into a roll upon landing. He immediately pops up and runs the distance to the other side of the goblin. His sword is out as quickly as he appears and holds it at the goblin's throat. His voice is deep in timbre and slightly scratchy in quality. "You will be dead. Now drop the goblet." His eyes are cold and their blue matches this coldness. Like pure, dark ice.

Acrobatics to land alright [roll0], let me know what damage I need to put in there.

Standard and Move: Dash and move to get over to him, and around to the other side of him to cut off his and draw my sword to his throat.

Hypersmith
2018-07-02, 06:25 PM
The goblin takes an arrow through the leg and screams, dropping the shirt-wrapped goblet. He looks up the grim lot of you and sweats, half out of pain, half out of fear. "Fine! Take it, j-just let me go!" He'll hobble off into the nearest alleyway if you let him go, though he'll give Kore the stink eye before he disappears.

Upstairs, Peshmi has the decency to look mildly impressed. He raises his voice so you can hear him. "You lot are plucky, I'll give you that. Though I must question the wisdom of the three who jumped out of a window with no hesitation, and nothing to break the fall." He looks about at the rather stuffy room, then back to the four of you. "Put on that earring and twist the bead, then meet me at the front door. There's no time to waste."

You find that twisting the earring activates a method of short range communication between those wearing similar ones nearby. It allows you to communicate, even at a whisper. Quite the tool for the covert team.
Communicate with nearby earrings of hearing, works up to a range of 200 feet through most substances but lead. Can be twisted to turn the communication on or off.

Peshmi steps out of the room, leaving Kore alone. For the trio outside, a butler is ready and expecting the goblet. He seems to be in terrible anguish over it's dent, and will be completely horrified if you bring it back with the goblin's shirt still wrapped around it. He will then guide you to a different sitting room. The atmosphere here is quite different. The walls are lined with bookshelves, and there a few comfortable couches, with a single long table dominating the center of the room. Peshmi is standing back, looking at a book on a higher (head level for most of you) shelf. It floats gently down to him, he takes a closer look, then deposits it again with whatever form of telekinesis. He doesn't acknowledge your presences. It's uncannily quiet.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-02, 06:56 PM
Kore casually walks to the little goblin. As he does, the bow in his hands warps and shifts, forming into a greatsword that he carelessly props on one shoulder. It is made of the same eerie substance as the bow. He pats the goblin down for a coin purse, and if he finds one tears it away from him, fishes out a single coin, and flips the coin back to the goblin. "For yer trouble," he says with a smirk.

He would then pocket the purse and walk away, his heavy armor clanking loudly in the stunned silence of the streets as people begin to return to their routines.

Joining the others in the library, he activates his own earring as instructed and waits, letting the sword disappear in a puff of mist from his hand. He slouches on one of the couches and waits.

miinstrel
2018-07-02, 08:27 PM
https://img00.deviantart.net/552e/i/2014/247/a/9/elf_inquisitor_by_gerryarthur-d7xx1ex.jpg

Elamghar hops down from his horse as the goblin gives up the goods, narrowing his eyes at the back of Kore's head as he robs the fellow and walks away. The Archmage needs all walks, it seems...

He scoops up the goblet and empties it out of the shirt, just to be sure. The shirt he drops on the ground at the goblin's feet.

As he walks back toward the manor he tosses the goblet gently to Katarina. "Neat trick," he compliments. Over his shoulder he whistles at his horse, "Come along, Nadir."

Coming up alongside Kore he commends, "Pretty nice shot. And I adore the portability of the bow." As he talks his hand slides into the hobgoblin's belt, stripping out the pouch the fellow just took and lobbing it back to the goblin. The bloke was an unwitting participant in Peshmi's little game. He didn't deserve his entire life to be turned upside down on their account.

Re-hitching the stallion to a post, the half-drow ventures inside with the others.

Sleight of Hand to snag the pouch from Kore: [roll0]

In the library Elamghar casually browses the titles nearest him on the wall as they wait for their impatient host to continue. You can learn a lot about a person by the books they keep.

Irish Musician
2018-07-02, 10:14 PM
Barden Vedarian, Cleric of the Raven Queen (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1626969)
Level 3 Monk/Cleric | AC:16 | HP: 24/24 | Ki: 3/3 | Slots: Lvl1: 4/4, Lvl 2: 2/2

Barden sheaths his sword, passing right by the wounded goblin and heading back into the house. The goblet was back and the mission was completed. As he walks back, he keeps his eyes on Elamghar as he does. There was something about the elf that wasn't quite right. Barden was somewhat keen at seeing differences in elves, as his people had been away from his fey and material plane cousins for long enough. This was....different, though. There was something not quite right about this elf. Barden's instincts told him to be wary of this one.

Once in the library, Barden, too, activates his earring and waits for further instructions.

Jormengand
2018-07-03, 05:44 AM
Katarina caught the goblet as it was tossed to her by Elamghar. "The ability to make a copy of anything you've seen is pretty useful." She tossed the goblet back, only it wasn't the goblet: it glowed ominously and didn't have a dent in. "Only one at a time, it glows suspiciously, and there are limits on the duration, but still useful." She grinned, and the glowing copy was in her hands again - or rather, she made a new one, and the old one faded to nothing. "Elseway mine were to be quethin' yon dubbly gabbler on the choomly demi." Otherwise, I'd give this copy of the goblet to that uptight halfling. Katarina wasn't a massive fan of Thieves' Cant, but it was good fun on occasion. She handed both cups to the - no doubt baffled - butler, and followed him to where Peshmi was engaging in some reading.

She waited just long enough to let him put the book back, then approached him impatiently and extended a hand, as though he were likely to shake it.

"Master Representative Rednails. I would say it's a pleasure to meet you, but we both know that's not true. I, as you may know, am Representative Ynnova. As you may not know, I am here on behalf of Master Artificer Ryell and Administrator Jordian. Master Archmage Voth also sends his regards. As you almost certainly know, I am not here to be messed around with trivial challenges, nor an I here to wait around for you to deign to acknowledge me.

On this basis, I both formally and informally request that you tell us what in the Nine Hells is going on, preferably some time before those of us who haven't heard of a parachute kill themselves trying to impress you! Why were we called to assist you? Why am I here? And what, specifically, do you actually need us to do?"

One-Eye hooted at Peshmi and made a clawing motion in the air. Stupid familiars, getting to make all the physical threats of violence.

One-Eye helps!
Katarina tries to intimidate this guy and maybe take him down a peg: [roll0]

Barbarian MD
2018-07-03, 05:48 AM
From his languid repose on the couch, Kore raises an eyebrow at the outburst but says nothing. Instead, he removes tobacco and paper from a pouch and begins to roll a cigarette.

Hypersmith
2018-07-03, 08:02 AM
Peshmi listens to Katarina with straight face, then takes her hand and shakes it. A small frown finds it's way onto his features.
"Patience will serve you well representative, especially once you figure out titles are easily amassed and more easily thrown about. If the matter were so simple I could simply blab about it to the first violence prone squad to make their way here, it would have been long since resolved. Sit." There's a sharp edge of command in his tone. It seems Peshmi isn't easily shaken, especially not within the comfort of his own home. He releases Katarina's hand and a chair pulls itself away from the table with a gesture from him, turning to face the couch. He takes a seat in it and frowns over you all.

"I'm not one for formality, as the entire court of Fera could tell you. So I'll give it to you straight. Archmage Tori is worried about a series of events taking place across the world. Some he is seeing to himself, some he is attempting to convince the sovereigns of our nations to see to, and some have yet to come, but trouble his visions of the future. He knows he can't be everywhere at once, and so he wants to make sure there are pockets of people with competency and exceptional skill around the world. He sends them to people he trusts to ensure he isn't handing the reins of influence and power to complete morons, and then sets them out to do tasks he cannot involve himself in. What you four are meant to solve is this drought. The source is without a doubt the desert to the north, but its growth is completely unnatural. It's spreading directly southwest, towards the most fertile lands known. The breadbasket of this world, so to speak. If it spreads continually, many will starve in the famine that will result. Why isn't the Tori taking care of this himself? He's sworn to impartiality. And damn bureaucracy means he can't stop the growth because it would be interfering with Fera and giving them an unfair advantage. Stupid, but that's the way things are run. It's not like he could take on the issue alone anyway. He's not the most powerful mage around, he's mostly an extraordinary diviner. Mostly.

He leans back in his seat and crosses a leg, continuing to frown at you all.

"He doesn't want to control you mind. Ynnova, much as he and Voth are at odds, he probably isn't trying to get at him through you. He's had more than a handful of years to do that already. Those two like to ignore one another. The only choice I really get is to see if you're even worth sending, which I must admit you probably are. The last group he sent me took twenty minutes to get the goblet back, and I sent them into the desert. They're probably dead, it's been a while.

His expression turns slightly thoughtful, though the annoyed overtone remains.

"What that means for me is that I need to accept you all under my wing and point you in the direction of the desert. What it means for you is that you get fame, some royal reward - probably a minor title, maybe some land, and the expectation that you'll help curb such threats in the future. If you succeed. As for why you four exactly? Probably Tori meddling in fate. One of you is gonna marry someone important, or become a general, or develop a new technology, etcetera. Maybe all four of you. He's adamant on never telling me what's going on in his mind. It also means you probably can't escape whatever is coming for you at this point."

He stands up with a sigh.

"Do with that info what you will. You can leave, I'm not holding you prisoner. Though I would appreciate if you did find out what's happening in the desert exactly. It's never a bad idea to get on the good side of nobility. I'd advise you four to stick together though. That goblin probably has friends, and any one of you alone won't last too long."

miinstrel
2018-07-03, 08:24 AM

Elamghar thought he recognized a certain swagger to Katarina's movements suggesting membership in their semi-private club. "Yeh, nine hezzers inna BRIGHT ol' age dubbin' felt a teensy flensination," he replies to the consternation of anyone listening in.
Wise, best to not be stealing from our patron... at least not yet.

With a comically wide eyed 'oh ****' look to Barden, Elamghar watches Peshmi's repsonse with interest. For being a representative of such a bureaucratic mess as a mage guild he expected Katarina to have a bit more... tact. A hand in his pocket twists a small copper wire resting there and Katarina hears a whispered voice in her mind say "Very smooth," with a slight hint of mockery.

The half-drow takes a few steps to the table, his walking stick clacking against the floor every other step and echoing through the large room. With a very slight bow he introduces himself, "Elamghar of house Mizzroveae at your service." Even despite the plentiful scandals, he was loyal to his family line. "My lord, how long has the desert been expanding like this? Does it have a history of... shall we say, causing problems?"

Hypersmith
2018-07-03, 09:36 AM
Peshmi nods to Elamghar. "Don't call me lord, it's the one title I can't stand. Besides the fact the desert seems contradictory to normal land patterns, as it mars what should by all logical accounts be more farmland, it hasn't given us much issue before. Bandits using it as shelter has been the previous biggest issue. It is one of the few areas that predates our histories left in the world however. No one is knows who built the obelisks you'll occasionally see, or what purpose they serve."

Jormengand
2018-07-03, 09:54 AM
Katarina did not sit, instead choosing to listen to Peshmi while still standing.

"Or develop new technology, or whatever."
Ha, the look on Ryell's face if I...

"Any one of you won't last long."
Watch me, jackass.

"Very smooth."
Katarina put a hand over her mouth as if lost in thought. "Mine weren't to be a choom-snout. Nimmy's 'speekfa' says insuth 'sharpstop' for tails-odds. Mine weren't insuth to benny a speakfa. Takedatone's usu a benny, mind." It's not my style to suck up to people. The title "Representative" really means "Assassin" about 50% of the time. It's not actually my job to be a good diplomat. Raising my voice normally works, though. The inherent ambiguity of thieves' cant made it so that she could just as well have meant 'I'm wouldn't have been a sycophant. The name 'diplomat' really means 'murder' exactly half the time. I'm not a good representative. Raising your voice is usually good, you understand?', but she assumed the message was clear enough without spending several times as long being exact about what she meant.

"Does the Archmage, in his infinite wisdom, have any actual clue what's causing this, beyond "Something in a desert a couple of dozen times the size of a city and growing"? Or are we to go in blind to something that has already claimed dozens of lives without the first clue what we're looking for?" Her tone said clearly that she already knew the answer.

Hypersmith
2018-07-03, 10:15 AM
Peshmi drums his fingers on the armrest of his chair. "I'm sorry I don't know more, but I have a desert friend who might. They're a native, though they tend to be more than little elusive. Haven't spoken to them in a number of years. They're a desert spirit. Runs a little oasis about twenty miles east of the large obelisk northeast of here. If you aren't familiar with the desert, keep an eye out on the birds. They'll tend to be circling about the water, so it's easy to spot. It's as good a spot to start as any."

Jormengand
2018-07-03, 10:28 AM
Katarina nodded. "It's a lead at least. More than I dared hope for."

20 miles east was about six hours' walk. It was less if you were a horse, and Katarina knew three people with horses. She addressed them. "All right, as far as I'm concerned that's a start, and a start's enough to go on. I suggest that we find this person, like, now." She turned to Peshmi. "What's this friend's name, and enough of a description to find them?"

Hypersmith
2018-07-03, 10:38 AM
"Imsim. And you'll need to find the oasis east of the black obelisk - it's a known landmark around these parts. They live in a house by it. Be careful around them. They're fey in nature, so follow all the etiquette they ask you to, and you should be fine."

Jormengand
2018-07-03, 02:09 PM
"Well, that's a decent start. I say we get a move on, as in go now, unless any of you three has a burning desire to do something else here and for some reason hasn't done so already." She grinned. "Impatience can be a virtue too, see."

Barbarian MD
2018-07-03, 05:00 PM
"We're going to need water, a lot of it, for ourselves and the horses. I need more water skins."

((What time is it?))

miinstrel
2018-07-03, 05:17 PM

Elamghar keeps his eyes attentive on Peshmi as Katarina responds in his mind. A mage-guild assassin... well, well how decidedly un-beaurocratic. What game are you playing, Archmage? he ponders.

"I suppose there will be plenty of time to get to know each other on the road, so no complaints from me. I would like to do just a touch of shopping first if you all don't mind - no more than an hour I think. Which gives whomever of you are ride-less time to find a suitable mount?" I know I'm certainly not keen on trudging through the sand on foot." Despite the mild haughtiness he seems to be in good spirits about the whole thing.

"When did the desert's expansion begin?" he inquires.

"And Master Peshmi, before we go I wonder if you might have a book I could borrow on the beautiful flora and fauna of the Feran forests? An illustrated volume would be wonderful if that's an option. Or a history of the region? I understand it's a risk seeing as you've lost a number of folks to the desert already so nothing irreplaceable, just some light reading for the road." There's no expectation of a particular response in his request, but he stands with eyebrows hopefully raised. "You did say we seem to have promise. Such a gesture would go far toward assuring us we have a reasonable chance of returning compared to previous candidates."
In case you want a Persuasion: [roll0]

Hypersmith
2018-07-03, 05:50 PM
'Water is an excellent idea for the desert, yes." He notes dryly.

"We first noticed the desert expanding about two months back. It's only in the last month that the patterns and it's aggressiveness was noted. As for taking books from my library... I can afford the book on fauna. But history books are more expensive. You can have it if you return. Make it the first book in your own library." He waves a hand, and a volume from a lower shelf in one of the corners of the room floats towards Elamghar. "Deep roots. -Fera and farming."

It is morning atm. Around 10am.
For the fauna book, I don't feel like documenting a bunch of trees, so I'll post a general breakdown of what the book tells you in OOC thread later. And yes, it is illustrated. That was also a good moment for a persuasion check.

miinstrel
2018-07-04, 08:29 AM

"This will do just fine, thank you," Elamghar replies, accepting the book from the air and tucking it into his pack. "Well then, I suppose we ought get moving? Let's meet at the front door in an hour after gathering some supplies." If there is no objection, Elamghar gives a respectful nod of the head to Peshmi before departing, the regular *clack...clack...* of his cane marshaling the others toward the door.

Once outside, Elamghar searches for two things. First, he finds a florist and selects a beautiful, and hopefully somewhat rare (at least for this region), annually blossoming flower with dirt in a pot or canvas sack so it can be transplanted.
Second, as Kore implied, a merchant with water skins and buys... a lot.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-05, 09:43 AM
The hobgoblin leaves the building, wandering to and fro, taking it easy as he peruses the marketplaces. He has reconjured his sword, but keeps it in a sling on his back to quiet suspicion and yet maintain some degree of appearing ominous.

In the end, he doesn't have much to show for his trouble. When the others return, they find Kore lounging in the shade, atop two barrels of water. A feed bag is propped next to them. His horse is loosely tied to one of the arch mage's fence posts. His hat is pulled down low over his eyes, and he might have been sleeping, though it's hard to tell.

Taking a short rest, if that's okay.

1) Are potions of healing available yet?
2) Is there such a thing as masterwork tinkers' tools?

Purchases:
Two barrels of water. 4 gp.
5 water skins. 1 gp.
100 pounds of animal feed (10 days). 5 sp.
20 days' rations. 10 gp.

Jormengand
2018-07-05, 02:56 PM
Katarina frowned. "An hour. But no more."

She left, then, and went to have a look around the town and acquaint herself with anything new that had appeared in town since she'd arrived. As a Representative, she had travelled far and seen much, but it was always best to make sure she had seen as many different items as possible. She smiled, remembering the night she had managed to get a close look at some fireworks before a firework festival: she'd been creating her own for hours after that. And the stunt with the parachute: how she could never have pulled that off if she hadn't seen one before.

She thought back to the others, off buying their water. She grinned as she pulled from nowhere a glowing flask, and took a sip of the contents. People around her stared, but she didn't care. At worst, news of the girl with the weird glowing bottle could get back to the goblin and his friends and they might try to give her a hard time. Let them try.

Irish Musician
2018-07-06, 09:37 AM
Level 3 Monk/Cleric | AC:16 | HP: 24/24 | Ki: 3/3 | Slots: Lvl1: 4/4, Lvl 2: 2/2

Barden sat quiet, as he tended to be, just listened to the banter back and forth. So it's to be thes desert, is it? Very well. Barden was not worried about surviving the desert. His wanderings had taught him how to forage for food and water. If there was food and water to be had, he couod find it. You just need to know where to look.

Barden nods his head before the others leave, "I will do this thing." He then goes outside and waits for the others, taking out his whetstone and sharpening his sword. Barden was always ready to leave.

miinstrel
2018-07-06, 09:54 AM

With the full weight of the water and feed upon his horse, Elamghar realizes there's no way the beast can carry him as well... an unfortunate circumstance. He wasn't keen on getting sand in his boots, but there seemed to be little other option.
Returning to the manor, Elamghar hitches his horse and sits down next to the two solemn souls on the bench. "You've a penchant for piercings it seems," he comments to Barden. "Would you mind?" he holds out the earring they all just received and turns his head indicating a lack of holes in which to put it. "No... the other side actually," he says quickly whipping his head the other direction. Then one more time, "No I was right the first time. Ready." He squints his eye, bracing for the pinching pain.

Jormengand
2018-07-06, 11:21 AM
Katarina came back exactly one hour after she had left, and was glad to see the others mostly ready to leave. "All right, are we all ready? Got our supplies, said our prayers, tucked our little siblings into bed, and all that?"

Barbarian MD
2018-07-06, 05:28 PM
As the others gather, Kore greets them casually but maintains his relaxed pose on the barrels. In answer to Katarina's question, however, he responds, "Hang on a few minutes. I need to take a @#$& before we ride across the desert for hours but I couldn't just walk away from my barrels earlier," and walks into the house, looking for what must be a very nice toilet. After a perhaps awkward amount of time, he rejoins the group without apology.

He grins. "Ready."

He comes back in 10-15(?) minutes, concluding a Short Rest.

Irish Musician
2018-07-07, 11:41 AM

One eyebrow, with a ring through it, raises as Barden waits for the "elf" to get ready. With a swift hand, Garden jabs the earring through Elamghar's ear, oddly with not as much pain as he was expecting. Barden nods to the elf, and studies him for a moment, "My eyes can't seem to place your heritage. You skin says one thing, but your hair and eyes say another...."

miinstrel
2018-07-07, 04:34 PM

As Barden pulls their hands back Elamghar reaches up to feel and activate his new accessory, drawing a small mirror from his pack to view it in his peripheral vision. "Not bad, almost matches the jacket even, though I'd call this more cherry than scarlet," he comments.

"In truth I'm surprised you even noticed the hair and eyes, most of our brethren don't pay either any mind and judge solely based on the skin... which has its advantages at times. Though you're a bit pale for a Drow yourself," he shoots back, a cocked eyebrow contorting the barely visible tattoos across his brow. "Vesgorat is home for me. And you, Dakeme perhaps? A shame we didn't meet on the road."

Jormengand
2018-07-08, 03:13 AM
"Just what I needed, more elves comparing family ancestries." Katarina would have sworn that Master Archmage Voth got more respect for being related to some mythical elven hero than for his title or his power. "Shall we do that thing that humans and elves and hobgoblins do with their legs and movement? As in, towards the place we're going, as in now, please?"

Katarina started walking, not taking much notice of whether or not the others were following. They would catch up - they'd have to, if they wanted to maintain the most competent member of their little group (even if she did say so herself).

Barbarian MD
2018-07-08, 03:15 AM
"You're walking? No, no, you'll slow us down. Take the horse."

Jormengand
2018-07-08, 03:21 AM
"You're walking? No, no, you'll slow us down. Take the horse."

Katarina smirked. "Don't mind if I do." She took the horse and, with a decent amount of skill for someone who preferred to travel on foot, mounted herself onto it. "Thanks, friend," she said, not insincerely.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-08, 03:38 AM
"If everybody's ready, let move out."

He walks out into a clear area in the street and turns back around to face the group. Then, with an absolutely enormous $#+@-eating grin on his face, he snaps his fingers.

There is an enormous banging and chuffing noise, as a strange mechanical abomination rolls up the street as if from nowhere directly behind him. It seems to be powered by steam, and there is an innumberable number of moving parts doing only gods-knew what. The whole thing rattles and shakes as if it might explode at any moment.

Without a word, Kore loads up his two barrels and other supplies into the back and actually climbs on top of the contraption. The hobgoblin takes a pair of goggles that are dangling from a mirror that seems to be pointing towards the rear of the thing, slides them over his face, and sits down on a chair. In front of him is a large wheel, which he takes with both hands.

He shouts over the din, "Let's go!" and puts his steam car into gear with a clack.

For those curious, this is "find vehicle" from UA. It seats 4, has a move of 60, and can carry 300 pounds of additional weight. Lasts 8 hours. You're welcome to ditch your horses and ride, or tie them along and have them follow behind us.

There is a 2 seat variant that's faster, and a 1 person version that's faster still.

miinstrel
2018-07-08, 08:37 AM

"I'd share my human line with you if I knew it," Elamghar offers, knowing full well that wasn't what she meant in the slightest.

As the car rolls into existence from nowhere the half-Drow just stares for a moment. "It's... beautiful..." Elamghar gawks. Far more advanced than the simple steamworks he tried to implement back in Vesgorat. "Did you study in Navel? How'd you learn to produce such advanced concepts with a snap of the fingers? Gods i love magic... There's a whole engine in here, that's amazing!" Tying his horse to the rear bumper, Elamghar hops in to the front passenger seat and dips his head below deck, intimately inspecting the workings of the car as they ride northeast toward the obelisk.

Irish Musician
2018-07-08, 09:22 AM

It was Barden's turn to crack the tiniest of smirks. "That is what most guess, or some elf from a barbaric tribe, or a demon. I've been called many things. None of it correct. I am a Shader-Kai of the Shadowfel, devotee of the Raven Queen, her cleric and servant in the material plane."

Katrina made her fussy declaration, amd then started marching off, but Barden did not move. If she wanted to march alone, so be it. He cared not.

The contraption that came clunking into sight was....very odd. Barden did not like it and stayed away from it. Instead he put away his Whitestone, straped his sword to his hip, and mounted his horse. He unstrapped his long bow from his saddle and put hos quiver on his back. He'd be prepared for anything on the road.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-11, 01:24 PM
To all of Elamghar's questions, Kore simply smiles and winks. He revs the engine and starts driving.

Hypersmith
2018-07-11, 04:57 PM
Between the car and the horses, the four of you make your way out of the north gate, drawing some attention from a few squealing kids who chase your vehicle for a few steps before being outpaced, then through into the heat outside, bearing northeast, off the commercial roads. The brush is dominated by waxy bushes and thin, scraggly fauna, and the father you get, the thinner the soil becomes. Eventually, it gives away to rough sand, laying atop a layer of rocky dirt. This dry mixture continues to trend towards its sandy side, and as the hours roll by and the sun peaks, the heat begins to set in. For those of you in the car, the seats feel unpleasantly warm, especially where the sun beats down on them unhindered by your behinds. For those of you on horses, your legs prickle with the mixture of fatigue, sweat, and heat. Your water skins quickly become your best friends.

Eventually, you crest a last hill. The ground begins to slope downwards, and you can see remarkably far. The sky is clear, the sun is bright, and the scar of the Fera stretches out before you, it's previous marker clear - the black obelisk is striking against the yellow grounds that surround it, but it is only a few miles away. You continue your march. The thicker sand underneath the vehicle causes it to slip occasionally, but it's hardly noticeable. The same goes for the horses. They work harder to cover the same amount of ground. As you near the obelisk, you realize how huge it really is, standing at what looks to be about 200 feet. This close up, it' clear that it isn't truly black - the stone seems to be a dark Gneiss, with the majority of the coloration dark, but flecked with greys and whites. There is no sign of what it was ever built for, or who built it. It's been about 5 hours, and it is mid afternoon. You face eastwards, with the sun to your backs.

Another twenty miles of travel to go till you reach the oasis. You still have about 4 hours of daylight remaining, so if you continue, you'll expect to be in the area right around dusk. If you push yourself for this last leg, you can make it with time to spare. You suspect that it'll be harder to spot any circling birds to indicate water the darker it gets.

Wanna set fast pace to get there faster, or normal to get there at dusk?

miinstrel
2018-07-11, 09:52 PM

As they pull to a stop in the welcome shade of the obelisk's eastern side, Elamghar hops out the side of the car and stretches his stiff legs. "For a marvel of engineering you'd think the seats would be more plush," he teases mid-lunge with his hands on his hips. "Arriving at dusk, our shadows wreathed in fire as the sun sets behind us... sounds positively picturesque, don't you think? *I* would certainly be interested in a dialogue with someone who knew how to make an entrance like that. Hopefully our fey friend feels the same.

Just a couple minutes to break and then onward?" he suggests.

As the group pauses for a moment to water the horses and loosen the muscles, Elamghar saunters toward the base of the obelisk. Looking up at its powerful frame from just a few feet away strained his neck... but his curiosity lie much further down than its lofty peak. Running his fingers along the ancient stone, Elamghar takes a quick look for any chalk or carved messages around its base - perhaps tidbits of knowledge from those who came before... or about those who never came back. "What secrets do you hold?" he asks of the rock as his fingers bobble along its rough exterior.

Investigation if desired: [roll0]

Barbarian MD
2018-07-11, 10:36 PM
Pulling to a stop at the obelisk, Kore lifts his goggles off his face and admires the impressive structure. It appears to be a marvel of engineering.

Perception [roll0]
Insight or knowledge [roll1]

Jormengand
2018-07-12, 06:45 PM
Katarina glowed ominously, especially around her brow and back, as she sweated out conjured water. "Well, that's certainly a huge obelisk. Let's have a look at you, shall we."

She put her hands on the stone, and started chanting the first few words of a ritual. "Tiyen Eivi Ariess! Enii Essenu!" She then pulled back from the stone, not intending to complete the ritual. Then, she had a look around the base of the obelisk, and also tried to have a look at it, examining it carefully.

Starts attempting to cast Unseen Servant as a ritual using the obelisk as a focus. Presumably, you know whether you're casting a spell or just speaking mumbo jumbo and waving your arms around, so essentially she's checking to see if the obelisk is, or at least if it can be, an arcane focus.

Irrespective, attempts [roll0] Perception and [roll1] whatever INT skill is relevant. One-eye helps look around, and if able helps with the int skill, for advantage [roll2] and [roll3]

Irish Musician
2018-07-13, 08:23 AM

Barden looked up at the Obelisk, once they stopped. He'd seen it before, in his travels, but never really paid it any mind. It was interesting, to be sure, but it never really spoke to him before, so he kind of just ignored it. Instead, he scrounged for food and water, even the desert had them if you knew where to look.

Wanderer. You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Hypersmith
2018-07-13, 02:16 PM
While you all take a brief break in the shade of the obelisk and pursue your interests, you happen across a few interesting things.

Your familiarity with finding water and food in odd places is finding the desert itself a strangely unforgiving place. You are forced to backtrack a bit into land a bit more along the lines of scrub to find water and food for the day. Something you notice when checking the sands of the desert is that they are thoroughly unnatural. It isn't formed of natural soil erosion - rather, it's closer to the sands you'd find on the beach, strangely fine.

Unfortunately, the obelisk only appears to be a big building. Katarina don't seem to be able to channel her magic through it, and her familiar, even in the air, doesn't spot anything of note. Perhaps the speckled surface is confusing their normally sharp eyes?

You run your fingers over the surface of the stone, their tips accustomed to the fine tuning and playing of instruments. You pick out a pattern that you can't really see, despite feeling that the worn down letters that are engraved in the stone.
The s.. .. R.in is ....ed ..... .h.y eat away .. all t..t g.ve. life, bringing fam... ... ....lence. Do .ot wa.der ....per.

miinstrel
2018-07-13, 02:50 PM

Elamghar stands at one side of the obelisk, feeling its side for a strangely long time. He closes his eyes and follows the sensation of dimpled stone to create a picture in his mind's eye. Definitely not Elvish. Draconic? No, too angular... Dwarvish alphabet? Hmm but what dialect... Feels... halting and sharp... but this isn't Orcish. Damn, why didn't I take Dwarvish in school? 'It's a root language, Elamghar - Orcish will be so much easier if you learn Dwarvish first'... shut up, mother.

Frustrated at the lost translation Elamghar gives up and returns to the car. "I think Dwarves built it," he says, referring back to the obelisk. "There's an inscription near the base if anyone cares, but I can't read it. Seems odd though... I didn't think Dwarves settled this far across the Middling."

Barbarian MD
2018-07-13, 10:49 PM
Kore shrugs. "We're wasting daylight!"

He puts the goggles back down and shifts into gear again.

As far as speed goes, I vote for the slower speed if it puts us there before dark.

Hypersmith
2018-07-18, 06:59 AM
As you all meet up again and start moving out, the hours bend quickly before you. You quickly come to learn that though the sun is at it's worst at noon, it's heat is at it's most intense in the afternoon. Even the wind that whistles around you is hot and dry, bringing little relief for burning necks and backs. You're well into the desert now, with it's sands spreading all around you.

It's Owl-eye who alerts you to the sight of other birds, wheeling off farther north than you were headed. It's a simple course correction before you find what you were looking for. Spreading before you is an oasis of palm trees, small plants, and clear water. Birds wheel overhead and wade along the reedy banks of the pond. A small tomb stands at the edge of the greenery. A second small building is nestled among the palms, on the opposite side of the oasis. The tomb appears to be in better shape than the small building. As far as you can see, you have the oasis to yourselves.
The large pool of clear, cool water is shaded by date palms and ringed by reeds that sway gently in the breeze. You even see a few small fish darting among the reeds and stones, implying that this restful pool never dries out—a marvelous thing in this arid land. The water is shallow around the edges, but it grows deep enough that you can't see what hides underneath the surface towards the center.

A tomb stands among the palm trees. Such structures are rare to find in the vast expanse of the desert. This one appears quite new; the dome is covered in clean, white plaster, and the doorway is edged with bright, unchipped paint. The small structure has no door, only an open doorway. As you pass by it, you get a good look inside-
Two stone sarcophagi dominate the room: one sealed, one standing open and unused. More alarming is the young woman crouching fearfully in the corner, where she is shackled to the wall. Even her ragged clothing, malnutrition, and sand flea bites can’t hide the woman’s beauty and courtly bearing.

This walled compound is small—literally. It appears it was built for a family of halflings or creatures of a similar size. Although the walls are solid, the plaster has fallen away in many places. The wooden main gate is unbarred and slightly ajar.
Peering inside gives you a glance of tidy paving stones kept clear of sand, and a shaded veranda with cool, purple tiles and two benches - one human sized, appearing huge in the surroundings, and the other halfling sized, appearing normal given the size of everything else.

As the others gawk or hurry towards the water, the owl notices that large swaths of land near the oasis are not quite as they appear - the moisture is seeping into portions of the ground, turning it into a quicksand that would be unpleasant to step in at best.

Feel free to explore or interact with whatever.
Here's a link to the area map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WrTDcr5_R6qi7XahLC9DAjCbEtoLp-C64hu3hn1uiPA/edit?usp=sharing)

Barbarian MD
2018-07-18, 08:21 AM
Kore brings the car to a rolling stop as they crest the rise, watching for several minutes before rolling in slowly and eventually getting out on foot. He takes his time, working his way towards the tomb--and then he sees through the open door.

He says and does nothing at first, merely watching impassively from a distance, a frown on his face. He takes a long swig from his waterskin before conjuring his bow. Still a good 60 feet away, he shouts.

"You in there! What's going on?"

Hypersmith
2018-07-18, 12:13 PM
The woman's head perks up at the sound of Kord's voice, a look of relief quickly crumples into sobs. "Thank goodness, help at last! I'm a prisoner of that fey thing, I-I can't bear it any more..." The chains that bind her to the wall clank as she pulls against them, and she winces.

Irish Musician
2018-07-18, 12:57 PM

Barden doesn't run towards the oasis at first, either, hanging back with Kore for a moment. He wasn't one to rush into a situation, really, and the desert being fairly unforgiving, he didn't want to give it any excuse to swallow him up. As soon as Kore conjures his crossbow, Barden, too, knocks and arrow and holds it at the ready.

He isn't sure what to make of the woman chained up to the wall, but also does not seem too concerned about freeing the woman, but more concerned about upsetting the fey spirit that lives here. "We are here seeking an audience with Imsim, do you know where they are?" Barden yells across to the woman, not wanting to overstep his bounds if the fey is around. He looks to Kore, "We should be wary not to upset the owner here. The Fey can be temperamental and dangerous if offended. We do not want to be on the other end of that argument." Barden, being somewhat fey himself, knows how chaotic fey creatures can be. It is only their nature, but that doesn't mean you have to poke the badger.

miinstrel
2018-07-18, 12:59 PM

Elamghar hops out of the car and wanders toward the multitude of colors in the oasis, a welcome sight after so much yellow sand. His eyes are particularly interested in lilies, hoping he doesn't see the variety he brought along already in bloom here.

Kore's announcement catches his attention as does the shadowed woman's reply. "Wait!" he commands in a stage whisper before anyone releases the woman. "We're here for information, right? We should at least talk to our host before we go disturbing things and releasing prisoners. If she survived this long she'll be fine a few more minutes."

A prisoner suggested this fey may not be the most friendly of folks... or perhaps the social courtesies their patron mentioned simply weren't followed. Elamghar makes his way forward to the edge of the water scanning for any signs of intelligent life or movement in the building on the far side.
Perception?: [roll0]

Hypersmith
2018-07-18, 02:18 PM
The woman shudders at mention of Imsim's name. "It's a monster, in the house across from the oasis. Don't go there, it'll get you too!"

---------------------------------

As Elamghar peers across the water, he notices no movement in the house beyond - the one door he can see through from this angle is closed. He does, however, notice that the birds that were wading on the bank near them have all moved away - still, the water ripples gently, without breeze to stir it - a large dark spot is coalescing under the surface near the bank. You spot the bulette moments before it comes crashing to the surface, denying it the first move in combat.

miinstrel
2018-07-18, 02:42 PM

His keen ears pick up on the strange silence right away as his eyes trace the movements of the dark shape, the pupils going wide as the toothy maw nears the surface of the water just before it leaps. "HOLY $%&@!!!!" Elamghar shouts indelicately, dashing back toward the car, the behemoth landing in his bootprints moments later. A cloud of sand kicks up around the enormous armored body, and Elamghar weaves a few arcane words into them, causing them to shine like diamonds and stick to the creature's wet hide.

BA: Disengage if needed, otherwise used to draw rapier from my cane.
Move: 30' to H15
Action: Cast Faerie Fire on the bulette. DEX save DC 13: [roll0] +mod

Faerie Fire: sheds 10' light. all attacks have advantage against it if it's visible

Jormengand
2018-07-18, 04:43 PM
Katarina, the land near the water is going down. Danger.

One-eye showed Katarina visually as well, to make up for its limited intelligence and therefore explanatory ability. "Oh, watch out for that quicksand, people." Katarina pointed out a few areas of it. She stood a little north of Kore and west of Elamghar as he went to inspect the water.

Then, a giant monster appeared out of the water. Why did everything have to be difficult?

Katarina: [roll0]
One-eye: [roll1]

Katarina grabbed her rapier in her left hand, and rushed up to the creature, thrusting the rapier into it while also using her wrist-mounted blade to strike at it.

Interaction: Draw rapier.
Move: To N14, just off the edge of the water in that square
Action: Attack with rapier. (Advantage from assassin)
Bonus action: Attack with short sword. (Advantage from assassin)

Barbarian MD
2018-07-19, 06:59 AM
Kore's attention swivels immediately to the newcomer. With slow and precise movements he draws an arrow from the quiver at his hip and lines up a shot. Spectral energy swirls about the arrow, coalescing at the head and streams of ever-shimmering and twisting energy seem to connect the arrow directly to the heart of the monster.

He releases.

Bonus: Hex the Bulette. Disadvantage on Dex saves.
If advantage applies from the faerie fire: [roll1]
(May utilize precision attack, let me see what the roll is)
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] necrotic (Seriously?! Two natural ones?!)

"Imsim! If this is your pet know that we seek an audience!"

Hypersmith
2018-07-19, 07:26 AM
Katarina's rapier slips into the gaps between the bulette's armor, though her shortsword finds no purchase. The glimmering sand sticks to the beasts wet body, guiding Kord's arrow to strike true. The monster, seeming more enraged than anything by the blows, lumbers into the nearby quicksand, dipping beneath the surface and swimming through it as it picks up speed. It dips deeper, out of sight for a split second, before resurfacing with enough momentum to send it -sailing is too graceful- through the air. Kord and Barden have a moment's time to react to the creature before it crushes them under it's weight.

If Imsim is here, or can hear you, there is no indication.

Bulette failed dex save vs fairy fire
Elamghar used that bonus action for a disengage
Katarina gets an AOO against it.
Barden and Kord, dex OR str saves vs DC16 to half the damage of deadly leap and avoid being knocked prone 36+4 17 bludgeoning and 36+4 13 slashing

Jormengand
2018-07-19, 08:05 AM
Weak point! The owl sent an image pointing out where the landshark had left itself exposed, and Katarina grinned as she drove her rapier towards the point. Who needed flanking when you had the perfect spotter for all the weak points?

Not that it mattered. Thanks to Elamghar, Katarina already had eyes on the faintly-glowing weak points of the monster, though One-eye would have other ways of helping in due course. She attacked [roll0] viciously, using Elamghar's spell to her advantage [roll1] in order to inflict some more damage [roll2]+[roll3] on the creature. With how powerful it was, it was critical [roll4]+[roll5] that it was taken down quickly.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-19, 08:19 AM
There is an enormous crash, and Kore very nearly dies under the bloat of the creature. He throws himself out of the way, trips and lands flat, and then turns it into a roll as the monster lands with a crunch of sand.

Kore continues his roll, into a standing run, and gets the hell away from the Bulette.

Disengage for 30 feet movement.
Action surge! for another 30 feet movement.
All movement is due south, avoiding the quicksand, in a straight line away from the monster. Is the car the green box on the map?
Bonus action second wind. [roll0]

Sorry to run folks, but I've got 7 hp currently.

Jormengand
2018-07-19, 11:34 AM
Katarina sighed. One down, one fleeing. "Ours were to be vallus!" We shouldn't run away. "Mind yon brights on mine!" Keep concentrating on the light for me.

One-Eye, try to patch Barden's wounds
On it!

As for herself, Katarina skirted around the quicksand to be just northeast of Barden, before lashing out at the landshark once more with rapier [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] and shortsword [roll3] [roll4] [roll5], aiming for the creature's weak points [roll6] and hoping at least one blade would land a strong hit on the creature. [roll7] [roll8] [roll9]

miinstrel
2018-07-19, 11:38 AM

Elamghar watches in horror as the thing hurtles through the air into his traveling companions and breathes a sigh of relief as Kore's form appears tumbling and running away when the dust settles. That renewed hope set him back into action. "Hey you fat, plated pig - how about some white meat?" he taunts, firing off a bolt from his crossbow before dashing away toward the tomb.

As he goes, he shouts "Irisv," as a small pulse of white light flashes across Barden and he awakens.

Attack: [roll0], adv [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + sneak [roll3]
Crit: [roll4] + sneak [roll5]

BA: Healing Word on Barden 5 (from OOC)
Move to G9

Jormengand
2018-07-19, 11:59 AM
One-eye literally flew in the face of the bulette, distracting it for just a moment to help Katarina gain an advantage against the bulette, then flew back behind Katarina in order to hide from the creature's wrath.

Hypersmith
2018-07-21, 08:13 AM
The bulette sniffs at Barden on the ground for a moment, ignoring the arrows and shortsword pinging off it's armor - but when Katarina's blade finds another gap, it bellows as the nuisance becomes more tangible. It spins about, attempting a snap at the owl, then a gaping snap at Katarina.
Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit [roll2]
Inside the tomb, the woman watches with horror, if anyone bothers to pay her any attention.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-21, 10:00 AM
Thanks for allowing the retcon! So, Hexblade's curse last turn and second wind this turn.

During his initial escape, Kore draws back and releases his bow at the Bulette. But instead of an arrow, only spectral shadowy energy streaks across the sands, hitting the creature and wreathing it momentarily in a dark fire. No damage is done, but the Archer has hexed his enemy.

Watching the destruction of his comrades, Kore continues to walk due south, placing a hand to his chest and healing himself. Then he calmly draws another arrow and nocks it, which immediately becomes wreathed in more dark energy. From a distance of about 90' feet, he draws back and takes another shot at the Bulette, the faerie fire guiding his arrow home.

Advantage from the faerie fire: [roll1]
(May utilize precision attack, let me see what the roll is, if both rolls miss with results between something like 12-15)
If I don't use precision attack, will use pushing attack instead: + [roll2] damage and Strength check DC 11 or get pushed back 15 feet.
Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] necrotic
Crits on 19-20. [roll5] + [roll6]

Huzzah for a crit!

miinstrel
2018-07-21, 02:06 PM

A second sickening crunch as Katarina's eyes roll upwards in the beast's enormous mouth. "Irisv," he shouts again, this time directing the pulse of healing energy to Katarina.
Taking careful aim he fires off another bolt from his crossbow before retreating a few more feet toward the tomb.

BA: Healing Word on Kat [roll0]
Move: to H7

Attack: [roll1], adv [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + sneak [roll4]
Crit: [roll5] + sneak? [roll6]

Concentrating: Faerie Fire 8/10

Jormengand
2018-07-21, 03:27 PM
"Thanks, friend," coughed Katarina. "Now, time to finish this show."

She focused a moment, and brought her focus crystal to bear as she chanted a magical incantation. "Esar, eegi, giadie!"

Suddenly, a cloud of spinning, purplish blades manifested from her. She then stood, and ran around to the other side of the bulette, while One-eye stayed north of it. If it was going to leave the area of the blades, it would have to walk into the quicksand.

Katarina to H18, One-Eye to J16.

Irish Musician
2018-07-24, 09:51 AM
Level 3 Monk/Cleric | AC:16 | HP: 14/24 | Ki: 3/3 | Slots: Lvl1: 4/4, Lvl 2: 1/2

Barden shakes his head and comes back to the land of the living. He shakes his head, stand up, and draws his sword in one motion. He lets his sword fly and it attempts to slice through its armor. He also puts a hand to his chest and send healing energies through himself.

Ok, here we go!
Move - Stand up
Attack - with advantage, woot!
or [roll] 1d20+6, dmg: [roll1] magical dmg
Bonus - Healing Word at level 2 - [roll2] HP back to me

Hypersmith
2018-07-24, 10:11 AM
The bulette, assailed on multiple sides, spins around, trying to get all of you in it's sight at once. As it turns away from the dropped Katarina, Kord's arrow takes it through the beady eye. It's voice reverberates through your chest as it bellows, primal rage and fear. Elamghar's bolt finds a seam in the armor, and Kat's blades surround it. Bleeding from the multitude of wounds, the beast reacts to Barden, backing up to avoid the blow and rush towards the water - the purple blades are driven deep into the flesh by it's own weight. It opens it's jaws to snap at Katarina once more, but it has to little life left to muster the final attack. It collapses, and breathes a few last, haggard breaths.

Silence settles over the oasis once more.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-24, 01:43 PM
The party hears an otherworldly wailing as the Bulette's spirit leaves its body. It tries to leave this plane, but instead its life force travels across the sands and enters Kore. His eyes light up briefly, the same spectral energy embodied by his bow.

He calmly nocks another arrow and waits in silence for further attackers to show themselves.

Pure fluff for Hexblade's curse. Restores a little HP on death.

Irish Musician
2018-07-25, 01:20 PM
Level 3 Monk/Cleric | AC:16 | HP: 24/24 | Ki: 3/3 | Slots: Lvl1: 3/4, Lvl 2: 1/2

Barden keeps his sword out, breathing heavily he stand at attention, also waiting for anymore unseen attackers to come out. He presses his other hand to his chest again, filling his body with more healing magics as he is still with open wounds.

Cure Wounds, level 1, [roll0]

Hypersmith
2018-07-25, 09:52 PM
As the silence stretches, you hear the clanking of chains once more as the woman to the north hisses at you all desperately. "Listen to me! It'll get worse if we don't get out of here! Please, lets just get away. I'll do whatever you want, just...just get me out." The last sentence is resigned, quieter.

A few birds settle on the water once more. The house across the way remains the same. Pristine, and quiet, door to the courtyard slightly ajar.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-25, 10:47 PM
"Imsim! We seek an audience! We intend no harm or theft."

He doesn't move otherwise.

Hypersmith
2018-07-26, 06:00 AM
There is no reply.

The girl takes a moment as she connects the dots. "You don't know it's customs, do you? Oh, you'll make it angry and that'll be even worse for me. Listen, if you get me out, I'll teach you all there is to know, alright? You can talk to him, I can get away for free. Sound good?"

Barbarian MD
2018-07-26, 08:11 AM
Kore slowly crosses the desert, not necessarily moving towards the buildings, but moving laterally to try to see into the openings. When he can see the girl again, he calls out, "Who are you? Why are you here?"

Irish Musician
2018-07-26, 09:13 AM

Barden didn't like it.....something was off. This girl, the oasis......his senses were tingling, but from what he could not be sure. "If you are its prisoner, and we let you out, we may anger it more by letting you out. Once we talk to it, we may be able to talk to it and try and help get you out. But until then, we can't risk offending him. You could have stole from him, or hurt him somehow, and this is your punishment. We do not know. Tell us how to respectfully summon him, and we will do our best to try and convince him to let you go."

Hypersmith
2018-07-26, 09:24 AM
"I'm Naydleh. Imsim kidnapped me. I stumbled across the oasis when taking a shortcut through the desert with a caravan. Imsim took me as prisoner, and used magic to convince the rest I had run away to Bralizzar with some goods. Imsim is skilled in trickery and illusion. It came out for us when we stepped into it's compound seeking shelter, but that, and this tomb, are mostly illusion too, meant to draw us in. Come, touch the walls of this tomb and you'll feel how dilapidated and old it really is."

Barbarian MD
2018-07-26, 09:25 AM
"No, I don't think we'll do that.

"I'm guessing you're actually Imsim, then?"

Hypersmith
2018-07-26, 10:02 AM
The woman tilts her head and frowns. "I - what? No. I'm just his unwilling prisoner."

Her words may be desperate, but you sense no lie. Perhaps an incomplete story, but there is sincere fear.

Irish Musician
2018-07-26, 10:39 AM

Barden knew something was off, "I do not think you are telling us the entire story. We completely honest with us, tell us everything. What are you not telling us? I know there is something you are holding back...."

Hypersmith
2018-07-27, 09:41 PM
The woman looks alarmed. "I don't know what you're talking about. Come a little closer, look me in the eye. You'll see I'm telling the truth."

Barbarian MD
2018-07-27, 09:48 PM
"No."

Kore draws his bow and aims it directly at the woman.

"That's twice you've told us to come closer. Do it a third time and you die."

Hypersmith
2018-07-27, 10:03 PM
"You're being hasty! There's other illusions - the water, taste the water. It looks clear, but it isn't."

Barbarian MD
2018-07-27, 10:06 PM
"So where is Imsim then?"

Hypersmith
2018-07-27, 10:09 PM
"In the house across the pond. But if you step in, you'll end up like me, especially since you don't know the customs."

Barbarian MD
2018-07-27, 10:25 PM
"If it is as you say, then you know not the customs either and are of no use to us. Why were you here?"

Hypersmith
2018-07-28, 12:39 PM
The woman looks crestfallen. "I've already explained. I just don't want to be stuck here any longer. Will nothing convince you to help me?" Her voice falls with the last sentence, and it looks like she's blinking back tears.

Irish Musician
2018-07-30, 10:25 AM

Barden sighs, "Tell us the customs and then we may be able to help you. But if he locked you up for just stepping foot into his house, what do you think he will do to us if we let go his prisoner?" Barden looks over to the woman. "If we present ourselves respectfully, we are in a much better position to get you released. If you help us now, we won't forget it."

miinstrel
2018-07-30, 02:59 PM
"Oh, forget the bloody customs, we don't know them - there's no point trying to deduce them," Elamghar pipes up after listening to the fruitless banter. He returns to the car and extracts the rare lily from its sheltered position to keep it from drying up in the desert sun. Avoiding the quicksand he approaches the building on the far side. "Imsim, caretaker of this oasis, we come humbly requesting an audience. As you've surely heard we have no interest in releasing your prisoner or causing you any offense and apologize for our ignorance of your peoples' customs, though we would gladly learn with your guidance." He crosses the gate threshold into the small courtyard. "As a token of our sincere intent I bring for you a rare lily as a contribution to the beauty of your garden and a tome about the many other wonderful flora that lie beyond the desert sands." Another few steps and he's inside the building peering closely at everything for signs of trickery at the woman's recommendation.

WIS save vs illusion? [roll0]
+2 instead if Perception is more appropriate

Hypersmith
2018-07-30, 04:17 PM
The woman bows her head. "If you present yourselves, you won't walk away" Her evasiveness is clear. Her eyes follow Elamghar as he leaves her range of vision. "You're making a mistake!"

Looking more closely at the surroundings, you manage to sort the reality from what has been placed before you. The glittering water is in fact a sun-baked mud hole, with brown shrubbery. Any of you who filled your water skins will find the water within rank and unappealing. The tomb is in fact dilapidated, on the verge of collapse, though the building across the pond is in better condition, it is not as well maintained as it appears. The inviting tiles are only dust, and large cracks run up and down the walls.

Inside, the benches are in fact a boulder and part of a pine trunk.

As Elamghar crosses the threshold, ducking to get in, the door to the north creaks open slightly, and an old man's voice, inviting and calm, rings out. "Welcome travelers. Please, join me in my parlor. We will rest, then speak of our business."
Three doors lead out of this small veranda into rooms - one to the north, one souhwest, and one south.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/51/fb/8651fbae331f26615069198c8def4e76.jpg
Comfortable pillows are strewn about this room, and thick rugs cover the floor. The walls are painted in a beautiful pattern of interlocking blue and green diamonds, triangles, and more intricate shapes. A kettle steams on a small charcoal burner, with a ceramic pot of tea leaves sitting next to it. Crystal and silver cups are arrayed on a silver tray. A small man sits by the kettle. He is richly dressed but no more than three feet tall. His skin has the texture of sand, and the air around him shimmers faintly like a heat mirage—or is that only heat from the charcoal burner? He smiles as you enter and motions you toward the cushions with a sweep of his arm.
"Sit, enjoy a drink. Your gifts are appreciated, but I am your host for now, and will grant you every accommodation.
The ground in this area consists of stones, broken brickwork, and gravel. However, when you step on the illusory carpet, you can feel the thickness of the fibers and the plushness of the cushions. This is no ordinary illusion. It may as well be real.

miinstrel
2018-07-30, 05:19 PM

Attempting to give no indication of the revelation his examination yielded, Elamghar enters the chamber and bows before Imsim, setting the plant on the floor in the room, though not drawing out the book from his pack just yet. "You are most gracious, thank you for the invitation. The woman in the tomb tried to trick us into releasing her, but we knew a powerful spirit such as yourself would not take a prisoner without good cause. A thief, I'm sure, trying to steal away the beauty of your grounds." His tone is deferential and polite.

"Our deepest apologies for the death of the beast in the lake. As any good pet, it attacked to defend its master's domain and we had little choice but to end its life to save our own. Or perhaps it was intended as a test of strength? Surely you offer such hospitality to only the worthiest of visitors."

His eyes widen suddenly. "My goodness, in my excitement to meet you I completely forgot my companions outside. Please allow me a moment to fetch them that we might partake of your generosity together." He waits a moment for a nod or some indication of permission before moving.

Barbarian MD
2018-07-30, 05:58 PM
Kore watches his companion enter the building with interest. He does not move, but continues to keep his bow at the ready.

Hypersmith
2018-07-30, 08:27 PM
His eyes take on a darker shade, and the room warms slightly. "Do not presume the nature of my prisoner, or bring talk of death in here. Leave such dark topics till after we dine. Go now, fetch the rest of your companions, that they may rest with us here."

miinstrel
2018-07-31, 09:09 AM

"At once," he says with a slight bow. "I would like to warn you though, the hairy one has no love of the fey. He has agreed to be on his best behavior while we are here and respect our host, but there's a temper in that one. I humbly advise you not press him that we may enjoy a more pleasant discussion." Elamghar backs out of the room until he's out of view and then walks quickly back outside toward his traveling companions.

"Imsim's inside, but nothing here's real," he says quietly hoping their host can't overhear. "The woman's right: the water is mud, the building is crumbling, and the cushions are just figments. He's going to offer us tea - a sleeping draught I suspect. Be cautious. And don't speak of death or his prisoner.

Katarina, do what you do best if needed."

Using Words of Terror ability on Imsim. WIS save or frightened of Kore for 1 hour or until damaged.
Do I know if this took hold or not?

Inspiration to Katarina (d6 on a d20 of your choice in next 10 minutes)

Jormengand
2018-08-01, 07:32 AM
Katarina nodded, and took a moment to shrug her armour off, before chanting softly, "Aryu-oh Emmara Eegiaiem!" A purple force whirled about her, before becoming invisible; it would ward off any blows struck against her but she resented its incompatibility with genuine armour. She then conjured up a glowing vial, this time definitely not of water, lifted her rapier a little out of its sheath, poured the substance into the sheath, and pushed the rapier back in, coating it in the stuff and containing its glow within the sheath, making it impossible to see that the blade was coated in faintly glowing, magical purple worm potion. She then quickly buried the vial itself in the desert sands, before going to meet with Imsim.

She walked into the room - if it was even a real room - and curtsied slightly for their host. "Greetings to you, Master Wayfarer Imsim," she said, granting their host a title as seemed appropriate, as was etiquette for mage-guild representatives when speaking to those who were not themselves of the mage-guilds; if Peshmi knew Imsim then he had probably called them by the same title. "I am Representative Katarina Ynnova; I am here on behalf of Master Archmage Misericordius Voth, Master Artificer Aurora Ryell, Administrator Alexander Jordian, Archmage Resonias Tori and Master Representative Peshmi Rednails. We come seeking your guidance in a matter of grave importance. However, of course there is time enough for ceremony, as there surely always is, and it is a great pleasure to receive your hospitality."

Irish Musician
2018-08-01, 02:32 PM

Barden follows the others inside and makes a slight bow before sitting cross-legged in one of the cushions on the floor. He takes a drink, when prompted, and eats if there is food, as to not offend their host.

Hypersmith
2018-08-01, 02:49 PM
Imsim is seated when you enter once more. To the west is a door to a room beyond - it appears to be closed. The room seems cool and welcoming in comparison to the heat outside. He sets out five small cups, carefully pouring some of the liquid from the kettle into each one, then replacing the kettle in the burner.

"You come bearing authority from far away, seeking me in particular. Quite odd."
He pushes the drinks towards you all, then takes a sip from his own after you pick up the small ceramic. It does not appear to be illusory. This drink is real.
"Unfortunately, tradition cannot be cut short for that. Had those you represent wanted otherwise, they should have come themselves, don't you agree? Before we speak of business - have you any news of interest, or stories about yourselves?"

Irish Musician
2018-08-01, 03:18 PM
Level 3 Monk/Cleric | AC:16 | HP: 24/24 | Ki: 3/3 | Slots: Lvl1: 3/4, Lvl 2: 1/2

Barden picks up the tea and takes a sip, nodding before he does in thanks. "Authority can only be given. If you wish us to not have any authority, then what we say holds no power. Besides, all of the Masters only would have slowed us down." Hard to tell whether or not the Shadar-kai is joking or not. The elf from the Shadowfell isn't the most open of creatures, of since the host is the one asking. "I do not know what might be of interest to such a being of power such as yourself. But my Queen ordered me here from the Shadowfell, to wander and take heed the actions of this plane. I felt called to this mission, so here I am."

miinstrel
2018-08-01, 03:47 PM

"In contrast, I serve no higher power than myself though everything I do is with my lineage in mind. Elamghar of House Mizzroveae from the Drow city of Vesgorat in the mountains far to the north - a full month's journey from here. We've far more stone than desert. The great steam technologies have not quite reached my lands yet, though I have done my part to share them with my people. Have you seen any of the wonderous contraptions coming from Navel and other cities?" He sips his tea but attempts to do so in such a way that he swallows no liquid.

Sleight of Hand on the tea if needed? Idk
[roll0]

Jormengand
2018-08-01, 04:47 PM
Katarina took her assigned drink, but avoided partaking by occupying her mouth with words. "Master Representative Rednails suggested that we might benefit from seeking you out, but as you say, best to leave business a while." The temptation to cut short this formality and simply threaten Imsim was only tempered by the overwhelmingly-apparent possibility that he might be well able to fight back. "I'm afraid I haven't much in the way of news of interest, given how little time I have had outside of my duties, but I might be able to regale you with a story about myself..."

KATARINA HID BEHIND A WOODEN PILLAR.

"EXCUSE ME. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH ADMINISTRATOR XOROS IN ABOUT FIVE MINUTES."
"OF COURSE. ADMINISTRATOR XOROS IS IN HIS STUDY ON THE SEVENTH FLOOR."

KATARINA HELD HER BREATH AS HER BROTHER WALKED STRAIGHT PAST HER, AND THEN STARTED TO CREEP AFTER HIM. HE WAS, FORTUNATELY, OBLIVIOUS TO HER PURSUIT. HE WALKED UP TO THE TOP FLOOR, WITH HIS YOUNGER SISTER STEALTHILY FOLLOWING BEHIND - SHE WAS CONSCIOUS OF THE FACT THAT ONLY ONE PERSON USED THE TOP FLOOR REGULARLY. HE WALKED TO THE DOOR, AND ENTERED MASTER ARCHMAGE VOTH'S STUDY WITHOUT KNOCKING. "I'M TOLD THERE'S A PROBLEM."

VOTH LOOKED UP AT HIM. "MASTER REPRESENTATIVE YNNOVA. ENTER. CLOSE THE DOOR." HE DID SO; KATARINA SCRAMBLED TO THE DOOR AND PRESSED HER EAR TO IT. THE ROOM, INDEED THE WHOLE TOWER, WAS WARDED AGAINST EVERY DIVINATION SPELL THAT VOTH COULD THINK OF, AND QUITE A FEW THAT HE COULDN'T, AGAINST PLANAR INTRUSION, AND EVEN AGAINST SIEGE WEAPONRY, BUT THERE WERE NO PROTECTIONS AGAINST SIMPLY LISTENING IN AT THE DOOR. WHY WOULD THERE BE? THERE WAS NO WAY FOR ANY INTRUDER TO GET INTO THE TOWER IN THE FIRST PLACE... RIGHT?

"I REQUIRE A SCION OF A PARTICULAR NOBLE FOR AN IMPORTANT PROJECT. YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE LEGENDARY HERO BELLISARIUS LUMINOR?"
"INDEED - HE WAS A GRANDMASTER CUSTODIAN OF THIS TOWER. I BELIEVE I AM RELATED TO HIM, PRESUMABLY HENCE MY BEING SUMMONED HERE?"
"CORRECT. THERE IS A COMPLICATION. THE PROJECT REQUIRES THE ANIMUS VITAE OF THE SUBJECT TO BE CONSUMED, WHICH - AS I'M SURE YOU KNOW, IS A TERMINALLY LETHAL PROPOSITION. UNFORTUNATELY, ACCORDING TO MY CALCULATIONS, THE LAST GENERATION WITH A PURE ENOUGH BLOODLINE FOR THIS PROJECT IS YOURS."
"YOU ARE TELLING ME THIS, WHICH YOU WOULDN'T BE IF YOU PLANNED TO KILL ME. NO-ONE IS ALIVE WHO COULD BIRTH SOMEONE OF PURE ENOUGH BLOODLINE. THERE ARE ONLY TWO PEOPLE WITH PURE ENOUGH BLOODLINE."

KATARINA CAME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION AS HER BROTHER AT THE SAME TIME. VOTH PLANNED TO HAVE HER KILLED BY HER OWN BROTHER.

"I SEE THAT WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER WELL. I DOUBT YOU HAVE ANY QUALMS..."
"OF COURSE NOT. WILL THAT BE ALL, MASTER ARCHMAGE?"
"YES. YOU KNOW WHAT I WISH TO OCCUR. NOW GO, AND MAKE IT OCCUR THIS WAY, OR IT SHALL OCCUR THE OTHER."

KATARINA RAN, VOTH'S FINAL SENTENCE GIVING HER ONLY A SHRED OF HOPE. IF HER BROTHER FAILED TO KILL HER SOON, THEN NONE OF THE MAGE-GUILD WOULD HAVE ANY REASON TO KILL HER. SHE RAN DOWN SEVERAL FLIGHTS OF STAIRS AND BURST INTO ADMINISTRATOR KYREA'S ROOM. "ZAHRA, LOCK THE DOOR!"

KYREA DIDN'T QUESTION HER, AND SLAMMED THE DOOR SHUT BEFORE SPEAKING WORDS OF POWER. "KACIO ELYEN CIARE!" THE DOOR LOCKED ITSELF TIGHT. "NOW, WHAT ON ALDAROTH..."
"NO TIME. NEED TO GET OUT. AWAY. BUT NOT HOME..."

ZAHRA CONSIDERED. "I CAN GIVE YOU THE POWER OF FLIGHT AND GET YOU OUT OF THE WINDOW, BUT THE SPELL MIGHT DROP IF I GET HURT."
"I'LL TAKE IT. THANKS, ZAHRA."
"YOU OWE ME ONE. TIAICH GIYAI ELEPH!"

KATARINA LEAPT OUT THE WINDOW JUST AS HER BROTHER BLEW THE DOOR OFF ITS HINGES.

Katarina paused for breath, and gauged Imsim's reaction.

Hypersmith
2018-08-01, 10:57 PM
Imsim listens with rapt attention to you all as he continues to sip his tea. He seems quite pleased, grinning with a flash of pearly teeth. "Splendid, all of you. The steam technologies are beginning to spread, meaning I'll soon see another leaf turn in history. And the Queen's children are ever welcome in my home. It's been far too long since I last met one. As for you -" he looks at Kore. "I would like if you would regale me with what causes your dislike of the fae."

As Katarina's story continues, he refills his cup and continues to smile at her, encouraging her to continue with a nod, and a glimmer of... something in his eyes. It's not immediately clear, as you notice his eyes aren't quite normal. They contain the quiet glow of an ember deep within, a steady light with the potential to start raging fire, and the black pupils that surround that warmth seem all the darker for it.
Interest. He's definitely, and genuinely interestedThere is also a slight hint of... amusement. As though witnessing an unexpected, but not disliked, coincidence. The quick flickering motions of the pupils indicate that he's focusing on multiple things at once. Curiosity.and buried deep underneath it all, the slightest hint of worry. You can't imagine what for, or what causes it, but it is there all the same.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-02, 05:59 AM
Kore is hesitant at first to approach the buildings, and would prefer to stand watch with his bow, but the others prevail on him. He follows, his bow once again becoming a great sword and riding on his back.

He sits politely during the introductions, on his knees, palms on thighs, and nods appropriately.

He does not drink the proffered tea.

"I'm Kore. I'm from a gormin' worthless family and a $#/+-hole town. I don't have many stories. But I can show ya my vehicle if you're interested in steamworks."

When challenged about disliking fae: "I don't know whatcha mean. I'm wary of you, if that's what yer about. But I'm wary of everybody."

Hypersmith
2018-08-02, 11:35 AM
Imsim gives Kord an appraising glance. "Perhaps when we have more time on hand. For now, respect the ancient traditions of hospitality while you are my guest. If you will not drink, make a show of it. I will not insulted under my own roof again." He speaks with thinly veiled irritation.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-02, 11:49 PM
Kore takes the cup and raises it to his lips.

"Thank you for your hospitality."

Jormengand
2018-08-03, 11:43 AM
One-Eye's eponymous receptor opened wide and surveyed every movement across Imsim's face. Imsim think it's funny? But scary? Many things, so many things they think...

Katarina saw it too, now that he mentioned it. Three eyes focused directly on Imsim as Katarina made a show of sipping at the tea, then resumed her story - she intended to know every thought that crossed the fey's mind. Once again, the words came to life on her lips, painting a picture that could almost be seen as though you were there...

KATARINA DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON BEHIND HER. ANY MOMENT, ZAHRA COULD DROP THE SPELL, BY WILL OR BY FORCE, WHICH WOULD SEND KATARINA TUMBLING. SHE KEPT NEAR TO THE GROUND THE MOMENT SHE WAS OUT OF RANGE FOR ANYONE TO DO MUCH ABOUT HER, AND SKIRTED ACROSS A FEW FEET ABOVE, FLYING AT TRIPLE MOST PEOPLE'S RUNNING SPEED. EVEN WHEN REDUCED TO USING HER LEGS, SHE WOULD REMAIN FASTER THAN MOST. IT WAS JUST AS WELL, AND JUST AS WELL SHE'D KEPT TO THE GROUND, AS SHE LANDED SUDDENLY, THEN CONTINUED HER ESCAPE ON FOOT.

VOTH COULD HAVE BLASTED HER OUT OF THE SKY IF HE'D WANTED, MEANING THAT HE INTENDED THIS AS A TEST AS MUCH AS ANYTHING ELSE - BROTHER VERSUS SISTER, MIGHT AND MAGIC VERSUS SMOKE AND MIRRORS, BLADES IN THE WIND VERSUS KNIVES IN THE DARK. SHE WOULDN'T HAVE STOOD A CHANCE IF VOTH HAD TRIED TO KILL HER PERSONALLY; COME TO THINK OF IT, HE'D PROBABLY REALISED SHE WAS LISTENING IN AT THE DOOR. HE MUST HAVE DONE: ON REFLECTION, HE PROBABLY LET HER IN DELIBERATELY. HE WAS NOTHING IF NOT CRAFTY. BUT IF VOTH HAD SIMPLY WANTED HER DEAD, HE COULD EASILY HAVE DONE IT HIMSELF, OR SENT ONE OF HIS UNDEAD HORRORS.

BUT IF SHE COULD EVADE HER BROTHER, PERHAPS SHE WAS WORTHY OF HIS POSITION. IF SHE COULD FIND SOME WAY TO FIGHT HIM OFF, OR EVEN KILL HIM HERSELF... BUT HOW? SHE WAS RUNNING AIMLESSLY, AND HE WOULD CATCH UP TO HER USING HIS OWN SPELL OF FLIGHT - SHE COULD SEE HIM WHEN SHE LOOKED BACK.

SHE RAN TOWARDS THE MARKETPLACE, KNOWING THAT THE GUARDS WOULD SHOOT DOWN ANYONE WHO ATTACKED ANYONE ELSE THERE. IF HER BROTHER WANTED TO KILL HER IN THE MARKETPLACE, HE WOULD NEED TO BE SUBTLE ABOUT IT.

SHE ALMOST BARRELLED HEADLONG INTO AN ELVEN NOBLEWOMAN, WHO SHRIEKED AND JUMPED ASIDE. "STOP THERE!" YELLED A GUARD. SHE DIDN'T, AND OUTPACED THE GUARD - SO MUCH FOR USING THEM IN HER FAVOUR. SHE CONTINUED TO DASH AWAY FROM THE GUARDS AS MORE OF THEM PURSUED HER. SEVERAL AIMED BOWS AT HER, BUT SHE KNEW IT WAS A BLUFF - THEY WERE TRAINED NEVER TO ATTACK UNLESS THE TARGET POSED AN IMMEDIATE THREAT, AND THEY COULDN'T RISK HITTING SOMEONE ELSE ANYWAY.

"GOTCHA."

KATARINA GRIMACED AS HER BROTHER MATERIALISED IN FRONT OF HER. "IVAN."
"KAT. I SUGGEST YOU COME WITH ME."
"AND REALLY, WHY WOULD I DO THAT? I'M NOT FOOL ENOUGH TO."

THE PAIR OF THEM WERE SOON ENOUGH SURROUNDED BY GUARDS. MAYBE THIS WOULD HELP...

"WHAT'S THE MATTER, IVAN? AREN'T YOU GOING TO OBEY YOUR ORDERS?"
"YOU'RE A FOOL - YOU KNOW THAT? THIS WON'T SAVE YOU. I COULD KILL THEM ALL, YOU KNOW. BUT I WON'T."
"YOU'D HAVE THREE ARROWS... NO, WAIT, FOUR - I SEE YOU THERE, WELL HIDDEN THOUGH - IN YOU IF YOU TRIED."

IVAN GRINNED, AND RUSHED TOWARDS KATARINA, DRAWING HIS DAGGER AS HE DID. FOUR ARROWS FLEW TOWARDS HIM. TWO MISSED ENTIRELY, TWO SIMPLY BOUNCED OFF. KATARINA DODGED, BARELY, AND RUSHED PAST TWO GUARDS. THIS TIME, THEY DIDN'T TRY TO STOP HER. MUCH GOOD MAY THAT DO HER; IVAN LEAPT INTO THE AIR AND - SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE, "TIEL OBIE! EEYAR IYEF! - LAUNCHED A BOLT OF FIRE DOWN AT HER, WHICH STRUCK TRUE, AND SCORCHED HER THOROUGHLY. BADLY INJURED, SHE TURNED TO HER LEFT AND CAST HERSELF THROUGH THE NEAREST DOOR.

"TIEL OBIE! EEYAR IYEF!

THE MADMAN! HE'D SET THE WHOLE HOUSE ON FIRE! KATARINA SCOWLED, GRABBED A BROOM, AND HELD THE BRUSH OF IT TO THE FLAMES. AS IVAN, PREDICTABLY, MATERIALISED INSIDE THE BURNING HOUSE, KATARINA SWUNG THE BROOM AT HIM, LIGHTNING THE MASTER REPRESENTATIVE ON FIRE AND BREAKING HIS CONCENTRATION ON HIS SPELL OF FLIGHT, BEFORE LEGGING IT UP THE STAIRS AT PRODIGIOUS SPEED, DRAGGING THE BROOM ALONG THE STEPS TO SET THEM ALIGHT TOO. IF NOTHING ELSE, SHE HAD WASTED MOST OF IVAN'S STRONGEST SPELLS... BUT SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW LONG SHE COULD KEEP THIS UP.

SHE GUESSED THAT BETWEEN HER, ZAHRA, AND IVAN'S OWN PROTECTIONS, SUCH AS THE ONE WHICH HAD REFLECTED THE GUARDS' ARROWS, IVAN WAS OUT OF HIS STRONGEST SPELLS AND DOWN TO PERHAPS ONE OF HIS SECOND-STRONGEST, BUT STILL HAD MOST OF HIS LOWER-LEVEL SPELLS REMAINING AND COULD KEEP BLASTING HER WITH FIRE FOREVER. CONVERSELY, KATARINA HERSELF HAD YET TO LEARN THE ART OF MAGIC. SHE WOULD HAVE TO IMPROVISE.

IVAN RAN UP THE STEPS, SCOWLING AS HE PUT OUT THE FLAMES, AND BEGAN ANOTHER INCANTATION. "TIAICH GIY..." KATARINA PERFECTLY TIMED HER THROW TO STRIKE HIM WITH HER OWN TAKE ON THE FIRE BOLT, SETTING HIM ALIGHT YET AGAIN. THAT WAS HIS FLIGHT THAT SHE'D INTERRUPTED. NOW, HE'D HAVE TO SCRAMBLE ABOUT ON ROOFTOPS TO PURSUE HER: THE GAME WAS NOW PLAYED BY KATARINA'S RULES, NOT IVAN'S.

BOTH YNNOVAS WERE BADLY WOUNDED, BUT NEITHER WOULD GIVE UP THIS FIGHT... NOT YET.

Hypersmith
2018-08-03, 02:15 PM
Imsim sips at his drink. "Seems rather cruel to me." He smiles slyly. "Do go on."

Jormengand
2018-08-03, 04:11 PM
"Ivan? No, cruel isn't how I'd describe him. He wanted to bring the fight to a quick end, I think, rather than torment me. Fate had other plans, though. It always does."

KATARINA GRABBED ONTO THE CHURCH TOWER, AND HOISTED HERSELF UP. SHE HAD OUTRUN IVAN ON THE ROOFTOPS, BUT THERE WAS NO POINT JUST RUNNING - HE WOULD CATCH UP WHENEVER SHE STOPPED; THERE WAS NO WAY SHE COULD CONCEAL HERSELF FROM HIM FOR LONG. SHE NEEDED SAFETY, AND A CHURCH - A ROOMFUL OF SPELLCASTERS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE MAGE-GUILD - WAS THE SAFEST PLACE SHE COULD THINK OF. IT WAS QUICKER TO CLIMB UP AND THEN RUN DOWN TO THE MAIN ROOM THAN TO CLIMB DOWN TO THE BASE OF THE CHURCH. SHE MANAGED TO MAKE IT TO THE TOP, THEN RUSHED DOWN. IVAN HAD TAKEN THE MORE DIRECT ROUTE; SHE HEARD A MUFFLED INCANTATION WHICH SHE SUSPECTED WAS TO SLOW HIS FALL. THERE WAS NO WAY THAT HE COULD REACH HER, THEN, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE MAIN ROOM, WHICH WOULD BE FILLED WITH...

SHE SWORE. SHE WAS IN THE CHURCH OF THE PARAGONS, WHICH HAD NO PRIESTS. THE PARAGONS DIDN'T GRANT SPELLS TO CLERICS, AFTER ALL; THEY GRANTED THEM TO SORCERERS. POWER IN THE BLOOD, AND ALL THAT. EVEN THEN, IT WAS A RARE OCCURRENCE: DESPITE BEARING BELLISARIUS LUMINOR'S BLOOD, IVAN HAD HAD TO LEARN MAGIC THE HARD WAY.

NOT THAT THAT STOPPED HIM. IVAN WALKED INTO THE ROOM WITH A GRIN OF SATISFACTION, MARRED ONLY SLIGHTLY WITH A GLIMMER OF ANNOYANCE. HE WALKED PAST THE ROWS OF STATUES OF THE PARAGONS, FROM GRANDMASTER ARCHMAGE AMARANTHIA KIATHIL, AN ELF WHOSE BLOODLINE STILL RAN STRONG, DOWN TOWARDS BELLISARIUS' STATUE, RIGHT AT THE OTHER END, NEAR KATARINA. KATARINA WAS NOW OFFICIALLY OUT OF REAL OPTIONS: IVAN WOULD BE ABLE TO KILL HER BEFORE SHE COULD FLEE PAST HIM, WOULD BE ABLE TO KILL HER BEFORE SHE COULD RUN BACK UP THE TOWER, WOULD BE ABLE TO KILL HER BEFORE SHE COULD KILL HIM. IF SHE'D HAD A KNIFE, SHE COULD AT LEAST HAVE TRIED SLIPPING IT BETWEEN HIS RIBS, BUT SHE WAS COMPLETELY UNARMED: SHE HADN'T EXPECTED TO NEED ANY WEAPONS.

SHE DUCKED BEHIND A STATUE OF HER ANCESTOR, LARGE ENOUGH TO FORCE IVAN TO APPROACH CLOSE IF HE WANTED TO FIGHT HER. SHE PREPARED TO DODGE HIS NEXT ATTACK, WHATEVER THAT MIGHT BE. A MOMENT LATER, SHE WAS FACE-TO-FACE WITH HIM. HE RAISED A HAND. "WYEIAR PYESS! ARUO ELOCIE!"

A BLINDING FLASH OF LIGHT DAZED KATARINA, A THOUSAND COLOURS DANCING TOWARDS HER LIKE A LIGHT-SHOW MADE JUST FOR HER, AND IN HER FASCINATION SHE WAS HELPLESS TO STOP THE KNIFE PIERCING HER CHEST AND PINNING HER TO THE WALL BEHIND HER AS IVAN FOLLOWED THROUGH. THE WORLD IN FRONT OF HER SPUN, AND SHE FAINTED.

"How I survived is another story, but for now, I end with a riddle, that you might stay amused by my story after I finish telling it, and perhaps glean for yourself how it ends:

Bravely and heroically, almost with force of arms,
Includes, concerns and talks about, so nearly turns around,
Esteem, desire, torpor, rage, greed, appetite or charm,
Nine and eight and three are lost, four six five five are found."

She set down her cup, and awaited a response.

Hypersmith
2018-08-03, 06:29 PM
Imsim leans forward and drums his fingers on the edge of the table. "The archmage is the cruel one in this case. I will think on your ending. Let us end formality here. We have exchanged stories and gifts at my table. I have a tale of my own to share, but before that - I am interested in what your companions think. Of your tale. Of the archmage. If it all has a place in a world of steam and metal. Elamghar and the drow, Barden and the people of death, even you, testy one, with your '****hole' . Would your people pit siblings against one another in a battle to the death?"

Barbarian MD
2018-08-04, 06:29 AM
"Sounds like your family might have been even more gormed than mine," remarks Kore.

"If somebody needs killing, then just kill 'em. Making a game out of it's gormin' stupid on yet arch-mage's part, you ask me. And if it's all a test to see who comes out on top, I think ya got ta question your interest in tha institution..."

Jormengand
2018-08-04, 10:17 AM
Katarina grimaced. "Misericordius Voth is many things, but stupid isn't one of them. He knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. He knew he couldn't trust a man who wouldn't kill his own sister in open combat for his purposes. Voth prefers undead minions, but if he has to have living ones, he needs to be sure they'll follow his orders. The one thing, though, that living creatures have that undead ones lack is initiative - the ability to make decisions when something makes your orders impossible or insane."

She sighed. "As for my interest... Voth may still be archmage, but Zahra Kyrea is now a master administrator, and everyone deserves to have a friend like her. Help first and ask questions later... and in the six years since Voth offered to accept me into the mage-guild - it wasn't the kind of offer one says no to - I've made a variety of friends."

A conflicted look finally settled across her face. "Plus, there's more parts to all of this than just mine and Ivan's. I..." She left the sentence hanging, not knowing how to articulate it beyond the first word. "One day, Kore, you'll know the full story, at least if we travel together long enough. But it is not the time for it. Perhaps one day I will know yours. But it is now the turn of our host, I think."

She effected a smile on her face, clearly fake, and set down her cup gently. "Imsim. You seemed amused, concerned, and yet curious all at once, as I told my story. Perhaps there is something you saw in it that I do not - I take no amusement in it, and clearly, there is no need to be concerned that I might have died at some point during the tale. Curiosity I can understand, and yet... you appeared distracted, as though concentrating on multiple things at once. You would know what my companions think, but what of you, Imsim?"

Barbarian MD
2018-08-06, 02:17 PM
"If somebody tries ta stab ya in the back, there's only one thing to do. Stab 'em first, in the back, from a hundred feet away, while they're asleep. Ya get me?"

Irish Musician
2018-08-06, 02:59 PM

Barden takes a moment, sipping the tea, before he answers. He sets down the tea and looks at Imsim, "To the death? Sometimes. The Shadar-Kai do not shy away from fights, whether they be friendly or not. We would have fights between ourselves, but for the most part they were meant to hone our talents and our effectiveness in battle. But our morals are not like the morals of this world, I've found. Things that cause insult or that matter here, do not matter at home. At home, I would not have asked for permission to enter your home. I would have walked in and told you what I needed from you, Imsim, and when our business was concluded, I would have left. So killing someone in our world is not an insult, or even necessarily a bad thing. For with our deaths brings our eternal life with our Queen, and was pre-destined to happen. Were you to kill me today, I would not feel anything about it. It is simply something that is."

Hypersmith
2018-08-06, 03:05 PM
“Concerned..? You presume child. Let me tell you a children’s tale from long ago. Longer than the speck of time you call ages. I am quite partial to it, and hope you will find it pleasing as well. It might bring some clarity too. You will find this interesting child of the queen. I can only guess at her reason for sending you here, but perhaps it could shed some light for you. Or just something to mull over, more differences between worlds.

Legend says land has been fertile since time immemorial, when the land was woven among the gods, and the planes of existence were still far and scattered. Travel from one to the next was difficult, impossibly so. For a traveler to come from the Feywild to this material plane was no small undertaking, and many Fae lords perished attempting the journey.
For the planes were still young, and the space between them, pockets that existed without the gods to interrupt, were pure chaos, pure stillness, or the union of the two. The astral sea and the ethereal plane are what remain of those pockets now, but it was not always so. The influence of the new laws the gods imposed upon the universe disrupted the eternal balance that had existed before, and the universe pushed back. But that is a story for another day.

From one of the gaps between planes sprung a mind, influenced by its proximity to the influence of the gods. It was the essence of overturning. Of burning away the old to embrace the new. This mind came to be here, in what is now Fera, and was welcomed by the young, eager children of the world. They lived in constant competition with others and with the wilderness, each eager to overtake the other, and so they accepted any help they could find. The mind joined them, for it had no reason to deny them their request. They offered the mind from their food and drink, and a place to shelter from the storm and fire. Through the night, the mind changed, shedding its old form to become like them. It spoke their language, understood their traditions. More importantly, it knew how to evolve them. So, when the next night came, the Mind burned down their homes and fed them to the wild beasts they tried so hard to keep out. Then it shed its skin once more and become one with the pack that had devoured his friends. And the mind was unbothered. The pack welcomed it in, showed him how to hunt and find food. When they slept that night, he burnt down their den around them, shed his skin, and become a flame. And so the flames welcomed the mind in.

You see, it could not exist in one state without discarding it to evolve to the next. The mind knew no other meaning but to destroy growth, risk it all in favor of creating a seed for new life to grow, which it could then destroy. It did not understand death, or that the gods watched this being curiously, to see who offered so many souls so readily to the aether, and from whence it spawned.

The mind headed aimlessly east, wreaking havoc as it went. It became a tale used to frighten young, to describe the nameless terror of the night, of the sudden decay of that you need most, of victory for your greatest enemies. It traveled east until it reached a farm near the ocean, bearing the form of a woman. It met within a single farmer at the end of his days, owner of vast fields of wheat that were the source of many livelihoods. The farmer presented a dilemma to the mind. Removing the man would make no difference. The chain of succession to the lands was long, and they were desired by many. The mind knew no weariness, so it set fire to the crops. The farmer was prepared, and his field hands contained the flames. The mind began to learn of frustration and killed the farmer and his kin. The land was seized by the army, and the fields continued to work. The mind was suddenly faced with the entire kingdom as it’s target. But the mind had become decay, and there was no capacity it could not fill to accomplish its goal. The mind rooted itself within the farmhouse, and the fields withered. The ground cracked and flaked, and the ocean itself began to boil away. Nothing within the land where the mind was could live, for the root of all life had ben scoured away.
The gods feared for their young land. Where once there was life, suddenly there was sudden strife. They struck, their powers still raw and uncommitted to endless war, far more powerful than today. But the mind had no soul to steal, no true body to harm. Only an essence, a concept fundamental to that which birthed even the gods, and so they could not destroy it lest they destroyed themselves and everything they created.

The ocean sands blew over the earth, covering what was once the fields of the farmer. The earth crumbled away, and those new sands spread further yet. The desert grew, but still nothing could stop the mind. The desert became the start and the end of all troubles within that age. Wars were fought because of its creation. Despots rose and fell. And in the end, the eternal desert overtook them all. With nothing left, the mind was no more, and the gods began anew, careful not to disturb its slumber. And yet, as long as there is creation – the mind will awaken to unmake it.

Of course, the mind comes and goes. It has no perception of time, so sometimes it works across eons. It is not tied to a single body, and being outside our system of souls, sees them as vessels, or sometimes means of energy. There is no telling, when crops wither, when children die, when villages perish in the night – has the mind made a move?”

Imsim swallows the last of his drink and sighs contentedly, leaning back against the wall and resting his hands on his ample belly. His eyes have a gleam of cunning to them as he frowns. “Unless you have more business, that will be all. To sate your curiosity, Naydleh is my prisoner because she is a murderer."

Irish Musician
2018-08-06, 03:23 PM

Barden, again, paused before speaking, the words of the Mind swirling around in his head. "You might say we resemble the mind, in some aspects. Not caring about death, consequences, morality. But we do not destroy to evolve or to try and we do not wreak havoc just to do it. We still have purpose in this life, most of us Shadar-Kai anyway. The mind seems to be a plague, in and of itself. Something that just destroys....it perverts the natural balance of life and death. This Mind......this is the thing my Queen sent me here to contend with."

And with no emotion behind the questions, "Who did she murder?"

Jormengand
2018-08-06, 03:45 PM
"So, our foe is a creature that can't be killed even by the gods themselves, and if it could, it would destroy all of creation. You might have led with that, Imsim."

She sighed. "So, if we are to succeed - a proposition which seems essentially impossible, given this description - we must combat a creature which can turn civilisations into graveyards, which cannot be fought directly, and which must not be destroyed. Unless I misunderstand you, Imsim, this being is practically the archetype of impossibility to combat."

Hypersmith
2018-08-06, 06:00 PM
Imsim nods. "Naydleh has killed many over the past decade or so. Mostly travelers and traders. A few bandits. One of my guests, an alchemist who was exploring the lands here. For that, she is mine till I see fit."

"I suspect you don't know how many like you I've spoken to recently. Peshmi has sent many this way, and more will follow you, because you are by no means guaranteed to have any effect. It may seem the mind is unkillable, and that is true to an extent. But it is not fully manifest in this world. If it were, it would already have ended, or nearly so. There are a few souls that can approach it on... Equal terms, so to speak. Prevent it from growing by interfering with its source. There are a few ways to tell if that is true. Stand before it. If you collapse into dust, or upset creation, that's not you. Alternatively, you could find out in safer ways. There are other unnatural creatures in the world. Beholders are the most common. The way your being interacts with it's own could be indicative if you'll survive an encounter. But the mind grows more powerful with every passing moment. You can make a choice. I can point you in the general direction of a beholder, or to the core of the desert."

"The Raven Queen abhors many things. I simply wish to live my life here with occasional guests, so I cannot confirm or deny your suspicions. Only point you for the sake of an old friend."

Barbarian MD
2018-08-06, 08:50 PM
"@)$+." A single word, long and drawn out, is all that Kore can manage at the end of Imsim's tale, and his suggestion to go talk to a Beholder.

"How much are we gettin paid again?" he asks his companions.

Irish Musician
2018-08-07, 08:52 AM

Barden looks to Kore, "It matters not. I am here for my Queen and shall go until I crumble into dust.....or defeat her enemy." He then directions his voice to Imsim, "Show us where these other-worldly beings are, as well as the core of the desert. It will not hurt us to know the location of both such things."

miinstrel
2018-08-07, 09:20 AM

Elamghar sat with rapt attention at Katarina's story, nearly forgetting the tea in his hands. This was a tale he knew all too well. He gathers his thoughts a moment as the others relate it to their own stories before adding his own take. "As fantastic as your tale is, I'm afraid it's told a thousand times over in the Court. Family is preferable to strangers, and especially to those not of the blood..." he doesn't hide the personal nature of this comment, "But ultimately the Drow are out for one thing: themselves. I was fortunate enough to learn this young, but I act on self-preservation rather than bloodthirst, much like you in your story, Katarina." He pauses again as Imsim continues with his own tale.

Again, the pale drow is silent a moment, processing Imsim's story. "Today is one such eon as the sands are spreading once again." His mind wandered to the image of hour glass, so much sand spilling endlessly upon itself. "If the mind is using souls as energy, then all of Peshmi's previous... test subjects, let's call them... that came before us are only feeding the thing. Their death is fueling the very activity they're trying to prevent. We will not fall prey to this same mistake thanks to your cautionary tale."

Drawing the book from his pack, Elamghar offers it to Imsim, placing it on the floor before the small creature. "The second half of our gift to you that you may learn more of Fera's native life... while it still exists," he adds gravely given the subject of their discussion. "Perhaps you will find something to complement your oasis."

"While I've little interest in bursting into sand, knowing more about the origin of this entity would be helpful as we devise a plan to halt its progress. To that end I would ask a favor of you, Imsim. If Naydleh has killed many in this desert, it seems only fitting she become one with it. With your permission we would bring her with us to the source of this power to see first hand what happens when a soul is consumed by it - and to prevent us from meeting the same fate. A purposeful, poetic death that might save lives so others can visit you in the future."

Hypersmith
2018-08-07, 11:58 AM
"There are two routes to the core of the desert. The shorter is the direct path, cutting from here towards the northwest center of the desert. The longer route will have you cut further east till you reach the ocean, follow the coast northwards till you reach the old ruins, the travel directly west."

"As for the beholder, I'd suggest you start in Yuuthrub or Sigren, over in Tsal. It's a heaven for shady types who would know where to find one."

He leans forward and accepts the gift, running a finger over the spine and thumbing expertly through the pages.
"A welcome addition. As you can imagine, most of the plants that grow here are tended to, and would die without assistance. Unfortunately I must deny your request. Naydleh is mine to deal with, and as native to the sands as I. The human form is only a guise. She will kill you, or slip away among the dunes. No, I want her to serve her sentence. I can, however, offer you this in return."

The door to the west swings open, and a very familiar looking face pokes out. The second Imsim steps forward and offers a small wrapped package to your host before disappearing into the room beyond. You get a glimpse of it, shelves up to the ceiling lined with books.

"Some healing herbs never go amiss. These are from the feywild. They might offer some stability against the unnatural in a pinch too. Call it a gamble. Chew them, make them into tea, just ingest them. They won't wither or die from the heat, so don't worry about spending precious water on them. "

miinstrel
2018-08-07, 12:28 PM

Elamghar accepts the small bundle of herbs in return. "Ahhhh, it seems we mustn't trust our eyes in this desert lest we fall prey to its many dangers," he replies, speaking most directly about the prisoner but perhaps suggesting the other illusions he witnessed here today as well. "Thank you, Imsim. You've been a very generous host. I hope we can speak again on our way out of the desert unlike those before us."

If the conversation seems to be wrapping up, Elamghar presses his hand into the illusory pillow to lift himself to a standing position. "Is there anything else we can do for you? Or news you would like delivered to Tsal should our journeys take us that way?"

Hypersmith
2018-08-07, 01:05 PM
Imsim nods in acceptance of Elamghar's comment. "None. In fact, I much prefer guests who are lost over guests who come seeking me out. Do not take the desert lightly. Natural deserts are dangerous enough. These warped sands will wipe you away and not notice the difference."

Jormengand
2018-08-08, 06:27 AM
Katarina stood up without using her hands to help her. "I thank you, Imsim, for your hospitality and your tale. May our paths cross again." She turned to her companions. "Come, then, my companions. Let us go and do our duty: others have failed, for certain, and how could they not, against such an impossible foe? But, there are none among us who are given to do the predictable - we scions of anarchy, products of chaos, children of ruin, may succeed when none others have - or at least, we have to hope so."

She winked. "Besides, I'm good at cheating death."

miinstrel
2018-08-08, 08:37 AM

"I'm just good at cheating," Elamghar boasts with a smile as they return to the car. He veers off toward the tomb, standing outside it but at an angle so he can see Naydleh. "Show me your true face," he commands knowingly.
He shakes his head slowly. "Imsim has given us everything we need and no reason to spark his ire. You will not be freed today and chances are we'll never see your face again... at least not this one. Show me the real you that we might speak honestly a moment."

Persuasion if needed? [roll0]

If she still refuses, Elamghar will attempt casting Suggestion on her to drop the disguise.
And if that still fails he gives up and heads for their little caravan to depart.

Hypersmith
2018-08-08, 10:46 AM
Naydleh glares sullenly at Elamghar for a few seconds before her flawless skin puckers and caves inwards, crumbling away. She still retains her humanoid shape, but her body appears to simply be a shifting mass of semi-solid sand, lacking distinctive features completely. Her voice is a low whistling hiss.
"Now begone."

Irish Musician
2018-08-08, 11:06 AM

Barden deeply bows to Imsim before leaving, "Thank you for your generous time." As they leave, and the woman shows her true form, Barden shakes his head at the pale drow. "You know if she ever breaks free, she is coming after you, right?" He chuckles a bit.

miinstrel
2018-08-08, 11:27 AM

"Wouldn't be the first," he retorts, hopping into the motorized carriage. "Shapeless enemies are a staple back home, but more in the social sense... never seen one so truly formless before. I have a feeling this desert has a great deal yet to show us..."

Barbarian MD
2018-08-08, 01:32 PM
Kore is looking at the dwindling light and the shifting sands.

"I don't think traveling at night in this terrain is a good idea. I think it's time we made camp."

Jormengand
2018-08-08, 02:40 PM
"Yes, sleep is a good idea. Though it's practically only the afternoon for One-Eye. 'S why he was asleep all the way here. So he should be able to keep watch for us. Might want to take turns at watch anyway, of course; three eyes are probably better than one."

Barbarian MD
2018-08-10, 08:48 AM
Kore trudges across the sand to his car. If no one suggests otherwise, he unloads the casks of water so that they don't fall when the car disappears and begins setting up camp.

miinstrel
2018-08-10, 09:23 AM

"I suppose it has been a long day..." Elamghar agrees, assisting with the camp setup and feeding and watering his horse. As they sit on their bedrolls and settle in for the evening he opens up a discussion on what they just learned. "So we're to stop the essence of change... quite the feat your archmage demands of us, Katarina. Though it sounds like you're accustomed to difficult requests at his hands. Do you think he knows the path he's sent you down? Peshmi didn't seem to know what lay down this path - only Imsim, and even then only because of what I perceive as incredible age. Though who knows how much truth there is to his tale - perhaps it's a metaphor for mankind... or war..."

Jormengand
2018-08-10, 10:59 AM
"Voth, or Tori? Voth might. Tori probably doesn't, or he wouldn't keep sending random people. But I'm not certain that Voth is eager to get rid of me, either. He was prepared to wait almost a year to keep me alive, after all..." She flinched, as though in pain.

"As for mankind, or war, what do they have to do with beholders? And why would the gods die if war died? Wars create graveyards, not deserts... no, either it is a lie, or it is literal truth. It's no metaphor."

She sighed. "I suppose we might do well to sleep on it. I feel about ready to pass out already."

Hypersmith
2018-08-11, 01:00 PM
The dream comes unbidden. The serene darkness of sleep becomes the blackness of the grave between one moment and the next. A cold wind whistles around you, and you shiver, your skin prickling.
You hang in the air, cruising over the desert at night, smooth strokes of your wings carrying you. The stars seem to have reflected onto the earth, a million pinpricks of light shining from the ground below. The sky above is cold and dark.
You begin to circle down below, towards a dune lacking any glimmering lights.

On it is the skull of an Orc. From the empty second socket, the head of a raven emerges. It breaks it's neck struggling to free itself.

Another raven flies down to join you, but a spider leaps from a burrow in the sand and pulls it underneath.

There is the sound of thunder, and a third raven plummets and thumps into the ground beside you, decaying quickly into a skeleton.

Three motes of light gather where the ravens died, growing till they match the endless blue-white sea. The light flickers and twists towards you, forming a spiral with you at it's center. You look down at your skeletal form and freeze.

The dream fades into blackness, broken by a flurry of feathers that startles you awake.

As you stir, you notice a single decaying raven feather in hand.

Your dream comes in spurts, barely recalled when you wake. Your sword in a large fist, dripping blood. An endless grin in a toothy maw. The screams of the dying.

The night passes mostly uneventful. The morning heat leeches away into terrible cold, leaving you shivering. Still, you manage to fall asleep at the edge of the oasis. For those of you on watch, nothing is out of the ordinary. The water reflects the light of the moon and stars, and you find yourself occupied slapping at sand midges trying to make a meal of you. The dark corpse of the bulette draws the attention of a family of foxes who tear into its belly for a while before slipping away.

Morning comes without issue.

Jormengand
2018-08-11, 02:53 PM
Katarina awoke, and readied herself swiftly, reattaching her sword bracers and grabbing the rest of her equipment. "All right, we all good? We're good? Wake up, for Mystra's sake. Or the Raven Queen's sake, or whoever's. Let's go. No time like five minutes ago!"

Her night had been mostly without untoward dreams, but not entirely...

"KEEP THE KNIFE TO REMEMBER ME BY."

She shuddered, but masked her discomfort by projecting it towards her allies. "So, potentially relevant definitely dangerous beholder, or definitely relevant potentially dangerous mind-thing? I vote mind-thing." Maybe if she'd been Voth or perhaps even Tori, she'd have taken the beholder of relatively known power over Imsim's "Mind" of unknown power, seeing as a beholder would be a walk in the park for the likes of Voth, but the Mind could for all anyone knew be strong enough to crush even him. However, a beholder would annihilate Katarina and her companions in moments, while the Mind could for all anyone knew be weak enough that even they could crush it.

...of course Katarina's first instinct was combat. She was, after all, a Ynnova.

She grabbed her book. "I need a couple of minutes to prepare spells, but I can do that while we travel. So let's travel."

Barbarian MD
2018-08-11, 05:08 PM
Kore wakes slowly, stretching, and stands, shaking the sand off. He starts to break camp, eating a light breakfast while mulling over the options. Going after a Beholder seems like an unnecessary and dangerous delay.

"I don't see any benefit to looking fer trouble with the beholder..."

Edit: While breaking camp, Kore considered his dreams. He didn't usually dream, or--at least--didnt remember them. He didn't put much stock in dreams, though his people certainly did. His aunt would give him a three-hour discourse on it if he told her of it, if it weren't for the fact that she'd been dead for 8 years. It seemed ominous.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-14, 12:03 AM
Kore conjures his car and yells to Katarina over the roar of the engine. "Hop in!"

He brings his goggles down over his face and eases into gear, presumably following their course for the interior of the desert.

I vote for either a normal or slow pace to better keep watch and to forage as needed. I don't think we're in too much of a hurry, and the terrain might be difficult in places.

Hypersmith
2018-08-14, 06:42 AM
As you head out towards the inner desert, striking almost directly north, you're greeted with the blazing heat once more, despite the early morning light. Another long day of riding is ahead of you. With the sun on your right, you leave the oasis, striking a steady pace. The steady clanking of the vehicle and clopping of hooves lulls you into a soothing rhythm.

Those of you that drank Imsim's tea gain an additional hit die today.

About an hour into your ride, you notice glinting off in the direction of the oasis. It's difficult to tell if it's just water, or something different. As you try to consider it while traveling in the opposite direction, you see a solitary figure a few miles off to the north. It's trudging slowly southeast.

Irish Musician
2018-08-14, 08:45 AM

Barden shoots his eyes open, but doesn't not stir otherwise. He often had dreams, usually brought to him by his Queen telling him of her will, but this one was different. This didn't seem to tell him her will, he did not feel, but instead seemed like an omen.

He packed his things and start off with the others. He didn't speak, but was lost deep in thought while they traveled.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-14, 06:55 PM
Upon noticing the figure, Kore signals to the others with his hands and starts to veer in the direction of the figure, looking back to ensure the others follow.

miinstrel
2018-08-17, 11:52 AM

Elamghar follow's Kore's hand to the distant figure and strains his eyes against the sun thankful he didn't inherit his dark ancestor's sensitivity to the light... this would be hellish otherwise. As they draw closer he curls up a bit of wire in his hand and presses it to his mouth.

Casting Message at the figure when we're within 120 ft:

We come peacefully and merely wish to hear of your travels through the wastes and perhaps gain some directions.

Hypersmith
2018-08-17, 03:46 PM
As you draw nearer to the distant figure, you see that they are cloaked in light, dirt-colored clothes over leather armor, a shawl and turban wrapped around his head making it difficult to pick out any of their facial features. Still, their movements are doddering and slow, shuffling steps southwards. The scabbard at their side is empty. The longer you look at them, the stranger it becomes that their shuffling gait has not ceased, nor have they looked towards you. With no exposed skin, it's surprising the individual hasn't boiled themselves alive.

Eventually, you close the distance enough that you can communicate with them via Message. Around the same time, a small, merciful breeze picks up. It's light enough not to whip any sand into you, providing some much needed relief.

The message garners a one word reply, whispered from parched lips. "Water...." His face is dried and decayed, with no visible eyes, only dark sockets. Whatever it is, it puts on a sudden turn of speed as it leaps towards you.

Katarina:[roll0]
Barden:[roll1]
Kore:[roll2]
Elamghar:[roll3]
Thirster:[roll4]

Barbarian MD
2018-08-20, 10:32 PM
Kore shouts above the desert winds as he stands up, drawing back his bow.

"Kill it!"

Hypersmith
2018-08-22, 11:10 PM

Barden looks at the distance between the rest of the party and the creature, then raises his arm to catch Kore's attention. "Why waste ourselves fighting here? Let's just ride away."

He turns his horse and flicks the reins to widen the distance between himself and the attacking creature.

The creature dashes forwards wildly, covering sixty feet in it's haste. The distance between you is still expansive, but it shows no signs of slowing down it's rush towards the vehicle. It certainly has the appearance of one of the dead, though what flesh clings to it is so dry it's difficult to tell if the flesh is alive or dead.

Lets get going! August has been pretty delayed, but we can get rolling.
Rough map puts the monster 120 feet away form car to the north, currently closed to 60. Barden swung about 60 feet northeast, putting him about 45 feet to the east of the creature at the end of it's turn. Katarina, feel free to decide where you are.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-23, 01:00 PM
Kore turns the wheel at a leisurely pace, minding the shifting sands, and follows. He grasps the wheel with his left hand and a crossbow materializes in his empty right hand, spectral energies quickly streaming away behind into the ether as the car speeds along.

Move: drive away.
Action: conjure his pact weapon

miinstrel
2018-08-26, 08:40 AM

Taking inspiration from Barden's suggestion to just ignore the thing, Elamghar begins to weave a few arcane words, keeping the last of the phrase on the tip of his tongue should the spell be needed.

Readying action to cast Dissonant Whispers if the thirster closes to melee with any party member. WIS save DC 13.
Fail = [roll0] psychic damage + immediately use reaction to move its speed away from me.
Success = half damage.

Jormengand
2018-08-26, 03:26 PM
Katarina readied her rapier as she moved to hide [roll0], rogue that she was, within the vehicle. She then readied herself to stab at the creature from her vantage point if it moved too close.

Hide with cunning action, then ready to attack from hiding, which should (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingEachAbility.htm#hiding) give me advantage: [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] (crit [roll5] [roll6])

I don't know what your ruling is on surprising people in the middle of combat: it seems like you should be able to do it, but it doesn't actually do anything unless a special ability tells it to. Naturally, I have a special ability which tells it to.

Hypersmith
2018-08-26, 09:58 PM

Barden keeps a close eye on the pursuit, but quickly outpaces it without issue. He doesn't comment on it further, simply turning to continue on the direct path.

Despite its best efforts, there's simply no way the creature can catch up to the vehicle on two legs. It falls further and further behind you, eventually slowing down its sprint to the same lope as before. It falls quickly from view soon after as you continue to head north. The newfound wind is a pleasent companion.

Barden spots it first. The hazy horizon breaks, as though a large structure or small town is in the distance. It grows with rapid speed as you continue towards it, the sky around it dark. There is an odd smell on the wind, like freshly turned ash. You check and double check your course, but by all estimates should still have a significant way to go to the center of the desert. The wind howls around you, and your horses shuffle nervously, slowing down stubbornly.

The dark spot on the horizon grows.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-26, 10:10 PM
Kore brings the car to a complete stop, trying g to judge distance and whether the darkness is approaching them. Was this a sandstorm? If so, they'd need to take cover.

miinstrel
2018-08-28, 11:49 AM

"Eaaaasy, Nadir," Elamghar soothes, patting the side of his horse's neck. "We're about 2 days early from reaching our destination... this isn't supposed to be here," he observes. Since they're stopped he tries to gauge if the darkness is truly growing on its own or if it was just their forward movement that made it only appear to grow nearer.

Hypersmith
2018-08-28, 09:47 PM
It doesn't appear to grow any larger as you stand still. It remains a distinct smear on the horizon, darker than the land around it.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-29, 06:14 AM
Satisfied that it doesn't appear to be a dust storm, Kore shifts into gear again and continues their drive.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-29, 04:04 PM
"Elamghar, what d'ya make a that?"

miinstrel
2018-08-29, 05:06 PM

"Darkness rarely brings cheer when found in the sun..." he replies simply, quietly keeping an eye on the haze as they approach and watching for other figures that may approach like that thing they passed a few hours ago.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-29, 05:24 PM
"How long before we're dead, ya think? I give it about 3 days." He says with a toothy grin.

Hypersmith
2018-08-30, 10:20 AM
Katarina chuckles at Kore. "It'll take more than some wind and sun to off me. And I don't intend to let some primordial force kill me either."

All is calm as you continue forwards, the constant wind continuing to relieve you from the effects of the heat. The dark haze remains in place, and the seemingly endless expanse offers you no glimpses of other figures. As you draw closer, you identify that what you're seeing is a single column of sand whipped into a frenzy, flying high into the sky.

Then, the disturbance disappears. Between one moment and the next, it abruptly stops, the sky and horizon clearing. The wind subsides, and you without it's presence how intensely hot it is. The edges of your sight glaze over because of the oppressive temperature, and anyone wearing metal armor suddenly feels incredibly uncomfortable.

Make a DC 5 con check vs 1 level of exhaustion. Disadvantage if wearing metal armor.

In the distance, you spot another figure where the column of wind was. It's sprinting in your direction.

Barbarian MD
2018-08-30, 06:13 PM
Perception [roll0]
Con save [roll1]
Con save [roll2]

Need to find a way to put a scope on my crossbow...

Kore continues to drive at a steady pace, crossbow in hand, and begins to slow to a stop when the figure is about 200 feet away. He stands up in his seat and aims down the sight, waiting for a sign.

If the figure is still coming towards them at 120', he yells, "That's close enough! What's yet business?"

miinstrel
2018-08-30, 08:18 PM

"Did they come out of the center of that dust storm?" Elamghar asks the group unsure of what exactly he was seeing. Sharing Kore's concern given their last encounter he points the small crossbow strapped to his wrist at the figure shouting after Kore "and you better have more to say than 'water'..."

Perception: [roll0]

CON exhaustion: [roll1]

Hypersmith
2018-08-31, 08:13 PM

Barden shifts in his saddle as the running figure draws into clear sight, his sword held ready. "Undead. There will be one fewer soon."

Katarina's glowing sheen of sweat fades as she summons a spyglass to watch the creature approach. She calls out to Elamghar. "Yes, I believe so. I'm uneasy about this....
One-eye takes to the air, circling above you all.

The undead stops a fair distance away, looking down at you all from atop a large dune. It looks down at you all for a long, tense moment after you call out to it. Then it speaks, harsh words grated out between dry teeth. The lack of a tongue or lips seems to be a significant hindrance, and the language is lost on most of you.

"What do you intend, trespassers? Come to perish like the rest?"

Barbarian MD
2018-09-01, 05:50 AM
"Did any of you understand that?"

miinstrel
2018-09-01, 08:06 AM
"Only to understand," he calls out diplomatically. "What connection do you have to this desert, creature? Why does it spread with such ferocity in recent weeks?"

Elamghar speaks, his words answering Kore's question.

Hypersmith
2018-09-01, 08:41 AM
"We will it, by order of the Pharoah. The desert will become an empire."
The undead creaks as it sways gently back and forth. It seems content to watch your reactions.

Barden hisses. "Why converse with this abomination? Free it's soul and kill it."

miinstrel
2018-09-01, 08:50 AM
"We're here to learn, aren't we?" Elamghar says out the side of his mouth to Barden. " 'The pharaoh' is willing the desert to expand," he explains.

"This desert was an empire once, long ago. Fertile and lush. Where is your pharaoh? We might suggest an alternative that you would have an even more prosperous and fruitful land to rule."

Hypersmith
2018-09-01, 10:06 AM
"The pharaoh sits on the burning throne. I will call one of the viziers to consult."

The wind springs up once more, a brief and powerful flash that sends a column of dust soaring into the sky. You all are outside the radius of the stronger winds, but that doesn't prevent the falling sand from cascading down on you.

The undead turns and looks off to the north. The distant horizon doesn't seem to conceal anything. It continues to stare off until a hazy column rises on the edge of your vision.

The undead turns to face Elamghar. "Come. The vizier will speak. Leave all your waters here. We will dispose of them."

miinstrel
2018-09-01, 12:06 PM
”A moment please while I discuss with my colleagues.”

Turning to his group and speaking softly enough the undead hopefully can’t hear him he relays the conversation thus far. “We obviously can’t dump our water. And I don’t especially trust him, but a dead creature open to parlay is a new one for me... what do you all think? If we can keep our water I say we go hear what this vizier has to say.”

Hypersmith
2018-09-01, 09:24 PM
Barden looks irritated as he brushes sand off himself and his horse. "New, but not unheard of. The most dangerous dead are those with the intelligence to speak. We shouldn't have let it communicate with others in the first place."

Katarina shakes her head between gulps of conjured water. "I'm just... having trouble seeing how this connects to a beholder. Or the mind for that matter. And even if they escorted us right where we want to go, aren't we playing by their rules? I don't like it."

Barbarian MD
2018-09-02, 01:23 AM
"Leave our water? Out of the question. We'll become a dried out undead husk his like that first creature, no doubt."

miinstrel
2018-09-03, 11:45 AM

"Rules are for games. I doubt this 'mind' honors any laws we would recognize. Best get comfortable with being uncomfortable."

"I'm sure you understand our refusal to dump the water. Our destination is the pyramid at the center of this desert. If that is where we might meet with your vizier then we will go with you. Otherwise I hope you'll take our word that this is truly a fact-finding trip, nothing more, and we'll be on our own way alone," he counters firmly, unsure how the undead would respond.

"If he runs, we need to take him out before he can warn his friends..." Elamghar says out the side of his mouth.

Barbarian MD
2018-09-03, 11:47 AM
Kore readies an action to fire on the creature if it should show any hostility or try to flee.

Meanwhile, he keeps his eyes peeled for other threats.

Hypersmith
2018-09-03, 11:05 PM
"to advance, dispose of the water or it will be disposed of." The grating voice speaks in a plain monotone.
"You will become part of the desert in time. Now, or later is the same in my eyes."

Barbarian MD
2018-09-03, 11:51 PM
"Hell no. Can I shoot it? I'm going to shoot it."

miinstrel
2018-09-04, 02:49 PM

"We best remove your eyes then."
A tense moment of silence passes before Elamghar utters two final words that everyone, living and dead, will understand... "Kill it."

Presume you'll be rolling initiative now, so I'll hold on posting any actual actions since there's no surprise round.

miinstrel
2018-09-04, 04:57 PM

As he issues the command, Elamghar brings his crossbow back up, releasing a bolt at the undead creature before them, shouting to Kore "Send it back to the sand from whence it came!"

Damage: [roll1] + sneak? (if Barden or Katarina end up in melee with it) [roll2]

BA: Inspire Kore (add d6 to any d20 roll).

Barbarian MD
2018-09-04, 05:10 PM
The bolt is loosed before Elamghar can finish his sentence, seeking its target and hopefully slamming into it.

Move: to range of 90 feet.
Bonus: Hex [roll0] necrotic damage. May be immune. Kore doesn't know this. He gets disadvantage on strength checks.
Attack: Crossbow [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Maneuver: Pushing Attack [roll3] damage. Strength save (disadvantage from hex) DC 11 or get pushed back 15 feet.

Hypersmith
2018-09-04, 08:07 PM
Barden's mount leaps forwards, his sword flashing out to strike at the undead. He is grim and determined, silently focusing on his blows. One-eye swoops in to grant a momentary distraction.

Katarina raises her crossbow and fires off a quick shot, her horse galloping around to try and get behind the foe. "Should have listened." she smirks.

Forge Longsword[roll0]
Advantage [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit [roll3]
[roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Potential crit [roll6]
Sneak attack +potential crit [roll7] [roll8]

Hypersmith
2018-09-04, 08:45 PM
The series of attacks sink rapidly into the undead, which moves sluggishly in it's attempts to avoid them. The bolts sink in solidly, but it pays them little attention, the searing magic arrow and blade quickly becoming it's focus.

The wind stirs, then blasts into full, furious force around the Defiler. It doesn't speak, but you can see it's eyes glowing like coals within the localized storm of sand. Barden plunges out of sight, and the winds buffet you, whipping your clothes around your body and flinging sands up into the air. A solid thirty feet around the defiler are totally obscured from your view due to the raging sands.

Barden's horse rears suddenly in the winds, tossing him to the ground and bolting. He manages to avoid tumbling into the ground, but the defiler is immediately there, it's hands lashing out with two powerful blows.

Defiler Attacks:
1:[roll0] 2:[roll1]
damage 1: [roll2] damage 2:[roll3]

If hit by both, DC 13 con save for Barden: [roll4]

Turn count: 1
Sneak attacks do apply
Ranged attacks into and within the storm are at disadvantage.
Need to make an animal handling check to guide a horse into the duststorm, which moves with the defiler in a 30 foot area.
Think that's everything.

miinstrel
2018-09-05, 08:01 AM

Elamghar hops out of the car and dashes forward into the sandstorm to find Barden and continue putting this creature to rest, holding his cloak up against the stinging winds and loosing a bolt at the shadowy figure of the undead ahead.

Move forward.
BA: Cunning action dash forward (don't think this quite puts me in melee, correct?)

Attack: [roll0] / disadv [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + sneak [roll3]

Barbarian MD
2018-09-05, 09:19 AM
Kore watches the dust storm pick up with wide eyes. He sights down the crossbow again, taking careful aim, and looses again. It's probably time to enter melee, but he's loathe to do so.

Hex still active: disadvantage on strength
Attack: Crossbow [roll0] + [roll1]
Disadvantage [roll2] + [roll3]
(Precision attack unless both those are fantastic without it) they were fantastic.
Still have bardic inspiration available
Damage: [roll4] magical + [roll5] necrotic

Hypersmith
2018-09-06, 04:19 PM
Despite the howling winds, Kore's arrow finds it's target, the feathered shaft sticking in the corpse. Elamghar's closer range attack misses, the winds lashing sand into his eyes and throwing off his attacking at the last moment. The defiler turns to begin delivering more blows to Barden -

Katarina chants quickly, the ground underneath the defiler growing slick atop the sands. It struggles for a moment with it's balance - [roll0]. One-eye attempts to fly into the fray to assist Elamghar and struggles against the winds. [roll1]

Barden glows for a moment with healing light [roll2], but he presses the advantage of his blade and the grease to attack the creature once more - [roll3] [roll4], lunging with his enhanced blade. [roll5] [roll6]

Hypersmith
2018-09-06, 04:37 PM
The winds seem to whistle underneath the defiler, propping it upright despite the unsure footing of both sand and grease. One eye struggles to get through the winds, unable to make his way to Elammghar in time.
The distraction is enough for Barden to sink his blade through the creature's side, the blow marked by the distinctive sound of cracking bone.

The Defiler stumbles for a few moments longer - the multiple arrows have begun to stack up, hindering it's movements significantly. It does not raise an arm to strike again. Instead, the winds simply continue to pick up. To Kore and Katarina, the pair within the storm disappear from view momentarily as the intensity ramps up by several orders of magnitude, the dust billowing high into the sky. If it wasn't clear before, the miniature storm is clearly the workings of this creature. You can see them inside a moment later, the intensity only a few seconds long.

For Elmghar, the dust is choking and the surroundings suddenly dark. You can barely make out Barden facing down the collapsing Defiler. The sands sting all the exposed flesh you have, raking away skin with it's intensity. The effect is far worse for Barden, caught in the epicenter. The sand is flaying him alive, blood running freely and being blown away due to it's lacerating speed.

He falls to the ground as it subsides.

Dex Save DC 14: [roll0]
Sandlash [roll1] and recharge [roll2]

Turn count is at 0, top of the round.

Elamghar was just outside the radius of the effect if I'm not messing up distances.
Anyone looking outside -> in, continued disadvantage.

Barbarian MD
2018-09-10, 08:54 AM
No bloke deserves this, Kore thinks for a moment, his crossbow wavering between two targets. In the end he leans towards self-preservation and fires another bolt at the defiler. Barden would perhaps keep it busy for another few crucial seconds. Sorry, mate.

Sorry, fell off my radar.

Hex still active: disadvantage on strength
Attack: Crossbow [roll0]
Disadvantage [roll1]

Still have bardic inspiration available

Damage: [roll2] magical + [roll3] necrotic

Hypersmith
2018-09-11, 01:25 PM
Kore's arrow flies just wide of his target, ineffectually sinking into the sand.

Barden takes a shuddering breath on the ground. He's still alive. The Defiler turns to face Elamghar threateningly. It seems to be on it's last leg, held upright by the winds as much as it's own strength.

One eye lands on Katarina's shoulder and whispers an adjustment to her shot. She breathes out steadily before loosing it, staying calm and focusing on the foe.

Will avoid making a death save for Barden till Defiler's turn.
Kat crossbow attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit [roll2]

Hypersmith
2018-09-16, 07:53 PM

"We need you yet -" Elamghar raises his hand, a pulse of shockingly cool energy washing through Barden, not losing a beat and following the attack up with a lunge towards the undead.

Barden gasps as he comes to, grunting as he pulls himself up to continue fighting. His style is more withdrawn now, more cautious in his approach to the fight.

Elamghar:Healing Word [roll0]
Dagger [roll1] [roll2] sneak [roll3]

Barden:
1 ki -Patient Defense
Longsword [roll4] Damage [roll5]

Hypersmith
2018-09-16, 08:06 PM
A series of bones and dried flesh can only stay together so long - the undead collapses under the weight of the final two blows, an unceremonious end. You wait a moment, but the wind doesn't die down. The swirling spiral remains concentrated over the collapsed, lifeless form which is rapidly disintegrating. The dust that remains of the bones mixes into the sands that are shifted about by the wind, and it's finally over. The blazing heat returns, and the horses seem jittery, but calm.

For a few moments, you enjoy the silence and your escape from the undead's attempts to kill you. Then, to the north, another column of dust rises far on the horizon, a smear in the clear unbroken merging of brown and pale blue. The way ahead will be difficult at best.

Barbarian MD
2018-09-16, 09:36 PM
"Is everyone alright? Let's move quickly. Maybe we could skirt around it if we angle to one side?"

Kore plops himself heavily back down into the seat and revs the engine, ready to take off in whatever direction the others see best.

Barbarian MD
2018-09-20, 01:15 AM
With everyone loaded, Kore shifts the car into drive, pausing only briefly to glance at the spot that the undead feel as they drive by.

Perception [roll0]