PDA

View Full Version : Doomslayer (Doom Guy) encounters a Warlock

Spectrulus
2018-07-02, 03:49 PM
Howdy! I'm at a point in a rather silly campaign where my players are about to enter hell and release the doomslayer ala opening scene Doom 2016. One member of the party is a Great Old One warlock, I.E. Space demon tentacle abominations.

What I'm trying to figure out is if Doom Guy would try to kill the character. The character isn't inherently evil, but commonly carries around an arcane focus of a demon skull.

My instinct says Doom Guy 9/10 situations shoots the character, threatens anyone trying to resurrect them too. Doom Guy hates demons, but isn't inherently a "good guy," either.

FYI the player would probably laugh it off and reroll.

Any thoughts?

ijon
2018-07-02, 04:29 PM
if the warlock is a patron of an old one, he should be more worried about ranger (http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/291/669/897.jpg), not doomguy

but yeah, the demon skull is probably a good way to get a big ol fist through your face

halfeye
2018-07-02, 06:45 PM
is a patron of an old one
I think that phrase is backward, a patron is a superior figure that backs someone junior to themselves.

Psyren
2018-07-02, 06:49 PM
Quake Guy might be the better fit if your warlock is Lovecraft-inspired.

FYI the player would probably laugh it off and reroll.

Any thoughts?

Even if this turns out to be true, the question is - what would gibbing their character add to the campaign?

Slipperychicken
2018-07-03, 01:10 AM
You could have bulletproof glass or a shield protect him briefly so he can escape

"In what seem to be your final moments, you see down the double-barrels of the doom-slayer's weapon as twenty pieces of buckshot fly at your face. Your life flashes before your eyes. The layers of reinforced glass shatter in an instant, apparently stopping the pellets or at least directing their path away from your weak flesh, their sacrifice giving you a moment to escape as the marine loads his next volley."

It's also possible to have a brief window while the doomslayer wakes up for the party to move on. Or just have his patron find the situation hilarious and send the warlock back to life after doomguy moves on to fight more demons. Or have clues that the doomslayer will slaughter people with obvious demon-paraphernalia like the warlock, such as a mural depicting him dismembering a similar-looking cultist. There are options here.

hamishspence
2018-07-03, 01:22 AM
I think that phrase is backward, a patron is a superior figure that backs someone junior to themselves.

True - but it can also mean "customer"

So, the Great Old One could be, metaphorically speaking, running a business by lending power to Warlords in return for some ineffable gain - and the warlocks are its "patrons".

Cespenar
2018-07-03, 02:29 AM
He wouldn't automatically kill a human just because he's carrying a skull, though.

I can picture a funny scene where he notices the skull, points the shotgun at the warlock, who just drops the skull and raises his hands guiltily. Then the Doomguy walks off.

ross
2018-07-04, 07:56 PM
Clearly DOOMSLAYER sees someone carrying a trophy of their recent slaughtering of vile demons, and fist bumps him.

halfeye
2018-07-05, 10:46 AM
True - but it can also mean "customer"

So, the Great Old One could be, metaphorically speaking, running a business by lending power to Warlords in return for some ineffable gain - and the warlocks are its "patrons".

The customer is always right.

Customers are in a superior position to sellers, so long as there is a choice of sellers. That's why junkies are not customers, and these guys wouldn't be either.

The right word might be "protege", though that doesn't feel entirely right either.

ATHATH
2018-07-05, 12:33 PM
Clearly DOOMSLAYER sees someone carrying a trophy of their recent slaughtering of vile demons, and fist bumps him.
I support this idea, and it'd probably be funnier than the "Doom Guy shoots a PC" idea.

Knaight
2018-07-10, 01:52 AM
Customers are in a superior position to sellers, so long as there is a choice of sellers. That's why junkies are not customers, and these guys wouldn't be either.

The right word might be "protege", though that doesn't feel entirely right either.

"Customer" is a broad term that includes the numerous times the customers aren't in a superior position to sellers - it certainly applies to utilities.

That said, for a warlock something like "client" might be a better fit.

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-10, 03:20 PM
Now I'm just imagining Cthulhu trying to direct potential cultists to his Patreon page, LMAO :smallamused::smallamused:

Spectrulus
2018-07-11, 12:16 AM
Based on what y'all said I gave the warlock a chance, but he screwed it up.

At one point his imp familiar came back with a trinket it had been told to fetch, and The Doom Guy saw it, shot it, and then stomped on the corpse. The warlock got upset, explained how he had just killed his imp companion, gifted by... and then he took a point blank shot to the face too.

I gave the party enough "loot" to pay a druid for a reincarnation spell, and we'll see where it goes from there. Thanks again!

JBPuffin
2018-07-11, 10:23 PM
Why would Doom Guy want to kill the Warlock? Like, how blatantly demonic/enthralled by evil is this dude that, on sight, Doomguy’s just gonna blow his head off?

Kane0
2018-07-12, 08:58 PM
Based on what y'all said I gave the warlock a chance, but he screwed it up.

At one point his imp familiar came back with a trinket it had been told to fetch, and The Doom Guy saw it, shot it, and then stomped on the corpse. The warlock got upset, explained how he had just killed his imp companion, gifted by... and then he took a point blank shot to the face too.

I gave the party enough "loot" to pay a druid for a reincarnation spell, and we'll see where it goes from there. Thanks again!

That's the Doomguy I know and love. You barely convince him to not immediately kill and destroy everyone and everything indiscriminately, then as soon as something demonic happens in his presence he instantly reverts to blind rage mode.

WindStruck
2018-07-13, 05:48 PM
So I guess your warlock is an example of "safe" levels of demonic presence?