PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 5th level Ranger: what now?

Klaus Teufel
2018-07-03, 12:06 AM
I'm playing a 5th level Gnoll Ranger (str19 with ogre-strength gloves, Dex 16).

My party is a motley crew, such that I'm the melee dps/tank of the party(!)

So should I multiclass? Fighter - or Rogue?

Currently I use Battleaxe+1 with shield, with a bonus 1d4 bite.

This forum seems to contain a lot of system experts, so I await your advice!

Kane0
2018-07-03, 12:10 AM
Well now that you have second attack you're pretty free to branch out unless you're in it for the casting progression.
2 levels of fighter gives you a second style, a BA heal and the excellent action surge for only a small investment.
Likewise 2 levels in barbarian gives you rage if you're the primary bruiser, as well as reckless attack which seems very appropriate for gnoll.
Rogue is also an option with sneak attack for damage and a suite of utility and defensive abilities, though level 5-7 is a while away Uncanny Dodge and Evasion are a considerable boost to your survivability.

All are good options, it's mostly a choice of what your character is like and what you find most interesting.

CTurbo
2018-07-03, 01:07 AM
What are your other stats?

What Ranger subclass?

Is this UA Revised Ranger or PHB?

TheUser
2018-07-03, 06:32 AM
Multi-class Rogue.

You won't be dissapointed

nickl_2000
2018-07-03, 07:02 AM
Cleric - Give yourself Bless, cantrips, and continue your spell progression. Plus you can get heavy armor prof if you choose that.
Rogue - after 2 level your get bonus action disengage/dash and sneak attacks. However, you will need a different weapon for sneak attack since you can't with a battleaxe or your bite. This seems less effective since you already have a bonus action available and you aren't using finesse weapons. Plus it doesn't lend well to the tank role.
Fighter - Get heavy armor, action surge, second wind, and another fighting style (duelist or armored would be good for your style). However, you lose you spell progression
Barbarian - Resistance when raging and more damage based on your strength (if you have the base strength to do it). However, raging would break concentration on hunter's mark if you are using it.

Being both the tank and DPS makes it a little more difficult, but that screams Barbarian to me. Which plays well with your strength scores and weapon choice.

ImproperJustice
2018-07-03, 07:04 AM

What Ranger subclass?

That. These are important questions.
If you were revised, conventional wisdom is to go Ranger 6 for great favored enemy and 3 caster levels to then branch into a full caster class like Cleric or Druid, so that you retire at 20 with 9th level spell access on a good skill monkey/ warrior foundation.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-03, 07:29 AM
Just Reached 5th level?

Keep Going. Let nobody stop you.

Adapt or Die.

rbstr
2018-07-03, 09:44 AM
Rogue is a lot less attractive on a Ranger that's using Strength. Particularly with that +1 battleaxe.

With a Strength-based ranger I'd want to try and get Guardian of Nature. Gotta get to level 13 ranger or 5 ranger, 9 druid for that. (or...5 ranger 10 bard?)

Klaus Teufel
2018-07-03, 10:14 AM

What Ranger subclass?
Gloomstalker

Str

Dex

Con

Int

Wis

Cha

Gloomstalker
PHB

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-03, 10:30 AM
Str

Dex

Con

Int

Wis

Cha

Gloomstalker
PHB

Ok well you can't multiclass with only 12 wisdom, you need 13. So you're gonna have to keep going ranger unless your DM lets you skip that rule.

So keep going ranger.

ZorroGames
2018-07-03, 10:48 AM
Try looking here for some ideas:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide

ZorroGames
2018-07-03, 10:50 AM
Ok well you can't multiclass with only 12 wisdom, you need 13. So you're gonna have to keep going ranger unless your DM lets you skip that rule.

So keep going ranger.

He could go Fighter (ST or DE) or Rogue (ST or DE) easily enough.

nickl_2000
2018-07-03, 10:52 AM
He could go Fighter (ST or DE) or Rogue (ST or DE) easily enough.

He can to go into fighter or rogue. However, you need to meet that Ranger standards to multiclass out of Ranger and that requires 13 Wisdom and 13 Dexterity.

ZorroGames
2018-07-03, 11:12 AM
He can to go into fighter or rogue. However, you need to meet that Ranger standards to multiclass out of Ranger and that requires 13 Wisdom and 13 Dexterity.

That is correct, thanks for pointing that out.

Until you bump up a stat you are indeed stuck with Ranger.

Edit: You can diversify a bit with feats like Magic Initiate. 🤨

GlenSmash!
2018-07-03, 11:47 AM
I would stick with Gloom stalker to at least 7 for the extra saving throw proficiency. I'd probably even take it to 11 to get one re-roll per turn for a missed attack.

I would also try to get Wisdom to 13 so I could multiclass into Barbarian for extra durabliity.

Hmm. I wonder if the 19 strength from the gauntlets lets you multiclass into Barbarian, or if it has to be your natural score.

TheUser
2018-07-03, 11:50 AM
Oh haha his wisdom isn't even high enough to multi-class!

CTurbo
2018-07-03, 03:59 PM
Yep his Wis isn't even high enough to multiclass at all. That's why having all that information is needed before filling up 2 pages worth of suggestions. lol

ZorroGames
2018-07-03, 05:30 PM
Yep his Wis isn't even high enough to multiclass at all. That's why having all that information is needed before filling up 2 pages worth of suggestions. lol

I read the 12 as 13. Sigh.

Chaosmancer
2018-07-03, 05:36 PM
I find nothing wrong with going pure ranger for a few more levels. They've got some good spells and the gloomstalkers reroll on a miss is pretty dang good if memory serves

Klaus Teufel
2018-07-03, 06:28 PM
Ouch.
Ok, never mind.:frown:

Klaus Teufel
2018-07-03, 06:29 PM
I would stick with Gloom stalker to at least 7 for the extra saving throw proficiency. I'd probably even take it to 11 to get one re-roll per turn for a missed attack.

I would also try to get Wisdom to 13 so I could multiclass into Barbarian for extra durabliity.

Hmm. I wonder if the 19 strength from the gauntlets lets you multiclass into Barbarian, or if it has to be your natural score.
STR is 17 without. So that's not a problem.

EvilAnagram
2018-07-03, 07:57 PM
Ouch.
Ok, never mind.:frown:

No need for the glum plum face. Your Ranger can be pretty freaking sweet if you boost your Wis a little.

Sorlock Master
2018-07-03, 09:05 PM
I'm playing a 5th level Gnoll Ranger (str19 with ogre-strength gloves, Dex 16).

My party is a motley crew, such that I'm the melee dps/tank of the party(!)

So should I multiclass? Fighter - or Rogue?

Currently I use Battleaxe+1 with shield, with a bonus 1d4 bite.

This forum seems to contain a lot of system experts, so I await your advice!

Str

Dex

Con

Int

Wis

Cha

Gloomstalker
PHB

Go to 8 Ranger bump your WIS. Then you have 3 main options.

Barbarian which will increase your durability quite a bit, but you will lose access to hour hunters mark.

Fighter which will increase your durability by a moderate amount, but increase your damage by a moderate amount.

Rogue which won't give you too much on the durability side but will add lots of damage.

Seeing as you already have a moderate class, your probably best off using another moderate class.

Personally I would go Battle Master. Using a mixture of different maneuvers to either under a damage or durability as necessary.

Ganymede
2018-07-03, 11:00 PM
Yeenoghu would insist you continue taking levels in ranger.

MeeposFire
2018-07-04, 03:33 PM
Cleric - Give yourself Bless, cantrips, and continue your spell progression. Plus you can get heavy armor prof if you choose that.
Rogue - after 2 level your get bonus action disengage/dash and sneak attacks. However, you will need a different weapon for sneak attack since you can't with a battleaxe or your bite. This seems less effective since you already have a bonus action available and you aren't using finesse weapons. Plus it doesn't lend well to the tank role.
Fighter - Get heavy armor, action surge, second wind, and another fighting style (duelist or armored would be good for your style). However, you lose you spell progression
Barbarian - Resistance when raging and more damage based on your strength (if you have the base strength to do it). However, raging would break concentration on hunter's mark if you are using it.

Being both the tank and DPS makes it a little more difficult, but that screams Barbarian to me. Which plays well with your strength scores and weapon choice.

I 100% agree with you that there would need to be a weapon change if the OP was to take a multiclass into rogue and that is an issue but I disagree with your assertion that rogue is not good for the tank role. It does nto sound like it is but really it is pretty nice.

First rogues get uncanny dodge which allows them to halve a nasty attack on them which helps keep them in a fight. Second rogues get evasion which halves or better the damage from dex saves which also helps keep you in a fight better. Sneak attack damage increases your off turn damage so it makes your opportunity attacks more dangerous which makes you stickier as enemies will be even less likely to provoke an attack if they know it will deal that extra damage. Having expertise in athletics can make you better able to grapple or to resist things like grappling. Bonus action dash and disengage allows you to get where you need to be to tank.

The only downsides for it at this point are

1. Losing access to higher level ranger abilities (though this is the case if you multiclass into anything).

2. On average you will get 1 less HP than most warrior type classes (2 less on average than a barbarian).

Honesty the first issue is intrinsic to multiclassing in general so if you are wanting to multiclass into anything that applies and the second is fairly minor so honestly I think rogue makes or a great tank especially if you made sure to get their AC nice and high such as using good armor and a shield.