PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing the bonus of Mage Armor

SnugUndies
2018-07-03, 04:10 AM
So I've noticed an interesting little thread between some prestige classes that has intrigued me: that is, there are a handful of them that increase the bonus provided by spells that improve your AC.

Firstly, and perhaps most famously, is the Abjurant Champion. The Abjurant Armor class feature allows them to increase the armor or shield bonus from any abjuration spell by an amount equal to their Abjurant Champion level, so as much as +5. Secondly, the Mind over Matter class feature of a Paragnostic Apostle allows them to increase the bonus of any "spell that provides an armor bonus" by 2. Finally, the Argent Savant increases by 2 the armor bonus or shield bonus from any force spells.

Of course Abjurant Armor doesn't actually apply to mage armor, humourously enough. But an exalted character could cast greater luminous armor and get a +9 bonus tacked on from these three class features - totalling +17 to AC for one spell, and functionally +21 versus melee attacks. Even the humble shield would provide a +11 shield bonus!

Now, we all know there are better things to pour all of your build features into, but I'm curious how far we can take unassuming AC-boosting spells. Are there any other ways to boost the bonus provided (not counting metamagic)?

Fouredged Sword
2018-07-03, 07:03 AM
The big one is to take legacy champion to finish an abjurant champ build

Wizard 6 / Ruthar 3 / abjurabt champ 5 / legacy champ 6

This had +10 to all abjurent spells that att to defense.

Mordaedil
2018-07-03, 07:11 AM
Abjurant Champion only applies to shield and armor bonuses, so you get +9 from Shield and the luminous armor bit, greater mage armor if you are non-good and get the DM to approve of using the conjuration school spell to still count.

darkdragoon
2018-07-04, 08:46 PM
Guardinal Feather component is another +2.

SnugUndies
2018-07-05, 04:02 PM
Guardinal Feather component is another +2.

Hey, good catch. It only applies to armor bonuses, but getting +19 out of greater luminous armor is pretty hilarious.

The big one is to take legacy champion to finish an abjurant champ build

Wizard 6 / Ruthar 3 / abjurabt champ 5 / legacy champ 6

This had +10 to all abjurent spells that att to defense.

Hmm, good idea. Legacy Champion is always a good go-to for abusing short classes with an ability that progresses. One could also sub in one or more Paragnostic Apostle levels for the Ruathar levels. +12 to abjuration spells that increase AC is nothing to trifle with!

Fouredged Sword
2018-07-05, 04:27 PM
Well, if you are pushing PURE AC, there are lots of little tricks.

Ninja grants martial weapon prof, and wis to AC.

Then enough wis to get into a PRC, then Abjurant champ asap into legacy champ.

The above build just gets 9th level spells as well.

Thurbane
2018-07-05, 04:59 PM
Sanctified One of Wee Jas (CC) - Armor of Law: add your Sanctified One level to your armor bonus.

SnugUndies
2018-07-06, 11:49 PM
Well, if you are pushing PURE AC, there are lots of little tricks.

Ninja grants martial weapon prof, and wis to AC.

Then enough wis to get into a PRC, then Abjurant champ asap into legacy champ.

The above build just gets 9th level spells as well.
Yeah, for flat-out pumping AC, I'm sure there are better ways to go about it. As specific as it may seem, I was just looking at ways to boost the bonus from a single AC-increasing spell, ha ha.

Sanctified One of Wee Jas (CC) - Armor of Law: add your Sanctified One level to your armor bonus.
Hmmm... yes, I suppose that does count. It works even if you're wearing armor, but that's an interesting way to increase the bonus from mage armor and the like, you're correct on that mark.