PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Suggestions for 1st level feats for a Dragon Shaman?

FelineArchmage
2018-07-03, 06:47 AM
Good morning!

We are starting to brainstorm and figure out our characters for our next campaign. We are switching from a super high magical/powered campaign, to a low magic, out in the boonies, tier 4/5 campaign (3.5). It is going to be highly based in flavor, and I have plenty of time to figure out exactly what I'm going to do.

I am playing a dragon shaman and we are doing a 25 point by. Stats that I have chosen (I think - away from my character sheet right now) are STR 14 DEX 8 CON 16 INT 12 WIS 8 CHA 13. Human, no flaws, 2 traits (which are approved homebrew and are mostly flavor, very minor bonuses). Right now I've chosen the copper dragon totem, and will take the ACF (dragon invocation), at level 5.

I have already read this handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?214007-3-5-Dragon-Shaman-Handbook), and I have a general direction of where I want to go for my build. I'm going to mainly focus on the breath weapon/metabreath feat route, but I can't take any metabreath feats until I have a breath weapon (and if I take them now they will be useless), so I'm floundering on what my second first level feat should be. I have already chosen Martial Weapon Proficiency (longsword), but I don't know if I want to take any social/party face feats. I personally don't think I'm up for being the party face (as we are heavy roleplayers), and don't want that stress placed upon me. Any CHA-based skills will most likely just be intimidation/never outnumbered skill trick. Don't want to waste a feat to get diplomacy as a class skill. I also don't think that this campaign is going to be as diplomacy and talking-heavy as our last campaign. I think it's going to be more adventure.

So does anyone have any suggestions for my second first level feat? It can be super flavored instead of mechanically advantageous as long as it's fun. Thought about heavy armor proficiency since I have 8 DEX, but I want that to be my last resort cause it's boring and I can't afford it right now.

(As a side note: Does anyone have any suggestions for how to play a non-dexterous character? I usually play very dexterous characters so this is completely new territory for me.)

Thanks!

noce
2018-07-03, 06:55 AM
I know it's not what you're asking about, but why longsword?
You're proficient with the morning star, which does the same damage.

If it's for the sword flavor, why not take proficiency in bastard sword? The feat cost is identical for longswords and bastard swords, except for the fact that you have to wait for BAB +1.

I'll think about the second feat, maybe I'll have some ideas.

Gnaeus
2018-07-03, 07:40 AM
What books are in play? Tome of battle? Magic of incarna?

PunBlake
2018-07-03, 07:55 AM
I also am kinda disliking Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longsword). Morningstar is fine with a shield. Your AC at level 1 should be 15 (+4 scale mail, +2 heavy shield, -1 Dex Mod), and paying a feat for (basically) an improved critical range isn't that great.

I would personally go with Nymph's Kiss instead (for the extra skill points, assuming you don't have hoops to jump through for it) and Improved Initiative in the other (to shore up your place in turn order and make sure you avoid being caught flatfooted).

noce
2018-07-03, 08:11 AM
Given the race and the fact Dragon Shaman has a short class skill list, Able Learner could be a good feat.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-03, 08:32 AM
I am going to recommend Dragontouched (Dragon Magic p 18). It gives you the Dragonblood subtype, as well as some other minor bonuses (an extra hit point, +1 to Listen, Search, and Spot, +1 to saves vs paralysis and sleep, and you can take draconic feats). The main reason I recommend this is it sets you up to take Entangling Exhalation (Races of the Dragon p 101) or other Breath Channeling feats down the road.

FelineArchmage
2018-07-03, 09:11 AM
I know it's not what you're asking about, but why longsword?
You're proficient with the morning star, which does the same damage.

If it's for the sword flavor, why not take proficiency in bastard sword? The feat cost is identical for longswords and bastard swords, except for the fact that you have to wait for BAB +1.

I also am kinda disliking Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longsword). Morningstar is fine with a shield. Your AC at level 1 should be 15 (+4 scale mail, +2 heavy shield, -1 Dex Mod), and paying a feat for (basically) an improved critical range isn't that great.

I would personally go with Nymph's Kiss instead (for the extra skill points, assuming you don't have hoops to jump through for it) and Improved Initiative in the other (to shore up your place in turn order and make sure you avoid being caught flatfooted).

I'm not 100% invested in Martial Weapon Proficiency (longsword) to start with anyway. I was going to see what everyone suggested and if I found 2 that I liked I was going to switch out.

As awesome as Nymph's Kiss is, I think my DM will make me jump through hoops for it. I'm trying to stay away from BoED and BoVD for feats, because last time I mentioned wanting a feat from BoED he said I wasn't exalted (which is fine, nbd). My PC isn't good-aligned anyway, so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a feat from a book based on pure good.

What books are in play? Tome of battle? Magic of incarna?

Basically any official content that isn't 3rd party. Tome of Battle, yes. Magic of Incarna - probably? I don't think anyone has ever mentioned this book in our group, but it is official content.

I am going to recommend Dragontouched (Dragon Magic p 18). It gives you the Dragonblood subtype, as well as some other minor bonuses (an extra hit point, +1 to Listen, Search, and Spot, +1 to saves vs paralysis and sleep, and you can take draconic feats). The main reason I recommend this is it sets you up to take Entangling Exhalation (Races of the Dragon p 101) or other Breath Channeling feats down the road.

I will look into it!

My DM actually mentioned Dragonborn of Bahamut (probably reflavored/worked into the setting, as Bahamut isn't a deity where we play), but I'm not sure if it's actually on the table yet. He was also talking about letting us take certain feats that we couldn't normally take just for flavor (i.e. Draconic Heritage).

The goal of a dragon shaman is to become more draconic - I just need to figure out when and how. I don't know if it's something I gradually want to work into, or just immediately start out with. I'll have to lay all my choices out side by side.

Given the race and the fact Dragon Shaman has a short class skill list, Able Learner could be a good feat.

I completely agree - the class skill list is very short and... well, pretty terrible. If nothing else comes up and I decide to stay human, I might take this one.

noce
2018-07-03, 09:29 AM
My DM actually mentioned Dragonborn of Bahamut (probably reflavored/worked into the setting, as Bahamut isn't a deity where we play), but I'm not sure if it's actually on the table yet. He was also talking about letting us take certain feats that we couldn't normally take just for flavor (i.e. Draconic Heritage).

The goal of a dragon shaman is to become more draconic - I just need to figure out when and how. I don't know if it's something I gradually want to work into, or just immediately start out with. I'll have to lay all my choices out side by side.

If you can be a dragonborn, Dragon Tail is a very nice feat. I love it for the flavour, and it's even a good pick for the crunch, so both worlds really.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-03, 09:44 AM
Any chance of switching to Dwarf? If you want a better weapon - they get automatic proficiencies. You could get better stats, and their bonus to saves is always nice - especially with that WIS. And with a low DEX, you won't be slowed since you'll always be in heavier armor anyway.

The only thing that you'd really be missing out on is the extra skill point from being human.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-03, 10:43 AM

If Dragonborn is on the table (of Bahamut or otherwise) then I'd highly recommend it. Dragonborn takes place through a transformation, so you can start with it or add it later. It nets you the Dragonblood subtype so you don't need to take the Dragontouched feat to qualify for Breath Channeling feats. You can also either pick up the Wings or Mind aspect to either get a flying movement mode or the improved senses. The combination of these for a Dragon Shaman are worth giving up the human bonus feat.

FelineArchmage
2018-07-03, 11:01 AM
If Dragonborn is on the table (of Bahamut or otherwise) then I'd highly recommend it. Dragonborn takes place through a transformation, so you can start with it or add it later. It nets you the Dragonblood subtype so you don't need to take the Dragontouched feat to qualify for Breath Channeling feats. You can also either pick up the Wings or Mind aspect to either get a flying movement mode or the improved senses. The combination of these for a Dragon Shaman are worth giving up the human bonus feat.

Question though: If I decide to become a dragonborn later, do I lose my human bonus feat and skill points after the transformation? I'm not sure how that works by RAW.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-03, 11:32 AM
Question though: If I decide to become a dragonborn later, do I lose my human bonus feat and skill points after the transformation? I'm not sure how that works by RAW.Yes, you would. So it would be better to start as a dragonborn if you were going to have Human as your original race. However, if you are starting as Dragonborn anyway, you may want to consider a different original race.

When you undergo the transformation, what you keep is your Type and Subtype, just adding the Dragonblood subtype. You combine the Dragonborn +2 CON, -2 DEX modifiers with the ones from your original race. (So an Elf with -2 COn, +2 DEX nets no modifiers, for instance.) Your size and move speeds remain the same. You keep your languages and add Draconic as an automatic language. You get both your original favored class plus Fighter. (There are a couple of other things, but I'm not going to get into Level Adjustments and Racial Hit Dice here.)

But you lost most everything else.

Some interesting race options: Warforged have the Construct Type and Living Construct subtype, to which they add Dragonblood. All of the properties that come with their type and subtype would remain after the transformation. Another interesting choice is the Aquatic Half Elf from Stormwrack. While Aquatic creatures who turn Dragonborn have the annoying problem of only breathing water, these Half Elves don't actually have the Aquatic subtype. They breathe air, not water. But they do have a swim speed which they keep through the transformation. Whisper Gnomes are another choice that benefits from the transformation. Their ability score modifiers when combined with the Dragonborn modifiers net +4 CON, -2 STR, -2 CHA. They are small size but retain their 30 ft land speed. The combination comes away with Favored Class Rogue and Fighter.

FelineArchmage
2018-07-09, 08:52 PM

So I'm definitely taking Dragontouched for one of my feats! Had my DM read it over, and he said it was a pretty decent feat for first level and recommended it. Just gotta figure out the second one now.

Glimbur
2018-07-09, 10:20 PM
Shape soulmeld: rage claws lets you fight to -10 hp for one feat. Not sure if that is the direction you want to take the character but at level 1 effectively 10 extra hp can be a big a deal.

RaiKirah
2018-07-09, 10:47 PM
With Dragontouched you qualify for Shape Soulmeld (Claws of the Wyrm) which gives you good claw attacks that can be primary weapons for two attacks, or secondary attacks with a manufactured weapon. You'll also be considered armed at all times, which can be good.

Fluff wise, you're channeling the spirits of ancient dragons to give you power. Going deeper into incarnum can make you more draconic while working with a cool system.

Another option is to take Dragon Wings to get a glide speed, and at higher levels you can take the improved version for a fly speed

Troacctid
2018-07-10, 01:31 AM
Definitely ditch the longsword. It's a very inefficient feat.

Some generic good feats I like:

Fell Conspiracy, from Exemplars of Evil, requires 4 ranks in Knowledge (religion) and Wisdom 13, and it gives the whole party the ability to cast message as a spell-like ability at will (no cost). If you have 8 ranks in Knowledge (religion), you can spend 50 gp's worth of components to allow the whole party to communicate telepathically with one another, and everyone gets a +2 bonus on Spot and Listen for each other party member nearby (lasts 24 hours). With 12 ranks, you can spend 150 gp's worth of components to make it so no one in the party can be flanked or flat-footed unless all of you are (also lasts 24 hours). This is an awesome boost to party communication and perception if you can meet the prerequisites.
Insane Defiance, from Elder Evils, is a Vile feat that allows you to take a point of Wisdom damage as an immediate action in order to redirect the target of a mind-affecting effect from you to another creature and give them -4 to save. You can even use it on your own or an ally's mind-affecting abilities—have it target you instead of the enemy, then redirect it over to the enemy to make them save with a -4 penalty. This one isn't actually available at level 1 (since it requires +5 base Will save), but it's still a generic good feat, so eh.
Mercantile Background is a regional feat from Player's Guide to Faerun that gives you 300 extra starting gp, lets you sell stuff for 75% the normal price instead of 50%, and allows you to purchase any one item at 75% of the normal price once per month. Super strong boost to your gear and to party loot overall, and good on any character.
Nymph's Kiss you already know about (it's great).
Shape Soulmeld (Lucky Dice) gives you a +1 bonus on basically everything. As a swift action, you choose attack and damage, saving throws, or skill checks, and roll 2d6. If the result is 7, you get a +1 luck bonus on all of them for 1 round; otherwise, you only get the bonus on the one you chose. On a class that doesn't really have uses for swift actions, it's baaasically a luckstone, which is a 20,000 gp value. It even boosts breath weapon damage. If you later take Open Least Chakra (hands), you can bind it to your hands in order to share the bonus with all allies within 30 feet.
Wild Cohort represents a substantial combat boost at low levels.

Fouredged Sword
2018-07-10, 06:44 AM
If you want to hit things have you considered knowledge devotion? It pairs well with the invokation that grants large knowledge check boosts and will help you hit things with weapons.

Simple weapon + knowledge devotion > martial weapon prof feat.

Darrin
2018-07-10, 07:45 AM
Question though: If I decide to become a dragonborn later, do I lose my human bonus feat and skill points after the transformation? I'm not sure how that works by RAW.

Races of the Dragon page 10, under "Mechanics of Rebirth" covers this. You want to pay attention to this sentence in particular:

"If your original race granted you a nonspecific bonus feat (such as the one gained by a human at 1st level), any feat can be lost, so long as it is not a prerequisite for another feat you have." (emphasis added)

This means if you have any feat that was granted as part of your class abilities, you can lose that instead and keep your human bonus feat. This includes the Skill Focus feat you get at Dragon Shaman 2. If you dip into another class, such as Ranger, you can lose Track instead. Also, if you dip into any base class in the PHB, those classes gain armor and/or shield proficiencies as bonus feats, so those can be lost by RAW as well.

While you're on page 10 of Races of the Dragon, look at the "Special:" paragraph down at the bottom of the page. By going Dragonborn, you have the option of trading one of your existing feats for either Dragon Tail or Dragon Wings. The former gives you a tail attack, which you can turn into a third hand via the Prehensile Tail feat. The latter gives you a glide speed and makes you eligible to take Improved Dragon Wings at 6th level for a full 30' Fly speed.