PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Conquest / Storm Sorcadin Help

Jek0708
2018-07-03, 09:12 AM
I would like help or suggestions if anyone has any thoughts on how to accomplish the following better. Not sure if I used the correct prefix as I don't so much wish to optimize the class combo as I want to optimize what I want to do with it.

I am attempting to make an enemy magnet to work in conjunction with another sorcerer during combat while sticking with a thunder and lightning theme. Planning as though we make it to 20, I would reach Paladin 7 and Sorcerer 13. I would focus on making use of Lightning Lure, Booming Blade, Sentinel w/polearm and Aura of Conquest to keep enemies as stuck on or near me as possible while the other Sorcerer fireballs them to death. Encounters where it's not wise to or we are unable to set that up I wished to function as a close ranger caster more than a polearm fighter.

I am aware that I'll have more than a few solid utility spells available to me as well as smites. I won't be neglecting their use as I imagine setting up the above may not happen often but I would still like to build this character with that focus in mind.

I have toyed around with attempting to use a Battle Master Fighter in place of a Conquest Paladin, thinking to make more use of Booming Blade and Trip maneuvers in place of Aura of Conquest but am uncertain to the pros and cons of each.

I am playing a Variant Human. My attribute rolls were 18, 15, 15, 14 , 13, 12. I would prefer to stick with official material (We have the PHB, SCAG and XGTE), but would still like to hear if something in the UA would help me out here as I have most if not all of it available for use. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Exocist
2018-07-03, 09:18 AM
Are you fixated on Storm Sorc? If not, I have something for you:

(Sadly there isn't enough levels to make this combo truly hilarious) Monk of the Long Death 6/Paladin of Conquest 7 can keep using Hour of Reaping to keep enemies within 10 feet of them (if they fail the save). Combo is pretty janky and way too level intensive for my tastes, as well as being complete crap for you action economy but it could work. Take sentinel for a second shot to keep them locked down if they pass the save.

Not sure if there's any other easy (resource-less) ways to inflict fear? Maybe by taking the Menacing feat from Unearthed Arcana?

EDIT: You could probably use Menacing on your current build, now that I come to think of it. It gives you expertise in Intimidation (if you already have that skill), and you get 2 chances to make it work per action (with Expertise and a CHA-based class, they should get frightened nearly 100% of the time, so you can probably frighten 2 creatures per round with it).

Jek0708
2018-07-03, 09:46 AM
While I'm not married to the Storm Sorcerer, I do still want to function more as a caster after I've gotten my non-caster class levels out of the way. And I do need to stick to the thunder and lightning thematic, although I'm now thinking about how much of that I can get around with just fluff details.

I also love the Menacing feat. I'll definitely be making room for that if I stick with Aura of Conquest.