PDA

View Full Version : Index Requilac's Complete Index of Monster Features (In the Core Rules)

Requilac
2018-07-03, 08:37 PM
Greetings everybody! I haven't been on the forum very much as of late, and I am beginning to feel as if I should provide some meaningful contributions to this forum to make up for my silence and, to a lesser extent, former slip-ups into meaningless arguments.

So I have been homebrewing monsters a lot recently, and something I always struggled with was giving the monsters special features and attacks. A list of existing monster features would have been very helpful for me to review. There is a list of features on page 280-281, but I am sure several of you have noticed that it is not complete, and besides that it is also very poorly organized. So I have made my own attempt at creating a comprehensive list of monster features, replete with a list of every monster which has that feature. I have made a couple interesting observations along my way too, which I recorded alongside these lists. It was originally made to help me and other homebrewers find monster features, and to a lesser extent determine what monsters would make sense for the right encounter, but I am sure several players and DMs would like to make use of such an index for a variety of different reasons.

Follow the link below to a google document which contains my Complete Index of Monster Features. Please tell me if there are any features I missed or monsters that I forgot to list. Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TkJShCHzP5GytLRV0g-9RurSfnv3l83FH3rfrpBbpg4/edit?usp=sharing

Aembrosia
2018-07-04, 02:45 PM
Thank you. I appreciate your fine work.

CaptAl
2018-07-04, 08:55 PM
That is super useful for making monsters on the fly, or special hybrid creatures. Thank you

Eric Diaz
2018-07-04, 09:13 PM
Awesome, thank you!

Requilac
2018-07-07, 09:37 PM
Thank you. I appreciate your fine work.

Awesome, thank you!

Thank you for your appreciation. It took me quite some time to make this. I may start evaluating the monsters from Volo's and Mordenkainen's in the nearby future if I feel up to it.

That is super useful for making monsters on the fly, or special hybrid creatures. Thank you

Making monsters on the fly? Skimming through a nearly 20 page document is a lot to read through to make something "on the fly". And I would assume that it would be easier to mash two monster statblocks together and change around some statistics to make a hybrid creature. If it is not a problem, could you please elaborate?

CaptAl
2018-07-08, 06:07 PM
Making monsters on the fly? Skimming through a nearly 20 page document is a lot to read through to make something "on the fly". And I would assume that it would be easier to mash two monster statblocks together and change around some statistics to make a hybrid creature. If it is not a problem, could you please elaborate?

I'm a very fly by the seat of the pants dm. Generally speaking I'm making up stuff on the fly to meet the story needs. This document isn't necessarily something that I would rely on during play but will act as a reminder of cool abilities. Although a quick search for a defensive ability from monster a and an offensive one from monster b would be relatively quick at the table and an easy way to get the hybrid feel without a lot of mashing stat blocks.

It will be very useful for me. Thank you for sharing.

Requilac
2018-07-09, 03:08 PM
I'm a very fly by the seat of the pants dm. Generally speaking I'm making up stuff on the fly to meet the story needs. This document isn't necessarily something that I would rely on during play but will act as a reminder of cool abilities. Although a quick search for a defensive ability from monster a and an offensive one from monster b would be relatively quick at the table and an easy way to get the hybrid feel without a lot of mashing stat blocks.

It will be very useful for me. Thank you for sharing.

Oh I see , so you are more using it as a way to remind yourself of some key special features than actively using it to make a monster in play. That makes sense. I am glad to see that I could be of help.

Oramac
2018-07-09, 03:45 PM
Definitely a useful table. Thank you!

Dragons_Ire
2018-07-10, 04:50 PM
Looks like a very useful resource for certain. Thanks!

dungeonscoast
2020-06-09, 01:52 AM
Is it okay if I upload a version of this document to this thread with hyperlinks to information on the monsters? Or upload it on a brand new post?

EDIT#1: I'm going to upload here in the meantime until further notice.
https:// mega .nz/file/BQpQkSoS#z_H2nMupkWoQhMuRzn74mp3xBOjQx5dXH_WpQtUkQ Es (remove spaces).

EDIT#2: Does uploading a un-hyperlinked link before 10 posts result in a ban?

EDIT#3: Had to reupload the file because it was locked and also had to update a couple of the links.

EDIT#4: You can convert .odt to .docx via an online converter. This however disables the buttons at the end of the document.