PDA

View Full Version : Unique Wizard builds?

ChangeSumFlux
2018-07-03, 11:28 PM
So my Dnd group is going to be doing a one shot where we use the characters and stats gotten from this quiz online, it’s supposed to be based on our personalities and stuff. My character ended up being a lawful neutral human wizard.
We are scaling up our characters to lvl 10 and my starting stats are
Str 11
Dex 10
Con 13
Int 19
Wis 13
Char 11
Multiclassing is allowed but I would prefer not to.
I’m looking for fun or interesting build ideas that may work great or fall on their face. It doesn’t matter how viable the build is since it is a one shot and I’ll never need to use it again if it is terrible.
Please share your ideas and cool combos.
Thanks in Advance!

CTurbo
2018-07-03, 11:50 PM
With stats like that I'd start Mountain Dwarf for the Con boost and medium armor proficiency. Put +1 Con and Int with your level 4 ASI and then you can take a fun feat at level 8.

I'd probably go Abjurer.

Warcaster would be a great choice for a feat for this build.

CTurbo
2018-07-04, 12:04 AM
Can you rearrange the stats at all? That 10 Dex makes me nervous lol

Another idea is Tortle Wizard to get that 17 unarmored AC lol

Quoxis
2018-07-04, 12:08 AM
Mediocre Con and dex?
Go abjuration wizard and get a level of warlock (great old one and celestial work best as they don’t require good cha and don’t give temp hp, which you won’t need becaaause...).
Your warlock spells don’t matter as long as you get yourself „armor of agathys“ - an abjuration spell encasing you in ice armor that grants you temp hp equaling 5x the spell slot level that deals just as much damage on a melee attacker. Use your highest level slot to cast it (5th) for 25 temporary hit points.
„Ugh, but that’s not enough for tanking, and my wizard got crappy hp anyway“
You’re right, honored heckler, BUT an Abjuration wizard gets the „arcane ward“ feature, shielding them for another [wiz level x2 + int] for a neat 22 hp - which aren’t temporary hp, therefore they stack with your AoA.
Add defensive spells like blur (AoA does NOT require concentration), shield etc. to not get hit too often and to avoid spending your points on ranged hits.

And the best part? While your opponent is still trying to gnaw down on your 47hp buffer to eventually hurt you one day in the distant future, you deal 25 cold damage on every melee attack your ward OR armor eats, by how RAW are worded. Meanwhile you can still put those spell slots of yours to use for some blasting, best focusing on ranged opponents as AoA only damages on a melee hit.

My warlock/druid once froze about 3-5 Orcs to death with this, and he obviously didn’t have the arcane ward.

CTurbo
2018-07-04, 12:23 AM
Mediocre Con and dex?
Go abjuration wizard and get a level of warlock (great old one and celestial work best as they don’t require good cha and don’t give temp hp, which you won’t need becaaause...).
Your warlock spells don’t matter as long as you get yourself „armor of agathys“ - an abjuration spell encasing you in ice armor that grants you temp hp equaling 5x the spell slot level that deals just as much damage on a melee attacker. Use your highest level slot to cast it (5th) for 25 temporary hit points.
You’re right, honored heckler, BUT an Abjuration wizard gets the „arcane ward“ feature, shielding them for another [wiz level x2 + int] for a neat 22 hp - which aren’t temporary hp, therefore they stack with your AoA.
Add defensive spells like blur (AoA does NOT require concentration), shield etc. to not get hit too often and to avoid spending your points on ranged hits.

And the best part? While your opponent is still trying to gnaw down on your 47hp buffer to eventually hurt you one day in the distant future, you deal 25 cold damage on every melee attack your ward OR armor eats, by how RAW are worded. Meanwhile you can still put those spell slots of yours to use for some blasting, best focusing on ranged opponents as AoA only damages on a melee hit.

My warlock/druid once froze about 3-5 Orcs to death with this, and he obviously didn’t have the arcane ward.

He said he didn't really want to multiclass, and his Cha is not even high enough to qualify to multi into any Cha class.

ZenBear
2018-07-04, 12:37 AM
He said he didn't really want to multiclass, and his Cha is not even high enough to qualify to multi into any Cha class.

Magic Initiate: Warlock. Snag Eldritch Blast and whatever else, plus AoA.

prototype00
2018-07-04, 12:46 AM
Master of Rerolls:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fSK0AcFqkyU

MaxWilson
2018-07-04, 12:57 AM
Mediocre Con and dex?

If you're going to do this you might as well go warlock 2 for at-will Mage Armor to recharge your Arcane Ward.

Note BTW that Arcane Ward is not you and so does not benefit from your damage resistance, otherwise you'd want to use Blade Ward too. (I mean, Blade Ward + AoA is still good, but only after you're out of Arcane Ward HP.)

I don't have anything interesting to say about build ideas though, sorry. If it were me I'd look at those stats and go, "hmph, I guess I'm a rather scrawny Mobile human Enchanter 10/Life Cleric 1 in plate armor (using Mobile to offset the speed penalty)." I'd rely on Booming Blade for melee, but mostly I'd just have fun tanking it up with Instinctive Charm and Hypnotic Gaze while tossing the occasional Fear or Hold Person/Monster or Wall of Force.

Quoxis
2018-07-04, 12:59 AM
Magic Initiate: Warlock. Snag Eldritch Blast and whatever else, plus AoA.

Can’t upcast spells gotten via magic initiate - 5 temp hp won’t really do much.

As for the „not enough cha to mc“: you realize he’ll get 2 ASI on the way up to level 10, and that races give up to 4 bonus points to ability scores, right, CTurbo?
„But he don’t want no mc“: fine. Variant human war wizard, war caster feat, shield, mage armor, fireball. Boring.

Quoxis
2018-07-04, 01:00 AM
If you're going to do this you might as well go warlock 2 for at-will Mage Armor to recharge your Arcane Ward.

Note BTW that Arcane Ward is not you and so does not benefit from your damage resistance, otherwise you'd want to use Blade Ward too. (I mean, Blade Ward + AoA is still good, but only after you're out of Arcane Ward HP.)

No 5th level slots and fewer arcane ward AND AoA hp then, because it’s only an 8th level wizard - not worth it imo.

MaxWilson
2018-07-04, 01:02 AM
No 5th level slots and fewer arcane ward AND AoA hp then, because it’s only an 8th level wizard - not worth it imo.

Oh, for some reason I was thinking it was level 11. (I wonder BTW: does your Arcane Ward + Armor of Agathys combo vanish if you Polymorph into a Tyrannosaur? Inquiring minds want to know. As a DM I can see it either way.)

In that case, I'd be a Mobile human Enchanter 9/Life Cleric 1. But I'd still rely on Mobile + plate armor + Booming Blade/Instinctive Charm/etc. per above. The key thing is that Instinctive Charm is a fun feature but it's only really good if you have the AC to hang out in melee range, so you need to multi-class. Your Wis 13 is just enough to let you multiclass cleric, and then human lets you go Mobile to cancel out the speed penalty.

Other fun cleric spells for that niche include Shield of Faith and Sanctuary. If you went Forge cleric instead of Life you could get AC 23 + disadvantage to enemies from Dodging, which is enough to make Instinctive Charm quite fun.

Daithi
2018-07-04, 01:07 AM
Jim Butcher -- Dresden Files style wizard
A wizard that pumps his INT (Investigate) skill really high and solves crimes. With Unearthed Arcana there some things to help flesh this build out. Specifically, the UA Skills Feats actually has an Investigator feat that adds +1 to INT and gives you expertise in Investigate. The UA Raven Queen warlock also gives you +5 to passive investigate.

Falcon X
2018-07-04, 01:09 AM
Dip 1 level Cleric.
Life or Nature domain for heavy armor to make up for not having any Dex. Or Defense style Fighter for similar effect, but with no bonus spells prepared :(
Now you have solid defense, double as a healer, and have extra utility.

Go war mage to keep pumping that AC if you want, though every arcane tradition is viable.

Lord8Ball
2018-07-04, 01:13 AM
Go conjuration wizard and take the keen mind feat if you are going variant human. Due to being able to accurately remember anything within the past month the wizard can use their class ability to recreate the spell book from memory or use just the memory itself; however, preparation itself still takes the long rest. Then take 3 levels in divine soul sorcerer for the subtle and heightened metamagic. The subtle spell will allow you to cast spells when restrained or without a spellbook and since your summoned object glows dim light, allowing you to prepare spells in the dark, you will be very hard pressed to be disarmed. From there you can use the heightened spell on saving throw spells such as banishment to great effect. As a bonus, your wizard can cast some spells from the cleric list that would be good for defense and healing.

Another option seeing as you will be ac starved is going bladesinger. As a variant human, you can pick go pick up athletics proficiency go prodigy to expertise it, take the grappler feat and for your final feat mage initiate warlock to give enemies disadvantage on your grapples and pin checks.

Aaron Underhand
2018-07-04, 01:30 AM
So my Dnd group is going to be doing a one shot where we use the characters and stats gotten from this quiz online, it’s supposed to be based on our personalities and stuff. My character ended up being a lawful neutral human wizard.
We are scaling up our characters to lvl 10 and my starting stats are
Str 11
Dex 10
Con 13
Int 19
Wis 13
Char 11
Multiclassing is allowed but I would prefer not to.
I’m looking for fun or interesting build ideas that may work great or fall on their face. It doesn’t matter how viable the build is since it is a one shot and I’ll never need to use it again if it is terrible.
Please share your ideas and cool combos.
Thanks in Advance!

I know you said you'd prefer not to multiclass, but... Dex? Ugh.

Just using the PHB...

I would take a high elf. Because start Int at 20, and shore up Dex

I would take one level of Knowledge or Arcana cleric at first for Medium armour and shield and more spell variety and prepared spells. You do give up 10th level wizard features - but you still get 5th level wizard spells, and all the slots. Trading a high level feature for more survivability, and more low level spell utility.

Feat at 4th - Resilient con - at 10th level better than warcaster IMHO

Feat at 8th - Well dex +2 has some appeal, or you could try Alert, Lucky, MI, Spell Sniper or even Wis+1 feat (observant?) or Wis+1, Str +1

Quoxis
2018-07-04, 05:48 AM
Another option seeing as you will be ac starved is going bladesinger. As a variant human, you can pick go pick up athletics proficiency go prodigy to expertise it, take the grappler feat and for your final feat mage initiate warlock to give enemies disadvantage on your grapples and pin checks.

Grapple+Shove tactics take two turns if you don’t have shield master or something similar, so at least one turn you‘re getting attacked without disadvantage - which isn’t ideal considering the d6 hit die.

ChangeSumFlux
2018-07-04, 10:22 AM
Sorry I didn’t make this clear, these stats are supposedly after the racial bonuses of a non variant human. Something I can’t change, so I’m kind of stuck with them. (And I can’t rearrange them, there are what they are.)
Also, I’m fine dipping 1 or 2 lvls elsewhere, I just want the core of my character to remain wizard.

8wGremlin
2018-07-04, 03:15 PM
Str 11
Dex 10
Con 13
Int 19
Wis 13
Char 11

with those stats, you can only multiclass with Cleric and Druid.

My Suggestion is that:
you start the game with a cleric, that has access to heavy armour, whilst you don't have the strength to pull this off at the moment, you can get gauntlets of ogre power (or make them yourself), this would give you enough AC not to be impacted by plate armour and shield - which as you have proficiency in, allows you to cast spells whilst wearing it.

Forge, Life, Nature, War and Tempest all give you access to Heavy Armour (depending upon which books you have access too)

I would probabally lean towards Life or Forge, you only need the 1st level of cleric.
Then take 9 levels of Wizard, this will give you access to 5th level spells and you'll actually know some to cast.

You'll have 2 ASI i'd suggest taking a ASI/feats to up your INT to 20 and some to your CON.

Make sure you have a hand free to cast your spells, or you'll need Warcaster, some people will suggest taking Resilient (con) and that's a fine choice also.

Make sure you have 'Shield' spell. with that as the basis of you chassis you can then build the rest how you like, knowing that you have a decent AC for a wizard. (but you'll need the gauntlets, otherwise you have a reduced move speed, nothing more)

Brundle
2018-07-04, 05:04 PM
ignore the dex issue by playing a tortle 17c all the time, as for asi take int/con and a feat or take resilient con and int/wis for total 16 wis

the less fun but phb version I guess would be dwarf with an asi con/int and warcaster and war mage for even more armor

or the pure mage any +1 int race resilient con and warcaster for strong concentration save's

the dwarf/tank mage is fun for one offs tho

DerficusRex
2018-07-04, 05:08 PM

My Suggestion is that:
you start the game with a cleric, that has access to heavy armour, whilst you don't have the strength to pull this off at the moment, you can get gauntlets of ogre power (or make them yourself), this would give you enough AC not to be impacted by plate armour and shield - which as you have proficiency in, allows you to cast spells whilst wearing it.

Forge, Life, Nature, War and Tempest all give you access to Heavy Armour (depending upon which books you have access too)

I would probabally lean towards Life or Forge, you only need the 1st level of cleric.
Then take 9 levels of Wizard, this will give you access to 5th level spells and you'll actually know some to cast.

You'll have 2 ASI i'd suggest taking a ASI/feats to up your INT to 20 and some to your CON.

Make sure you have a hand free to cast your spells, or you'll need Warcaster, some people will suggest taking Resilient (con) and that's a fine choice also.

Make sure you have 'Shield' spell. with that as the basis of you chassis you can then build the rest how you like, knowing that you have a decent AC for a wizard. (but you'll need the gauntlets, otherwise you have a reduced move speed, nothing more)

If Tempest cleric is the selection, it might be worth considering a second level to pick up Destructive Wrath. Admittedly, it'd put wizard spell progression back another level, but a once-per-short-rest maximum damage lightning bolt would be very satisfying. :)

Aaron Underhand
2018-07-04, 05:15 PM

My Suggestion is that:

Ah non variant human, and those stats

I agree very much with the above analysis, however I still prefer medium armour - Arcana or Knowledge cleric.. the reason is I don't want to assume a specific magic items drops:

With two ASIs in Strength you can get AC 18 from plate (leaving INT at 19)

with one ASI in Str you can get AC 16 from chain

with one ASI in Dex you can get AC 16 from half plate (medium armour), plus the extra +1 to initiative and Dex saving throws...

with no ASI you can get AC 14 from ring (heavy armour)
with no ASI you can get AC 15 from half plate (medium armour)

You want one ASI to maximise INT (and a plus to CON I suggest)
If you're carrying a shield and want the option to cast spells as a reaction (shield or say "hold person") then Warcaster is one ASI

Thus AC 15, with shield 17, with shield spell 22.

zinycor
2018-07-04, 05:48 PM
I say go diviner, pick halfling as your race, pick the lucky feat and bountiful luck (From Xanathar's guide to everything) . No bad rolls for you and your friends.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-04, 06:26 PM
At least Wizard 8, I'd say; you probably want to nab Resilient Con and +1 Int/+1 Wis, and honestly, you proooobably want 5th level spells as well. You can probably afford to drop level 10, and I would probably recommend some sort of dip, because your defense is going to be AWFUL otherwise. A Cleric dip is probably best-- Forge, Life, Nature, Tempest, or War. And Protection/Order, if UA is allowed... in any case, Forge (+1 AC), Nature (+1 utility cantrip and skill), and the two UA ones probably offer the best domain bonuses, and none of them offer particularly amazing spells... so, really, whatever pairs best with your preferred Wizard tradition.

CTurbo
2018-07-04, 06:34 PM
Sorry I didn’t make this clear, these stats are supposedly after the racial bonuses of a non variant human. Something I can’t change, so I’m kind of stuck with them. (And I can’t rearrange them, there are what they are.)
Also, I’m fine dipping 1 or 2 lvls elsewhere, I just want the core of my character to remain wizard.

ok then.

I would start Knowledge Cleric 1, then go Abjurer Wizard
put +1 Int and Con at level 4
put +2 Dex at level 8
take Warcaster when you get to level 12

Wear Medium Armor and use shield but keep your other hand free.

ChangeSumFlux
2018-07-04, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies and info. There is a lot of good advice out there. I also got word from my DM that stat requirements are not needed for multiclassing during this one shot since we had little control over our starting stats. So warlock is a posibility.

Just to make sure everyone understands:
This is a one shot, this character is going to be a static lvl 10, no need to plan for the future.
I am stuck being a nonvariant human (stats already set)
The only customization I have is the feats/abilities/multiclassing.
This character is for fun, I don't care if my AC or anything sucks. I just want this character to be interesting and have cool combos or something.

With those tidbits in mind, I would like to hear cool ideas that people have, I'm not trying to optimize this character, if he fails completely so be it. I just want something that will be fun to play and interesting.

Think of this as being able to make a character meant solely for one stupid/fun purpose. This is my chance to play a fun one trick pony character, I'm just stuck being a wizard.

Again, thanks all for the advice.

DerficusRex
2018-07-04, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies and info. There is a lot of good advice out there. I also got word from my DM that stat requirements are not needed for multiclassing during this one shot since we had little control over our starting stats. So warlock is a posibility.

Just to make sure everyone understands:
This is a one shot, this character is going to be a static lvl 10, no need to plan for the future.
I am stuck being a nonvariant human (stats already set)
The only customization I have is the feats/abilities/multiclassing.
This character is for fun, I don't care if my AC or anything sucks. I just want this character to be interesting and have cool combos or something.

With those tidbits in mind, I would like to hear cool ideas that people have, I'm not trying to optimize this character, if he fails completely so be it. I just want something that will be fun to play and interesting.

Think of this as being able to make a character meant solely for one stupid/fun purpose. This is my chance to play a fun one trick pony character, I'm just stuck being a wizard.

Again, thanks all for the advice.

Ooh, well - a couple levels of warlock does offer some fun toys. If you go with a Celestial patron you get a bonus action heal that works at range, good for emergencies.

I'd probably take two levels and pick up a couple interesting invocations - probably Mask of Many Faces for at-will Disguise Self (that has definite potential for some fun), and either Armor of Shadows for at-will mage armor, or Repelling Blast to be able to move targets around with Eldritch Blast. Since your charisma is only 11, it's not really worth picking up Agonizing Blast anyway.

The mage armor from the Armor of Shadows invocation could be used to recharge your Arcane Ward if you decide to take Abjuration as your wizard school. Transmutation will let you make a Transmuter's Stone, which can do all sorts of neat things. Divination for Portent is very cool.

Hmm.. if you wanted to go Divination you could pair it with a level or two of Knowledge domain cleric, get armor and Know All The Things. And I'm still partial to Tempest cleric for max-damage lightning bolts. :)

MaxWilson
2018-07-04, 10:48 PM

Again, a scrawny-but-heavily-armored Cleric/Enchanter who makes enemies hit each other with Instinctive Charm while hypnotizing with Hypnotic Gaze (or just Dodging) seems like it could be fun. I'm sure others will have different ideas (like an Enchanter/Moon Druid who turns into a giant constrictor snake and then hypnotizes people with his eyes) but that's the only wizard build idea that comes to me off the top of my head. I could probably give some ideas for personality/themes based on those stats but I think you're looking primarily for mechanical build ideas...

8wGremlin
2018-07-05, 08:25 PM
With no Multiclass issues...

Perhaps you could be a Conquest Paladin/Enchanter Wizard

I'd suggest 3/7. you'd have 5th level slots but no 5th level spells, so you'd use the 5th level spell slot to upcast a spell.
You get access to Armor of Agathys (so I would up cast that)

You'd get: heavy armour proficiency, shield proficiency, martial weapons.

Arcane Recovery.When you finish a short rest, regain spell slots totalling no more than 4, and each must be 5th level or lower. (use once/day).
Divine Sense.Within 60 ft., detect presense of undead, celestial, or fiend. Also detect consecrated or desecrated object or place (use 3 times/long rest).

Lay on Hands.You have a healing pool of 15 HPs, with it you can heal a creature or expend 5 points to cure disease or neutralise poison (use 15 times/long rest).

Conquering Presence.You can use your Channel Divinity to exude a terrifying presence. As an action, you force each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a creature becomes frightened of you for 1 minute. The frightened creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Fighting Style. perhaps Defence: While you are wearing armour, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Divine Health.Immune to disease.

Divine Smite.When you hit with melee weapon attack, you can expend 1 X-th level spell slot to deal extra (X+1)d8 radiant damage, up to 5d8. Additional d8 on fiend or undead.

Enchantment Savant.Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy an enchantment spell into your spellbook is halved.

Channel Divinity: Guided Strike.You can use your Channel Divinity to strike with supernatural accuracy. When you make an attack roll, you can use your Channel Divinity to gain a +10 bonus to the roll. You make this choice after you see the roll, but before the DM says whether the attack hits or misses. this includes spell attacks!

Hypnotic Gaze.Starting at 2nd level when you choose this school, your soft words and enchanting gaze can magically enthrall another creature. As an action, choose one creature that you can see within 5 feet of you. If the target can see or hear you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your wizard spell save DC or be charmed by you until the end of your next turn. The charmed creature’s speed drops to 0, and the creature is incapacitated and visibly dazed. On subsequent turns, you can use your action to maintain this effect, extending its duration until the end of your next turn. However, the effect ends if you move more than 5 feet away from the creature, if the creature can neither see nor hear you, or if the creature takes damage. Once the effect ends, or if the creature succeeds on its initial saving throw against this effect, you can’t use this feature on that creature again until you finish a long rest.

Instinctive Charm.Beginning at 6th level, when a creature you can see within 30 feet of you makes an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to divert the attack, provided that another creature is within the attack’s range. The attacker must make a Wisdom saving throw against your wizard spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker must target the creature that is closest to it, not including you or itself. If multiple creatures are closest, the attacker chooses which one to target. On a successful save, you can’t use this feature on the attacker again until you finish a long rest. You must choose to use this feature before knowing whether the attack hits or misses. Creatures that can’t be charmed are immune to this effect.

opaopajr
2018-07-06, 03:52 AM
You should totally be a lvl 10 Transmuter. That extra Polymorph per S/L Rest will be fun! And then you get a Transmuter's Stone and Minor Alchemy, too! :smallcool:

Use Minor Alchemy to turn gateway arch keystones into silver or wood and then watch it all collapse. Use the Transmuter Stone to loan out ability's to party members, for favors in return! :smallwink: And then you can go do something cool, like go be a reef shark! :smallbiggrin:

Why worry about AC when you can be a Giant Octopus or Giant Vulture! Oooh, be a Riding Horse and masquerade as a hidden party member! :smalltongue: Or be a reef shark! :smallbiggrin:

Myan
2018-07-06, 05:07 AM
Ok, I don't know if the build is powerful but Id definitely play it: The Divine loremaster or the divine arcane spy., even the divine assassin if you want.

If you can use the Unearthed Arcana, take the faithful option, the theurgy tradition. It basically allows you to gain some benefit of a cleric domain, choose Knowledge.
With that, at level 10, you can:
- Channel "divinity" (arcana, in fact) twice each short rest and you can:
- Use it to buff a spell attack or a spell DC by +2 (to a neat 19).
- Use it to gain proficiency on any skill or tool for 10 min
- Use it to read the mind of people and the cast a free suggestion at them.
- You'll also gain double proficiency on 2 knowledge skill and two more language
- And last but not least you can learn and cast cleric spell, especially for this build some neat divination spell (speak with dead, divination, augury, find trap, commune, etc)
Add your 3 feat: Linguist, Observant and Keen mind and then tour Int is 20 and your WIs 14 and:
- You can write cyphers
- Read lips
- Never forget anything
- Have a great passive perception.
Play an old dude that is like 60+ or something, the wise old man who's done it all, seen it all and knows everything and speak 10 languages (if you take acolyte or sage background).

And there is more: if you're willing to lose one spell level, a feat and to multiclass 3 level, then go to the rogue, for 2 more double proficiency and a bit of a rogue archetype:

- Assassin: Disguise and Poison kit + If you act before your target your spell attack have advantage and if you surprise your foes(you can cast invisibility) they're critical hit. For this i think one of your feat should be vigilant for the initiative bonus.

- Inquisitive (from Xanathar) : Don't be lied to (double prof on insight + observant mean a minimum of 18 on your check) and Spot and Investigate check as bonus action

- Mastermind: two more languages (yeah!!) and some cool tool and help another as a bonus action at 9m (because you're so wise that you always have the right advice for your companions) .