PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Dread Necromancer homebrew

ihuk
2018-07-03, 11:39 PM
So I like the concept of the dread necromancer but have a problem with how if it is or becomes undead that some class features don't work. This is my first homebrew attempt so sorry if things are a complete mess.

Spells, gain level zero spells, detect magic, read magic, detect ghost, prestidigitation

LEVEL 3 ADVANCED LEARNING learn two new spells from the necromancy school. occurs again at level 6, 9, 12, 15, 18

LEVEL 4 MENTAL BASTION same as book, unless player is undead, in which case player gains a +2 to will, this increases to a +4 at level 14

LEVEL 8 UNDEAD MASTERY changed to only give a +4 dex enchantment bonus and +2 hp per HD to undead under players control. everything else remains unchanged

LEVEL 8 BONUS FEAT corpsecrafter

LEVEL 9 ENERGY RESISTANCE gain a +4 to resist positive or negative energy effects

LEVEL 10 NECROTIC ATROPHY 50% chance to ignore crits, poison and disease, unless player is undead, in which case player gains +2 hp per HD. replaces light fortification

LEVEL 17 BONUS FEAT replaces light fortification

LEVEL 19 CRAFT WONDEROUS ITEM OR BONUS FEAT

LEVEL 20 LICH TRANSFORMATION OR BONUS FEAT

The Magister
2018-07-05, 06:14 PM
I'm assuming that the lich transformation is free or at least reduced in cost. Doesn't seem very fair, otherwise, when the alternative is an extra feat.

ihuk
2018-07-06, 01:53 AM
I'm assuming that the lich transformation is free or at least reduced in cost. Doesn't seem very fair, otherwise, when the alternative is an extra feat.

lich transformation is free. I should have worded it as lich transformation or free feat if already undead

Maat Mons
2018-07-06, 03:04 AM
Okay, so, all these class features that work one way for undead, and another way for living characters. When the dread necromancer class itself makes you undead, do those all convert over to the undead version? As if you'd been undead the whole time?

What properties do you think the rework should posses?

Should it be possible for a necropolitan to take the dread necromancer class and, at level 20, "upgrade" into a lich? Should it be possible for a lich to take the dread necromancer class and, at level 20, lose his +4 level adjustment? Should it be possible for a humanoid to take the 20th level of dread necromancer and choose not to become a lich? Should a non-humanoid be able to use dread necromancer to become a sort of pseudo lich?

ihuk
2018-07-06, 06:40 AM
Okay, so, all these class features that work one way for undead, and another way for living characters. When the dread necromancer class itself makes you undead, do those all convert over to the undead version? As if you'd been undead the whole time?

What properties do you think the rework should posses?

Should it be possible for a necropolitan to take the dread necromancer class and, at level 20, "upgrade" into a lich? Should it be possible for a lich to take the dread necromancer class and, at level 20, lose his +4 level adjustment? Should it be possible for a humanoid to take the 20th level of dread necromancer and choose not to become a lich? Should a non-humanoid be able to use dread necromancer to become a sort of pseudo lich?

The abilities should switch from the living to undead versions if the character becomes undead from either the class or acquiring a template.

If the player wants to go from necropolitan or anything to lich they can. (I'm used to a gm that gives out templates like candy, so I've gotten in the habit of assuming by lvl 12 players have acquired a template of their choosing)